U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 PM

825 posts, read 1,603,774 times

Advertisements

Among the places I have never visited in Colorado is Aspen. It should be about a three hour drive across to Buena Vista and up over Independence Pass.

My wife and I thought we would make a day trip over there sometime - any time really - during the last couple of weeks in June. If all we do is drive over and back we will enjoy the scenery, so it will be a good day if we do nothing else. But is there anything in particular that we ought to check out while we are there? We do not want to stay overnight, but the days are long this time of year and do not mind to start early and return late.

Non-technical hikes, history, a decent place for lunch, and scenic spots would all be of interest. We are not big on shopping, but if there are one or two must-see stores....

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,174,512 times
springtime in the rockies is all you need to justify a trip to the area ... the scenery is spectacular throughout the region.

numerous decent restaurants to choose from in town.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:35 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,614,384 times
You cannot go to Aspen without visiting the Maroon Bells. Iconic Colorado scenery! Check the shuttle bus times and location for pick up since you can't drive there after a certain date.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 429,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You cannot go to Aspen without visiting the Maroon Bells. Iconic Colorado scenery! Check the shuttle bus times and location for pick up since you can't drive there after a certain date.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:55 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,810,897 times
The John Denver gardens along the river are nice. Definitely try to go to the Maroon Bells.

btw, I don't think the above picture is of the Bells. If it is, it's from a weird angle.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I had thought about Maroon Bells, but may decide to come back to spend a day there specifically. Possibly right after Labor Day.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM

26 posts, read 49,061 times
Aschroft Ghost Town is neat. It is 11 miles south of Aspen.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM

Sorry for the delay on the report.

We went to Aspen on Thursday last, as planned. It was one of the most enjoyable days of my life.

The big event for me was the drive from Twin Lakes across Independence Pass and on to Aspen. What a spectacular drive! To me it was more scenic than Rocky Mountain National Park. We did most of it, I think. Hiked around Independence ghost town, saw the cascading snow melt waterfalls, walked up to the lookout at the pass, and watched a couple of moose.

Aspen itself was, well what can you say? You either get it or you don't. I don't. Parking was surprisingly difficult considering it was still early in the season and a weekday (we ended up parking in Buena Vista, if I remember correctly). The visitor center people were very helpful, and we left quite quickly for "******** Ghost Town" and our picnic lunch. This was a great side trip as the scenery was beautiful and the short, easy hike around the site was just wonderful. The day was quite hazy, however, and I was not up to a shuttle up to what was bound to be a fuzzy view of what is reputed to be one of the finest views in Colorado. We will come back in mid October unless the pass closes early.

It was then back to Aspen for a look around the town. Parking was again an issue, but I found a spot near Crested Butte and hiked back. It is interesting to see what can be done with Victorian houses and buildings when hundred dollar bills are be used as a building material. Seriously, the results are literally better than new and I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to see such amazing restorations. We walked somewhat aimlessly around the pedestrian areas and finally threw fiscal cautions to the wind, buying a frozen yogurt apiece. And very good it was, too.

I had wanted to see the Art Museum, but apparently last year's contemporary art was no longer contemporary enough and they were closed for restocking. Or something.

The return drive across Colorado 82 was no less interesting than the trip over. Even the moose were still in place. And so to bed.

High points: Twin Lakes, Independence and "******** Ghost Towns", wildlife, the delightful people at the visitor center, hiking along Castle Creek, dozens of waterfalls, an infinity of wonderful mountain views.

Big surprise: Moose. Signs on Co 82 stating "Road Narrows".

Biggest surprise: The road really does get narrower! For the uninitiated, this is accomplished by the simple expedient of eliminating the centerline. Vehicles meeting oncoming traffic are expected to work something out for themselves.

Low point: None, really. I do not ever have to see the actual town of Aspen again, but it is obvious from the crowds that I am in a distinct minority. And I do plan to go back to see Maroon Bells, if nothing else.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:58 PM

Does anyone - the Moderator, say - have any idea why I cannot post the name of the A S C H R O F T ghost town?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Does anyone - the Moderator, say - have any idea why I cannot post the name of the A S C H R O F T ghost town?
Probably due to one of these Urban Dictionary meanings of the word: http://tinyurl.com/y8zckke3
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or