U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:02 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,106,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Since my wife has the major degree (BA), it will be easier for her.
Keep in mind that a high percentage of people in the area have BA's and higher. That's part of the problem (in my opinion) about finding jobs around here; huge competition. The bar is set very high, many continue to flood into the area, and the job growth simply isn't keeping up. On top of that, there seems to be more of a preference for younger employees that I've seen elsewhere. Maybe it's because they'll work for less, and other cultural preferences and expectations. I've found less of an ideal job location for 50's and up. But if you only want part-time work, it might not be too bad.

Places change over time. The new/current Loveland (and Fort Collins, etc.) may not resemble the towns of decades ago that many know of and remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,588,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Keep in mind that a high percentage of people in the area have BA's and higher. That's part of the problem (in my opinion) about finding jobs around here; huge competition. The bar is set very high, many continue to flood into the area, and the job growth simply isn't keeping up. On top of that, there seems to be more of a preference for younger employees that I've seen elsewhere. Maybe it's because they'll work for less, and other cultural preferences and expectations. I've found less of an ideal job location for 50's and up. But if you only want part-time work, it might not be too bad.

Places change over time. The new/current Loveland (and Fort Collins, etc.) may not resemble the towns of decades ago that many know of and remember.
First, wife would only be looking for part-time work only. At her current job, she is definitely the oldest, being her supervisor and co-workers are young enough to be her kids. I could only wish my resume looked nearly as good as hers!

This coming Oct, it will be 10 years since moving from Parker. Actually, my wife was the one who had never been to Colorado, when we moved there. Neither of us had ever been to North Carolina, but completely moved there.....sight unseen. Done the same when we moved here.

So, think we'd be better off in Longmont area?

Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,106,513 times
Quote:
First, wife would only be looking for part-time work only. At her current job, she is definitely the oldest, being her supervisor and co-workers are young enough to be her kids. I could only wish my resume looked nearly as good as hers!

This coming Oct, it will be 10 years since moving from Parker. Actually, my wife was the one who had never been to Colorado, when we moved there. Neither of us had ever been to North Carolina, but completely moved there.....sight unseen. Done the same when we moved here.

So, think we'd be better off in Longmont area?
I'd consider Longmont to be less desirable than Loveland. Among other reasons, there seems to be more young and homeless folks visible in that city.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I'd consider Longmont to be less desirable than Loveland. Among other reasons, there seems to be more young and homeless folks visible in that city.
So, Loveland is better, in certain aspects, than Longmont. It would be nice to be around more retiree's. One thing for sure, Florida isn't the Retirement Capital of the United States, like it may have been years ago. A number of "snowbirds" do live here.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,245 times
Quote:
That may be a valid point, to a degree. Longmont is a quick bus ride from Boulder, and a lot of Boulder homeless come up our way to panhandle at the traffic intersections. The bus between Longmont and Loveland is part of the Ft Collins transportation system.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Just wondering, there seems (actually, there IS) like a lot of "gun violence" in certain parts of this city (Jacksonville).

Seems as if this 4th weekend (many, including my wife, are taking Monday off), there is more "fireworks" from gun fire than actual fireworks that will take place on Tuesday night.

In 2015, we got a new Sheriff and Mayor, but the gun violence sure hasn't simmered down. Have never lived in, or near, a city with so much gun violence.

And, there's more and more people moving here!

Old 07-02-2017, 05:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,385 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Loveland is much 'mellower' than Longmont, Ft Collins, or Cheyenne (not 'sleepy, just not intense / sirens / crime / crashes). Very possible to be in Loveland and quite engaged in a very strong retirement community / volunteer events. It is just lacking in the 'elite' retirement venues that exist 20 minutes north. Daily life is quite pleasant and at a reasonable pace.

BTW: all of Colorado is at risk for increased gun violence, especially among angry teen boys. Not sure why, other than Colorado is not the panacea / freedom / answers many were envisioning. There is plenty of social work / efforts that could be applied to defuse these situations. (Often bullying / social outcasts / loners / troubled (evidenced but not responded to). ) As a society, we could improve. As a retiree, you could have a valuable contribution to such (Time to spend with kids, or time to assist agencies doing so))

BTW: when I attended HS in NoCO, we had rifles in our visible Gun Racks (old pickups) in the parking lot or across the street. Not an issue... different times, different worries, plenty of bullying and family crisis... But... we USED our guns for hunting, recreation, and stress relief. (Different times for SURE!).. (I don't think I could even count those of us who had already left home by High school age WITH our guns!)

Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Still thinking about Cheyenne, as well as Loveland. Many people talk about how expensive the Front Range is, does that include Loveland? My wife tells me that apartments in Cheyenne are cheaper.

Aren't the winters comparable, except that Cheyenne is very well noted for the wind they get.

Would Cheyenne be more "Western/cowboy" for us than Loveland? Just wondering.

Don't know if we would have our boat shipped to where we move, or sell here and possibly buy one there. If we are even still boating when we move. We will have our freshwater fishing gear with us. Actually, the same gear we bought when we lived in Parker.

Really, Bottom Line is: We will be living off of SS and savings only, along with the possibility of part-time jobs.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:13 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Still thinking about Cheyenne, as well as Loveland. Many people talk about how expensive the Front Range is, does that include Loveland? My wife tells me that apartments in Cheyenne are cheaper.

Aren't the winters comparable, except that Cheyenne is very well noted for the wind they get.

Don't know if we would have our boat shipped to where we move, or sell here and possibly buy one there. If we are even still boating when we move. We will have our freshwater fishing gear with us. Actually, the same gear we bought when we lived in Parker.

Really, Bottom Line is: We will be living off of SS and savings only, along with the possibility of part-time jobs.
I find most Wyoming cities/towns to be depressing places with not much going on, but they are definitely cheaper and more western/cowboy than most places on the Colorado Front Range.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,385 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:

Cheyenne rents may be cheaper housing than Loveland, but that price / availability is cyclical in Cheyenne and all of WY. (Energy state with boom and bust cycles affecting general economy)

No... weather is quite different in Loveland (sheltered by Mts, in the 'leeward side' of storms (even Ft Collins can be more snowy and windy and cold than Loveland. vs Cheyenne more open / prairie LOTS more wind / blizzards / cold.

Cheyenne will be much more western. (Cowboy culture where Loveland is 'Art' culture)

If you are serious about the 'economical' side of equation, consider WY (Tax Free) or SD + (Small) Towns within Commute of Cheyenne / Laramie / Casper / Buffalo / Gillette / Cody. (or Rapid / Spearfish / Sturgis). For PT jobs... that will be tough with decent rents on Front Range. (Maybe living in Eaton / Ault / Nunn and working in Ft Collins ?) Briggsdale, CO and Carr, CO probably have cheap rents and are within a reasonable distance to Ft Collins and Cheyenne. Livability would be sparse.

Both Colorado and SD have attracted a lot of retirees, running up / sustaining high property / housing values. Dinky towns w/o jobs MAY have some bargains.

Popular spots have higher rents, and Front Range of CO is quite popular. (Western slope is less popular, and probably less expensive, and much more ideal if you are into outdoor recreation). Give a serious look to Montrose and Grand Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or