U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 AM

204 posts, read 197,573 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI that Colorado is very competitive for counselors because everybody wants to live here, and counseling is (generally) a pretty portable career. That translates to lower wages for available positions, and a higher cost of living. Houston is a bargain by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,954,457 times
For getting professional opportunities for both you and your husband, near the big city, within reach of mountains , some chance of getting 2 usable acres and potential future access to PhD. programs, look outside Greeley.

Outside Littleton could work for you but not husband unless he is an office worker or on /off commuter field worker.

Durango, no, if you want / need big cities or moderate sized cities. It is a modest sized town with a lot of rural subdivisions but not much a city compared to real cities.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-06-2017 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 AM

13,217 posts, read 24,272,238 times
OP, did you ever mention a budget? That is what we need to start.

Wanting to be near big/mid-sized cities puts you in a stretch that ranges from Colorado Springs up to Fort Collins. There really aren't any other options outside of that range.

I wake up and see mountains. Many of us do, and even more of us don't. And even fewer of us are on two acres+ and see mountains.

You can be "in" the mountains (parts of Jefferson, Douglas, Boulder, Larimer, and El Paso counties), you will have your two acres, but both of you would have to commute decently long distances to work and/or school, and you would have to commute during snow events as well. Alternatively, you could be in the flats/plains, most often still see mountains (the previous counties I mentioned, and also Weld, Adams, Arapahoe, and Elbert), and still have the longer commutes to contend with. Also, many of these areas don't feel particularly "rural", suburban, or exurban would be more the flavor. And again, BUDGET!?!?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:16 PM

196 posts, read 133,877 times
I travel to Houston for work and my favorite part about it is coming back to Colorado ;-)

We personally fell in love with Castle Rock when we moved from CA - you're in rolling hills with fantastic mountain views... so you feel like you're around the mountains without actually having to deal with being in them (longer commutes, winter, etc.)

You can get some acreage for less the further south away from Denver you go.. Down the I-25 corridor that would be Castle Pines, Castle Rock, Larkspur, Monument, and then around Colorado Springs (Black Forest, etc.)... you can also go east to Parker, Franktown, and Elizabeth but that puts you farther from the mountains.

What's your budget?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 64,861 times
Howdy Say004,

I recently moved to Colorado Springs from Tomball, TX which is right around the corner from you. Here's my observations so far.

Texans coming to the Springs

Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 507,758 times
2 acres is a challenge near the city. You might check Elbert, Kiowa, parts of El Paso County. I live in El Paso County (Colorado Springs) & 2 acres is doable, but often comes with no water, no utilities, etc. I also own land in Fremont Co where 35 acres is the norm, but water is where you find it & there are lots of well limitations. It's an hour to the Springs, but 2 hrs to Denver.

2 acres with city utilities is not impossible, but it took us 16 years to find & when we did, there were only 16 lots.

Also, that kind of land, near a city, you will be paying!

Oh, Douglas County, also has some possibilities, Perry Park - 1 acre lots (but a real subdivision feel) & ranches up & down Hwy 105 at the Douglas/El Paso Co line.

Mtn views & nearby hiking will be easy from almost anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or