Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm on my way! Finally got the construction loan for my 800 sq.ft. retirement house in Ridgway! On track to move to Ridgway next April in retirement.

It's funny- two appraisers couldn't find anything comparable, one came in very low, the other right where I needed to be, but still no comps. Is no one building small houses? Not those vaunted "tiny houses," which you really can't put anywhere except your parents' backyard or Timbuktu, but a house the size of a small two-bedroom apartment. It's all I ever wanted- an apartment that wasn't attached to other apartments.

I am finding all sorts of interesting things out about Ridgway and even Montrose. There is a vibrant co-working space in Montrose, and one starting up in Ridgway. There was a great-looking remote job posted on indeed.com for someone headquartered in Ridgway to do background checks and write literate reports for $20-$35/hour (like it was written for me).

I am coming to visit for the last time as a visitor June 3-13. I'm meeting up with two horse people, two dog people, Ridgway's mayor (and The Mac Doctor) and a couple of people I've met in person from this forum. Also, of course, my builder, to finalize the interior, and the landscape architect, to make sure my little property conforms to town requirements (it's in the historic residential district).

I also hope to get a little tour of Telluride, which I feel is sort of above my pay grade so to speak, but seems to be a local center of some culture and 'sigh' restaurants. I so love restaurants. Not exactly the best love on retirement income...

I also found a monthly atheist gathering in Montrose area, and will go to their meeting.

If anyone reading this would like to grab lunch in Ridgway or somewhere, please message me. I will mostly be in Ridgway and Montrose, but will likely make a quick trip to Delta and one to Cortez. So love driving in sight of the mountains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Again, I envy you for being able to live in paradise.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM

Thank you. Hey, if you wanna come up, be my guest for lunch!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:52 PM

235 posts, read 355,207 times
Kudos to you for building small.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Ran across the name Ted Moews (Art & Design in Ridgway). Built some cabins and other stuff. You might already know. Saw a 600 log cabin he built. I would think he might have built some other, non-log comps or know of them.

Anything useful here? https://www.firesidedurango.com/videos/
I dunno. The Three Springs homes might be a comp, with or without them.

Not sure if can get the info you seek cleanly from guest houses / manager quarters on area properties, but did the appraisers check that route? Back into it: total price - land value - primary residence equivalent value roughly equals the accessory dwelling value? Or maybe look at mtn stand-alone rental properties? I would think there would have to be some comps nearby.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-22-2017 at 11:43 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, but the second appraiser came in at a workable amount of loan, despite the lack of exact comps.

When I hired my builder from Montrose last year, I asked him if he ever built anything this small, and he said, "Not that was a house." He is now focusing his business on "smaller" houses, like 1500 sq.ft. and smaller. These town lots are small- not quite 7,000 sq.ft. and are mostly kind of long and narrow. With the setbacks and all, small makes more sense. I think there are also height limits (so you don't block your neighbor's solar or light). I didn't pay much attention to that, as I am building a single-level house for my impending aging! I might add solar to the south side, which is a prime place for it, but at present will wait to see if it makes financial sense. As much as I'd like to support the technology and use that major sun, I have to think about cost and possible resale, even if resale does mean "my estate."

The legal minimum size in the historic residential district is a 20 x 20 footprint.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 AM

I just looked up Ted Moews, what a story! Thanks for the name.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Default Breakfast!

Good morning BDL!

Will dm you a little later!

Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Only just now saw your thread. If you want a guided tour of Telluride/Mountain Village, I'm your gal! Maybe we could take in the greater Nucla/Naturita metro area while we're at it!

Looking forward to your visit!

Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Only just now saw your thread. If you want a guided tour of Telluride/Mountain Village, I'm your gal! Maybe we could take in the greater Nucla/Naturita metro area while we're at it!

Looking forward to your visit!

And a nice stroll through downtown Sawpit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado