U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
Reputation: 4698

Advertisements

One thing for sure, the Loveland area is going to start getting pretty cold! Thanksgiving Day/night prediction: 16 low/41 high.

Another thing for sure, Loveland is much closer to the foothills/mountains than when we lived in south Englewood and Parker.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2016, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
Reputation: 4698
Well, now that California has passed their "recreational marijuana" Bill, perhaps the influx of people to Denver metro will slow. Wonder how many will decide to stay living in So California?

I know one thing, my SIL, who lives in Ontario, CA is sure unhappy that it passed. Her words, "that's all we need here".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2016, 08:10 AM
 
1,822 posts, read 1,564,158 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, now that California has passed their "recreational marijuana" Bill, perhaps the influx of people to Denver metro will slow. Wonder how many will decide to stay living in So California?
I think you're overestimating the impact of the green stuff in CO and CA. It's not as big of an issue to most in CO and you are probably thinking, and the reasons people are moving away from CA will continue regardless of this particular change. People are moving to Denver and CO from all around the country, not just CA.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
Reputation: 4698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I think you're overestimating the impact of the green stuff in CO and CA. It's not as big of an issue to most in CO and you are probably thinking, and the reasons people are moving away from CA will continue regardless of this particular change. People are moving to Denver and CO from all around the country, not just CA.
Well, there was a documentary on tv the other night talking about how big the marijuana industry is in Denver metro. The documentary actually showed a commercial plant that has a very large growing area and is selling pot heavily. This is why I mentioned it.

And, when we lived there (mid 2002 thru Oct 2007), in both south Englewood and Parker, we noticed a lot of California plates. I do mean "a lot". Unlike here, where we are currently living, I didn't see any Tenn., Kentucky, Alabama, Miss. or any of the eastern coastal states plates while living in Colorado.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2016, 10:23 AM
 
1,822 posts, read 1,564,158 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, there was a documentary on tv the other night talking about how big the marijuana industry is in Denver metro. The documentary actually showed a commercial plant that has a very large growing area and is selling pot heavily.
Well, if you take cameras into related ventures, talk to those for which this is their life, and spend 30 minutes or an hour focused on all things associated with that world, it might look huge.

Back to reality though, most of us don't live in dispensary buildings and hang out among the lazy and dopey. Most of us stay busy, keep out of trouble, and work hard to pay for the cost of living here.

If it's such a big of a fear though, you might want to move to a state that continues to heavily outlaw it. You might not ever be comfortable here. There's always a chance that you might bump into a "evil" person with green cigarette .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,198 posts, read 43,945,757 times
Reputation: 29711
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure, the Loveland area is going to start getting pretty cold! Thanksgiving Day/night prediction: 16 low/41 high.

Another thing for sure, Loveland is much closer to the foothills/mountains than when we lived in south Englewood and Parker.
Not uncommon for Thanksgiving to be cold (near mid winter). <5 days / yr 'staying IN' is a small price to pay for sun.... Of course 41f on a sunny winter day can be quite delightful. If you prefer living on the 'prairie' (Englewood and Parker) there is always Nunn, CO!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 PM
 
4,282 posts, read 2,120,302 times
Reputation: 8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not uncommon for Thanksgiving to be cold (near mid winter). <5 days / yr 'staying IN' is a small price to pay for sun.... Of course 41f on a sunny winter day can be quite delightful. If you prefer living on the 'prairie' (Englewood and Parker) there is always Nunn, CO!
Nunn is awesome! They have a great little museum.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
Reputation: 4698
Default Possible Move To Loveland Or Longmont

Wife and I are in our late 60's and been living in Jacksonville, Florida since January 2009. When we do leave here, in a year or so, we'll both be retired, but will look for part-time employment wherever we move to. Currently, my wife is still working a full-time job and I'm fully retired.

From April 2002 thru Oct 2007, lived in both Englewood (south) and had a house in Parker (Hilltop Dr). We were both raised in the "snowbelts" of Michigan/southeastern (wife) and northeastern Indiana (me). We know what living in a "snowbelt" is like, but spent numerous years living in So. California before Colorado.

Since we are into powerboating and some fishing, like we did on Chatfield and CC and have been doing here (power boating, but no fishing), we found the lakes (online) that are around Loveland and Longmont. We wonder how the crime is in both cities and the "marijuana" thing. We aren't into pot at all, but wonder if the smell can be smelled in the cities.

We have really missed the things we done on the Eastern Slope/Front Range, like rodeo action, the elk "rut" in RMNP, the zoo, Christmas lights and some other things.

Have found out that this city and Florida itself just isn't for us. We're not beach people, like we thought we'd be. Loved the beach areas of So California. Even though we live in a nicer/safer area of this city, there is still quite a bit of crime and gun violence here. Way too many people live here also.

Just wondering if Loveland or Longmont would be a good fit for us. Also, giving Cheyenne, Wyoming and Rapid City, S.D. thought.

AND, we will most likely be renting, with a little possibility of buying a condo.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM
 
29 posts, read 22,975 times
Reputation: 52
You should give Rapid City a good look!

It's a small city (100K) and it does not have the big city amenities like Denver. Jobs are tough to come by there as well. That's why I relocated to Denver along with my passion for skiing.

I own a home about 10-15 miles outside of Rapid near Mt Rushmore. No neighbors in sight by it's still a quick trip into town to get groceries or grab some drinks/dinner. The weather there may be slightly cooler than Denver but not by much. The Chinook winds keep the winters mild. My parents are retiring in my house there actually.

It offers all the outdoor activities you could want - tons of hiking, fishing, hunting and boating, Deadwood is nearby for gambling and you always have events going on in the hills. I'd definitely look for something in the hills but within 15-20 miles of Rapid. It gets you out of the wind and away from people.

(I can not comment on Loveland and Cheyenne as I have never lived there, my buddy in Laramie seems to love it though.)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
Reputation: 4698
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I are in our late 60's and been living in Jacksonville, Florida since January 2009. When we do leave here, in a year or so, we'll both be retired, but will look for part-time employment wherever we move to. Currently, my wife is still working a full-time job and I'm fully retired.

From April 2002 thru Oct 2007, lived in both Englewood (south) and had a house in Parker (Hilltop Dr). We were both raised in the "snowbelts" of Michigan/southeastern (wife) and northeastern Indiana (me). We know what living in a "snowbelt" is like, but spent numerous years living in So. California before Colorado.

Since we are into powerboating and some fishing, like we did on Chatfield and CC and have been doing here (power boating, but no fishing), we found the lakes (online) that are around Loveland and Longmont. We wonder how the crime is in both cities and the "marijuana" thing. We aren't into pot at all, but wonder if the smell can be smelled in the cities.

We have really missed the things we done on the Eastern Slope/Front Range, like rodeo action, the elk "rut" in RMNP, the zoo, Christmas lights and some other things.

Have found out that this city and Florida itself just isn't for us. We're not beach people, like we thought we'd be. Loved the beach areas of So California. Even though we live in a nicer/safer area of this city, there is still quite a bit of crime and gun violence here. Way too many people live here also.

Just wondering if Loveland or Longmont would be a good fit for us. Also, giving Cheyenne, Wyoming and Rapid City, S.D. thought.

AND, we will most likely be renting, with a little possibility of buying a condo.
Was I drinking when I done this??? I didn't even remember that I had already done a Thread asking about Loveland and Longmont. Just seen this this AM.

Anyway, I'd still like more info about the two cities, so we can make some type of decision on where we might want to move in a couple of years...........Loveland, Longmont, Cheyenne or Rapid City.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top