U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 AM

97 posts, read 190,990 times

Advertisements

Looking to retire somewhere in the Front Range...not looking for people to bash each other or bash other areas...just looking for honest opinions. What is your opinion of Fort Collins or Pueblo? Love Denver but not looking for that large of a city (have lived in several large East Coast cities)...and do not think we are interested in CO Springs (LOVE the military & appreciate everything they do....just not looking for a military town as we have one here in NC...Fayetteville and would never want to live their personally). Thank you for you responses in advance...and oh...not interested in the mountains due to the weather....the Front Range is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 AM

6,910 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Budget? What kind of house? Land?

In before stealthrabbit bashes retiring in Colorado.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,086,963 times
I second SkyDog's question. Ft Collins and Pueblo are two very different areas, cities, and demographics and what you want to do in your retirement may alter the choice of which city best serves you. Ft Collins does have its own forum on here and there are a fair number of topics on Pueblo as well.

Ft Collins is further north, close in to the mountains, situated on the Cache LaPoudre River and home to Colorado State University Rams.While a semi-arid climate, there are a lot of small creeks and reservoirs in the area providing close in access to recreation water. Pueblo is the largest most southerly most city in the state. It is a bit removed from the mountains and sits on the Arkansas River and is home to the Colorado State University Thunderwolves. Pueblo is more of a high desert climate with higher over all temps.

FWIW, regarding Colorado Springs, Fort Bragg's 50k infantry population far exceeds Fort Carson's 15k battalion populations. The rest of the military in Cos is predominately Air Force and joint US/Canadian operations and Space Command, so I'd hazard a guess that the environment is quite different than that of Fayetteville.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,104,917 times
Ft Collins, Greely, Loveland ...
Originally a farming and ranching area, Northern Colorado has become a high tech and light manufacturing belt, and over the last five years, prices in the area have risen precipitously. This trend has affected Eaton, ( about 5000 ) and Wellington (about 7000 ) Fort Collins ( about 156,000 ) Loveland( about 72,000 ) Windsor ( about 21,000 ) Greeley ( about 98,000 ) Severance( about 35,000 ) Johnstown ( about 13, 0000) Berthoud. Timnath.
I have some friends that retired in Wellington just North of Ft Collins and they love it. They spent a lot less on a home than they would have in Ft. Collins.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Fort Carson has almost 30,000 uniformed personnel per this publication.

If you live near the base you'll see service members around. Some of them get a bit rambunctious at the bars downtown but that's died down a lot. I always saw a few USAF types up in the Briargate area, but overall the military presence is rather low key.

Pueblo is an old steel town and has the old industrial feel to it.
Fort Collins is a whole other creature, huge college town, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,116,724 times
Charlotte2Advance: You mention a number of aspects that you want to avoid - which is helpful - but what factors do you want and are important to you? What are, say, your Top 5 likes as far as spare time activities go, and why CO over other states? If you're coming from NC, are you familiar with the cold weather and snow, cost of living, and environment and culture here?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Berthoud, of course... "Garden Spot (and banana belt) of Colorado" and the Front Range.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bert...GBCGQQ_AUIDCgD

If you want more services... Loveland.

Run the numbers, visit / research by living or staying with locals / doing a House exchange (in winter) or house sitting for a snowbird.

Many seniors are enjoying retirement in Estes Park (+/-) (near my CO home base (Big Thompson Canyon and Masonville)). As with others, and told by a realtor friend... "I enjoy Estes Park (very windy and cold in winter + TRAFFIC in summer) a LOT more since I moved to Loveland".

Understand the challenges of Colorado. I retain business interests there and spent ~30 yrs in Northern Front range, but found a better place during my prime earning yrs and to retire. (I am in CO a few times / yr and 3x this month)

Don't forget SD only requires ONE OVERNIGHT STAY per LIFE to establish your tax free domicile. If you have VA benefits, Sturgis and Spearfish and Rapid are very attractive options. (If you actually want to live in SD (not required).)

Tax free WY is worth a look, but VERY challenging RE equity market, and high transportation costs. (often driving a LONG ways to HC, Culture, airport, shopping). I have had 4 CO friends move to Cheyenne for retirement (<1 hr from FC), but VERY different than CO. +/-

UT and ID have access to nice mtns / snow / wilderness / hunting and fishing.

SLC is a nice airport hub and many ski options much closer than Denver (ick)

Old 06-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Charlotte2Advance: You mention a number of aspects that you want to avoid - which is helpful - but what factors do you want and are important to you? What are, say, your Top 5 likes as far as spare time activities go, and why CO over other states? If you're coming from NC, are you familiar with the cold weather and snow, cost of living, and environment and culture here?
best to know the above... You may have family in CO, or interests in the arts?

For retiree destinations I prefer a SMALL college town, (culture, arts, classes, diverse economy) within 1 hr of an international airport / larger town / and <30 min to medical services (10 min preferred) low traffic (no stoplights in entire county!) FC definitely fails this criteria!

When you see Northern CO, be sure to enjoy some leisurely walks in special places such as;
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

One of my retiree friends walked 1000 times around Lake Loveland during his 30 + yrs of active retirement.

He also climbed all 52 of the 14's AFTER he retired... so... plenty to do nearby.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:05 PM

16,509 posts, read 20,925,746 times
Like everyone has mentioned here, two very different cities. I'm ok with both, but for different reasons. I live on the other side of the state but am familiar with both cities, have lived in Colorado all my life.

I would look into an extended stay motel in the Ft. Collins area, spend a week there. That way check out the whole town. Look into Loveland, which is just south of Collins. Nice town.. I left the Denver area for good in '94, there has been SO much change from Denver to Collins it's hard for me to fathom sometimes.

Pueblo has seen some growth, not like Collins though. I like what I've seen from going through Pueblo West, around 15 miles west of Pueblo. Was through there a couple years ago.

There are lots of threads in the Colorado forum discussing both cities.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 AM

3,059 posts, read 2,086,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Fort Carson has almost 30,000 uniformed personnel per this publication.

If you live near the base you'll see service members around. Some of them get a bit rambunctious at the bars downtown but that's died down a lot. I always saw a few USAF types up in the Briargate area, but overall the military presence is rather low key.

Pueblo is an old steel town and has the old industrial feel to it.
Fort Collins is a whole other creature, huge college town, etc.
I stand corrected. My point is that Fort Bragg is a massive single entity. Over 50k in personnel, 25 unique units to include a large number of Airborne and Special Forces, two airfields, covering 5 counties, over 160,000 acres next to a city of 205,000. By contrast, Fort Carson is just under 30k in personnel, 9 unique units over a variety of disciplines touching 3 counties , over 137,000 acres next to a city of 465,000. Once you factor in all the Air Force and Space Command personnel, we probably have a higher total number of military staff in the Colo Spgs area compared to Fayetteville, but we also tend to have a higher educated level of military overall with a much broader range of skill sets in technical and support roles. Like you say, while large, their presence here is rather low key.

Pueblo was the second largest city in Colorado for the first half of the 20th century. It has a very large percentage of vintage buildings and historic neighborhoods that still remain intact. The latter half of that century it only saw single digit growth that was less than a natural birth rate. This means the nwer, outlying areas are smaller and have been primarily to the west. Its primary industries are healthcare, public schools, and a small vestige of manufacturing from Evraz steel mill, Trane, and Vestas.

Fort Collins was a small farm town the first half of the last century and it really didn't begin to boom until later when it was seeing 25-75% growth per decade. The core of the town is much smaller and the rest of it tends to be more spread out and of newer construction. Primary industries are higher education, technology, and healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or