U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:55 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,108,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Anyway, I'd still like more info about the two cities, so we can make some type of decision on where we might want to move in a couple of years...........Loveland, Longmont, Cheyenne or Rapid City.
What specifically do you want to know about Loveland and Longmont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What specifically do you want to know about Loveland and Longmont?
Crime problems: I read online (Denver Channel 9 News app) about recent car break-ins in one of these cities. What areas would be safe for Seniors to live in.

Recreational Marijuana: Wonder if the scent can be smelled all over or? Don't like the smell.

Which is better to live in?

Still pondering with the idea of moving to one of them.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM

133 posts, read 83,094 times
Check out Gunnison or Montrose. Close to some very nice uncrowded reservoirs----Blue Mesa being the largest in Colorado. MASSIVE lake.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Quote:
Crime problems: I read online (Denver Channel 9 News app) about recent car break-ins in one of these cities. What areas would be safe for Seniors to live in.
The fact that such things make the state news when they happen speaks to the infrequency of it.
We had some idiot set fire to five or six cars the other night in Longmont. There are parts of both towns that have their less than reputable residents. Over all those areas are easily avoided.

Quote:
Recreational Marijuana: Wonder if the scent can be smelled all over or? Don't like the smell.
Nope. You don't generally smell it around town. If you moved into an apartment where management allows smoking, that could be a problem. My grandkids lived in a complex where the management didn't care, and both of their immediate neighbors were heavy smokers. It became troublesome for them.
Something to check out when apartment hunting.

Quote:
Which is better to live in?
Well, I really like Longmont. Loveland is a bit larger, and and more spread out, but less expensive for taxes - mostly because Boulder County is overall higher taxes than Larimer County.

Quote:
Still pondering with the idea of moving to one of them.
You would probably be fine with either one.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Give them each a look / get a house sitting gig or stay with locals for a couple weeks.

I have lived in Both (Love and Long) I prefer Loveland (older neighborhoods, non 'tract' areas) Near (but south) of the lake. I like the parks, walking trails, swimming pools ($0.75 recently), excellent biking and walking. Varied population and economy, pleasant community, many options in housing (Rural / view / ... (now pretty pricey...this will change))

I avoid anything East and North of Loveland. (Traffic on 34 / Eisenhower can get really bad, especially on Fridays (Prairie folks heading to the hills) , and during tourist season (Estes Park crowds)).

Loveland (70,000) is a very retirement centric, friendly, walkable city. (IIRC it is a bit smaller than Longmont,(92,000) but both have grown and annexed a lot of adjacent territory.

I have never got a whiff of MJ in either place, but I'm sure it happens.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Give them each a look / get a house sitting gig or stay with locals for a couple weeks.

I have lived in Both (Love and Long) I prefer Loveland (older neighborhoods, non 'tract' areas) Near (but south) of the lake. I like the parks, walking trails, swimming pools ($0.75 recently), excellent biking and walking. Varied population and economy, pleasant community, many options in housing (Rural / view / ... (now pretty pricey...this will change))

I avoid anything East and North of Loveland. (Traffic on 34 / Eisenhower can get really bad, especially on Fridays (Prairie folks heading to the hills) , and during tourist season (Estes Park crowds)).

Loveland (70,000) is a very retirement centric, friendly, walkable city. (IIRC it is a bit smaller than Longmont,(92,000) but both have grown and annexed a lot of adjacent territory.

I have never got a whiff of MJ in either place, but I'm sure it happens.
Thanks so much for the info. We will definitely keep Loveland in mind. Actually, your description of Loveland sound a lot like Parker was when we had a house there. They had their own parade and festival called Parker Days that we went to. Now I'm told Parker is quite heavily populated and not the "small town" atmosphere it was when we lived there.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Last I heard, Loveland still has a 'Pet and Doll Parade' the day school is out. (since 1938)

I participated a few times in the early 1960's. We had outfitted in Mtn attire (And we were dressed "swiss"), a very interesting 'rescue' dog as he looked like a St Bernard with 4" long legs!. And older couple ran out in to the street overjoyed their 'donation' to the Dog Pound had found a nice farm home. (They had to move to a care center).

We became friends for MANY yrs and they enjoyed visiting and hearing stories of the adventures of their dear pet.

He had a bad habit of dragging his 'Skunk prey' onto the front porch and the scent oil soaked into the concrete... Eternally 'remembered'.

Parker is HUGE (50k,) but very much an extension of Denver.

Loveland still enjoys individual identity. You might want to look at Berthoud, but... to recreate your previous 'Small Town' benefits... you will need to go far east in Colorado, (farm towns) or to the Western Slope. (OK if you don't need an airport nearby).

You mentioned SD, so look at Spearfish, Custer, and Sundance and Newcastle, WY while you are in the neighborhood. If you can leave Sturgis during the summer, it is a great town too. (VA hospital)

Buffalo, Sheridan, Powell WY worth a look too. (as a retiree... I like small 'rural' college towns)

Old 06-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Just looked up the 2016 population of Loveland and it said 66k. In 2005, Parker was 50k. Actually, when we lived in Parker, I drove Mon thru Fri to my job which was a couple of miles north of downtown Denver. Got up each AM at 5:15 to be at work at 7AM. Didn't bother me at all since my previous jobs mostly started at 7AM, spent some years in the Navy (West Coast) and getting up early on the farm as a teen.

We aren't looking for a really small town, but definitely smaller than here. The city itself here is 850k people and the metro are is over a million. Sounds like Loveland would have the right population for us, as would Cheyenne.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Well, have let the Rapid City moving thoughts go. They have more crime there than we really want to deal with.

So, from posts I've read, it really sounds like Loveland would be a good move for us, but still considering Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Just want an area we can be really happy with and that sure isn't here. The only thing that would stop our move would be a serious sickness or something like that. The move won't take place until May of 2019, so we can take care of some financial things and save more money for retirement.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Cheyenne is a tough sell. It sits on a high plateau, Hot in the Summer, Cold in the Winter, The wind never stops blowing, and Shade is but a dream. Cultural High point seems to be the annual Rodeo, "Cheyenne Frontier Days" Which I love to attend with family.

I wouldn't specifically discourage you, though. You might like it. But plan to spend a couple of weeks there in the mid Summer before committing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or