U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

Hi:
I currently live in Portland OR and looking to move. Although, I love the area, I am tired of all the riots and protests, the large population of transients all over town, the high cost of living, and the far left attitude of Portland. Portland used to be a wonderful city up until a few years ago. I have the opportunity to relocate to Grand Junction. I've passed through several times and have spend some time in the area. However, what is it like to live in Grand Junction? Will I have the same problems as Portland? Is it a friendly town? I consider myself a moderate and neither a conservative or liberal. Would I fit in here. I am almost ready to retire. Is GJT a good place to retire? How is the cost of living? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 AM

2,767 posts, read 3,453,112 times
Cost of living, smack average. Transients? Some in some places. Good place to retire? Maybe if you want access to desert, mtns and are satisfied with a modest sized city (1/15th the size of Portland metro), enough medical for most, etc. Climate is cold & dry then hot & dry. Politics is mixed. More moderate & conservative on state & national elections but some things might appear liberal locally, i.e. social services for those who can't figure it out / do it alone. What is it like? 166 threads available to read via search tool (Grand Junction in title). Check them out and / or ask more questions. Good luck with the research.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-31-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 AM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
OP, I've updated a thread from early last year that should give a little perspective on the area. I've got some input in here, I might weigh in later about the latest news of the Grand Valley in general.

Welcome to City Data's Colorado forum!

Old 05-31-2017, 12:04 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGreg View Post
Hi:
I currently live in Portland OR and looking to move. Although, I love the area, I am tired of all the riots and protests, the large population of transients all over town, the high cost of living, and the far left attitude of Portland. Portland used to be a wonderful city up until a few years ago. I have the opportunity to relocate to Grand Junction. I've passed through several times and have spend some time in the area. However, what is it like to live in Grand Junction? Will I have the same problems as Portland? Is it a friendly town? I consider myself a moderate and neither a conservative or liberal. Would I fit in here. I am almost ready to retire. Is GJT a good place to retire? How is the cost of living? Thanks for any input.
I'd recommend Colorado Springs its not a communist spawning ground like Portland is however its still got alot of fun things to do unlike grand junction... The springs is also alot cheaper than Portland housing wise as well.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:21 PM

459 posts, read 142,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I'd recommend Colorado Springs its not a communist spawning ground like Portland is however its still got alot of fun things to do unlike grand junction... The springs is also alot cheaper than Portland housing wise as well.
probably not an option:

Quote:
Hi:
It's a nice place. If you like weed, it's not too far down the interstate to buy it.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 4,397,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Depends on your definition of fun, but there is always plenty to do in Grand Junction.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
I'd say the ability to live happily in Grand Junction is directly related to what you perceive as fun and recreation compared to what you do in Portland. Everything about Grand Junction is the opposite of Portland; population density, water, terrain, social amenities, music venues, you name it.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:03 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I'd say the ability to live happily in Grand Junction is directly related to what you perceive as fun and recreation compared to what you do in Portland. Everything about Grand Junction is the opposite of Portland; population density, water, terrain, social amenities, music venues, you name it.
Yep thats why I recommend Colorado Springs. Going from Portland to Grand Junction could be a huge shock.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:28 PM

333 posts, read 205,925 times
Quote:
Hi:
Since you said that you have the opportunity to relocate to Grand Junction, I assume that is where
your job would be, so here are a few observations about Grand Junction unless you actually might
commute by helicopter from Colorado Springs.

You have probably checked it out-GJ is about 60k population and the whole Grand Valley is about 100k.
So it is a lot smaller than PDX, but takes up maybe even more space. If what you love about Portland
is the greenery, the Columbia Gorge, Powell Books, or Sellsville, etc. it will be different. It's a desert-
plateau country, but you can find lakes and forest just an hour away on top of the Grand Mesa. The
curvy Main Street is about as close to a "funky vibe" as you will find. You have Colo Natl Monument
just outside of town, and an hour and a half gets you to the Canyon country of Utah: Moab, Arches,
Canyonlands, etc. with mountain biking, jeeping, hiking, etc. Some golf courses around town, and a
state university provides most of the sports teams that residents like to follow.

Grand Junction gets more snow than Portland, although less than most of Colorado. It's a dry climate,
and the summer temps can hit 100, while the winters are also drier than Portland, they are colder. I
think it is still quite friendly, although it has grown, and lots of residents are from somewhere else. As
far as a retirement area, it is noted for that. About a decade ago, Grand Junction was actively
marketing themselves in Southern California as a place for Californians to move to for retirement.

You won't have to worry about the "far left attitude" Mesa County is one of the Republican strong
holds in Colorado, and plenty of moderate folks can also be found in the area. Cost of living will seem
very reasonable by comparison. Much lower property taxes. Recreation is more outdoor oriented than
urban. Some cultural/arty stuff if you look for it. Maybe think of it as a larger version of Pendleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado