U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 17,361 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm planning on visiting Colorado this winter with our two little boys (will be 4 and 1.5 y/o). They haven't seen snow before, so showing them how to build a snowman or maybe some light snowtubing would be sufficient. Also, I only took them somewhere within 2-4 hours away and having a car has always been a nice thing not only because of car seats and such, but also because I could bring the abundance of stuff little children need without looking at airlines luggage requirements.

My questions are:
1) I might need to drive to the mountains, but I'm not sure how bad is the drive in winter, which places are kids friendly (they won't be much interested in standing in waiting lines to rent the gear, so I'm ok without doing any skiing myself)?
2) Should I fly to DEN or any airports in the mountains? Is there a huge difference in airfares?
3) How do you guys rent the cars with car seats? Can I get a taxi or uber with the car seats? Sorry for such lame questions but I haven't traveled with kids before.
4) Are the any winter kids activities in Denver so I don't have to go to the mountains?

I would really appreciate any responses.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
We traveled through Rocky Mountain National Park on July 4, 1967, and it snowed on us near the Continental Divide. You don't have to wait until winter to see snow in the higher elevations.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:01 PM

24 posts, read 17,361 times
Thank you NCN!

I'd rather not drive all the way to the Continental Divide (it's pretty far from what I can see on Google Maps) and expect to see snow there (who knows maybe that area has changed since 1967 due to global warming :-)) . Plus, I really want to have a winter vacation.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We traveled through Rocky Mountain National Park on July 4, 1967, and it snowed on us near the Continental Divide. You don't have to wait until winter to see snow in the higher elevations.
Well, yeah, and snow was forecast in the mtns a few nights ago; don't know if they got any. But for tubing, etc, the OP is going to want to go where there will reliably be enough snow to do so.

Most of the ski resorts will have snow by January. I recall Winter Park having some kind of tubing some years ago.

I-70 is usually cleared off quickly as it is the road to the resorts; there shouldn't be any big problem with driving unless you happen to be unlucky enough to encounter a storm as you're driving.

As for questions 2-3, check with the airlines. They will give you the most accurate information.

There is not snow in Denver reliably. There might be tons of it when you arrive, or none.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Fly to Aspen (if you can afford it, or have free mileage points)
Vacation in nearby Glenwood Springs (Snow + Hot Springs)

If you want great snow a LOT CLOSER to a main airport.... SLC is a better choice.(and maybe cheaper)

Denver with small kids, might best be Denver... Winter will be a stretch to keep kids entertained and you may likely have no snow (Denver is not in the mtns).

Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, yeah, and snow was forecast in the mtns a few nights ago; don't know if they got any. But for tubing, etc, the OP is going to want to go where there will reliably be enough snow to do so.

Most of the ski resorts will have snow by January. I recall Winter Park having some kind of tubing some years ago.

I-70 is usually cleared off quickly as it is the road to the resorts; there shouldn't be any big problem with driving unless you happen to be unlucky enough to encounter a storm as you're driving.

As for questions 2-3, check with the airlines. They will give you the most accurate information.

There is not snow in Denver reliably. There might be tons of it when you arrive, or none.
We lived in Denver from February through August the year I mentioned. We had planned a trip to a tourist area one Saturday morning and got up early to see it has snowed several inches. Decided we were not going anywhere that day and went back to bed. Got back up at 10 A. M. and if we had not seen it earlier, there was no clue we had a snow.

Last year we went to Lake Tahoe on October 2nd. Unpacked our bags in the condo, looked outside and it was snowing. There are many places to see snow.

Actually we have seen snow almost every time we have visited Colorado. We saw snow on a trip to Durango and Pagosa Springs in the spring. I hope they get to experience seeing the snow fall and everything turn white.

Last edited by NCN; 06-14-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 06:39 AM

85 posts, read 156,870 times
You probably aren't going to find much snow in Denver - if you want that, you'll have to go up to the mountains. There might be a little bit on the ground from a previous snowfall, but it won't be very impressive.

Definitely fly into Denver though. Mountain airports are incredibly expensive. Renting a car and driving a couple of hours is worth the money you'll save. Also, you are usually allowed to bring car seats on the plane when you travel for no extra charge, or the rental car companies rent them for about $12 a day if I remember correctly. Unless there's a big storm going on, I70 is pretty well plowed.

Summit County or Winter Park are good options if you're looking for the resort experience. Check out the Frisco Adventure Park, Keystone Resort, or Copper Mountain in Summit, or Fraser Tubing Hill in Fraser/Winter Park for tubing. Don't know what your budget is like, but the resort areas can be a little pricey. Someone else mentioned Rocky Mountain National Park - which if you don't care about snow sports or fancy resorts, would probably be a great experience for the kids (no tubing though)

If you're worried about driving conditions, and want to go to Summit County, you can take a shuttle from the airport to the mountains. Colorado Mountain Express, Fresh Tracks Transportation, and Summit Express are just a few options, usually around $100 per person round trip. Once you get up there, taxi service is terribly unreliable, but Uber is widely available. I don't know how car seats work with them though.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:10 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALNiKO View Post
Hi!

I'm planning on visiting Colorado this winter with our two little boys (will be 4 and 1.5 y/o). They haven't seen snow before, so showing them how to build a snowman or maybe some light snowtubing would be sufficient. Also, I only took them somewhere within 2-4 hours away and having a car has always been a nice thing not only because of car seats and such, but also because I could bring the abundance of stuff little children need without looking at airlines luggage requirements.

My questions are:
1) I might need to drive to the mountains, but I'm not sure how bad is the drive in winter, which places are kids friendly (they won't be much interested in standing in waiting lines to rent the gear, so I'm ok without doing any skiing myself)?
2) Should I fly to DEN or any airports in the mountains? Is there a huge difference in airfares?
3) How do you guys rent the cars with car seats? Can I get a taxi or uber with the car seats? Sorry for such lame questions but I haven't traveled with kids before.
4) Are the any winter kids activities in Denver so I don't have to go to the mountains?

I would really appreciate any responses.

Thank you in advance!
Where are you coming from and what time in winter are you considering? I ask because Frontier has just recently added a dozen non stop flights from around the nation to Colo Spgs. It might be a less hectic destination if you can fly direct. For fly in airports in the mountains, you might want to look at Steamboat, Aspen, or Durango. Also, time frame can be a concern because the lower elevations of the Front Range (Denver, Cos, etc.)tend to get more snow towards the tail end of winter and not so much at the front end whereas the mountains will get it throughout winter.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 PM

606 posts, read 578,118 times
We just got back from Colorado, but we spent it on the Western Slope. There is still snow in higher elevations where we traveled.

In Ouray, we took a jeep tour and the guide told us it would be mid-July before the snow cleared from the trails. Peak wildflower season starts in July according to him.

Still, I think almost anywhere in the mountains would be memorable.

Good luck and have lots of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or