U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 AM

85 posts, read 156,870 times

Advertisements

Making a move to South Park in a month or two, which means I can only get Internet via satellite. Anybody use Exede or Hughesnet? And what has your experience been? Also, cellphone coverage seems to be non-existent outside of the Fairplay city limits. I have Verizon - is there a carrier that works any better, or are they all about the same?

Thanks in advance - it's going to be a tough adjustment, that's for sure!

Last edited by attentionspanltd; 06-16-2017 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:51 PM

711 posts, read 686,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionspanltd View Post
Making a move to South Park in a month or two, which means I can only get Internet via satellite. Anybody use Exede or Hughesnet? And what has your experience been? Also, cellphone coverage seems to be non-existent outside of the Fairplay city limits. I have Verizon - is there a carrier that works any better, or are they all about the same?

Thanks in advance - it's going to be a tough adjustment, that's for sure!
How did this work out for you? I have a friend in the SLV and he says people use their phone data instead of satellite. He mentioned that Verizon worked best out there.

Anyone else have info or opinions on this?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:24 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
How did this work out for you? I have a friend in the SLV and he says people use their phone data instead of satellite. He mentioned that Verizon worked best out there.

Anyone else have info or opinions on this?
Can't speak specifically for the SLV or South Park, but we have two fixed wireless providers, which uses radio waves, in Custer County/Westcliffe - Hilltop Broadband and Secom. I use Hilltop and have wonderful service, both customer service wise and Internet reliability of service. The county has also recently authorized county-wide broadband service, which will also be helpful to the community here.

I expect these companies will be expanding into other areas soon.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 AM

4,797 posts, read 4,901,271 times
The problem with using a geosynchronous satellite for internet connection is both allocated bandwidth and signal latency.

Geostationary satellite latency and time delay 240ms - 279ms

I'd use that only if there is no other possible connection.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:21 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,915 times
Not available now, but SpaceX is planning to launch hundreds of small, low orbiting satellites for internet access, so latency will not be an issue.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 PM

81 posts, read 138,914 times
I live south of Pagosa Springs, and we are lucky to have a line of sight to a cell tower just over the border in Dulce, New Mexico about 7 miles away. We "rent" an unlimited data plan (truly unlimited) and that is what we use for internet. The great thing is, the tower we use generally gets low use, so we have great speeds (20-40 mbps) and have no issues with streaming or anything else. We also have a yagi antennae, so it boosts our 3 bars to 5. The latency is usually not to bad, and generally under 120ms.

Renting data plans off Ebay may sound sketchy, but we've never had any problems. We pay $120 a month (i think they've gone up in the last 2 yrs though), but its well worth it, especially since we both work from home and have to have it. Of course, we are able to write it off as well.

So.. at this point, if you can get any cell reception in a rural area, strongly consider this over satellite internet. I had that once, and it was painful in every sense imaginable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado