U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Cheyenne is a tough sell. It sits on a high plateau, Hot in the Summer, Cold in the Winter, The wind never stops blowing, and Shade is but a dream. Cultural High point seems to be the annual Rodeo, "Cheyenne Frontier Days" Which I love to attend with family.

I wouldn't specifically discourage you, though. You might like it. But plan to spend a couple of weeks there in the mid Summer before committing to it.
We've been to Cheyenne Frontier Days and without a doubt it was hot. The wind wasn't blowing much, but it was hot. At least, like in Colorado, the humidity doesn't match the temperature (90 degrees w/90% humidity). As I write this post, the temp is 86 w/humidity at 70 percent here. Definitely can feel the humidity! We know it can get cold there also.

Heck, I remember one day, after I got off of work at 3:30PM in Denver, the temperature inside our truck said minus (-)15 degrees. There was steam coming up from the manhole covers on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 11:39 AM

So everyone is in pretty much agreement that we'd be ok moving to Loveland..........correct?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Cheyenne is a tough sell. It sits on a high plateau, Hot in the Summer, Cold in the Winter, The wind never stops blowing, and Shade is but a dream. Cultural High point seems to be the annual Rodeo, "Cheyenne Frontier Days" Which I love to attend with family.

I wouldn't specifically discourage you, though. You might like it. But plan to spend a couple of weeks there in the mid Summer before committing to it.
Regarding Cheyenne, my Father in Law went to some DoD school there in the early 1950s. There was a blizzard. He was on the 2nd floor of the hotel. The snow drifts came up to the window level of his room. IMO it is no country for old men.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,109,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So everyone is in pretty much agreement that we'd be ok moving to Loveland..........correct?
This is something only you can answer. None of us know you as well as you do. And, all we have is your screen name and a few of your words and ideas(!)

Your best bet is to visit Loveland - or wherever you are considering - and look around, and spend time there with people. Get a feel for the town, and envision your life there with the actual facets of the town. Also look at where you might live, and how your budget will be. Make sure the critical factors line up.

Only you know yourself and your preferences. We all have our own preferences and ideas as well, but they could be 180 degrees different from you. I'm familiar with Loveland, but even if I knew someone extremely well that was considering the town, I still wouldn't recommend that he or she relocate there. It is too personal and subjective of a decision for others to make and vote on.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-30-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
I feel you will want more than Loveland can deliver, so try it on for yourself, and fully explore how it can serve your interests.

I don't think Cheyenne will meet your expectations either, so be sure to diligently perform your interview process.

As mentioned we are all very different in our expectations and what we are willing to live with and live without. While I really LUV Loveland and visit often, I could not return there as a home and be very content. (I was never content in Longmont, nor would I be in Parker (then or now). Each has a lot to offer, and many thousands fully enjoy these places.

Make your list, check it twice (or two hundred times). Stay for a couple months and participate in the activities you would if living there. Some places just don't fit. BTDT. AND... some places fit at a certain time in your life, and not other times...We are very fortunate to be a mobile society, especially those of us stricken with Wanderlust ...

For WY.... I much prefer Laramie to Cheyenne but your interests / desires are certainly different. Powell is my favorite, Sheridan #2 (for cities). I do MUCH prefer income tax free states, especially since I had to create my own 'pension feed stream' (In tax free states). Not into 'hassle'. SD will become my domicile as soon as I can get there for the ONE NIGHT requirement! I am impressed that my CDL (Drivers License) renewal would be $33 in SD (mail renewal) vs, $280 in my current state ('In person' WITH original Birth Certificate, ORIGINAL SS Card + Passport and signed medical cards REQUIRED for renewal) . No vehicle inspections required and low fees in SD (Tho I will use a MT LLC to register my vehicles) since I am gone most of the time.

Hint: There will not be a 'perfect spot'.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-30-2017 at 11:58 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, of the four choices you posted, Loveland, or Longmont would prove your best bet.
You really do need to come see for yourself before making that final commitment, though.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:05 AM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
I say Loveland leaps and bounds over the others.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well, of the four choices you posted, Loveland, or Longmont would prove your best bet.
You really do need to come see for yourself before making that final commitment, though.
Like a lot of folks, haven't got the money to just check the area out. Lived in both Englewood (south by Greenwood Village) and Parker for 5 1/2 years. Have never been to either city, but have to Horsetooth Lake.

It appears, between the two, we'd choose Loveland.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:25 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
So apparently, Loveboating, you will be retired when you move to Colorado. So needing a job is not a factor.

You say you don't have the money to just check the area out before deciding where to move to, but sooner or later you'll be headed out here and you'll be looking for a place to rent or buy. You'll have to stay somewhere while you are checking things out, so why not just plan to spend some time looking around then? Or are you planning to buy or rent something before you get to Colorado and just move in when you get here? I'm just wondering why you are trying to commit to a town sight unseen.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So apparently, Loveboating, you will be retired when you move to Colorado. So needing a job is not a factor.

You say you don't have the money to just check the area out before deciding where to move to, but sooner or later you'll be headed out here and you'll be looking for a place to rent or buy. You'll have to stay somewhere while you are checking things out, so why not just plan to spend some time looking around then? Or are you planning to buy or rent something before you get to Colorado and just move in when you get here? I'm just wondering why you are trying to commit to a town sight unseen.
I'm currently fully retired, but not my wife. After we move, and get somewhat settled in, both us will look for part-time jobs. Since my wife has the major degree (BA), it will be easier for her.

Since we've already lived on the Front Range/Eastern Slope and in an area that was the size of Loveland, why would we need to visit?

Also, we'd be staying at a nicer weekly motel until we rented an apartment. We done this for two weeks before moving out of Colorado in Oct. 2007. We also stayed at a "weekly" when we first got to south metro Denver (Englewood) in 2002.

Sure isn't like we've never lived in Colorado or a small city before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or