U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:28 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Cheyenne rents may be cheaper housing than Loveland, but that price / availability is cyclical in Cheyenne and all of WY. (Energy state with boom and bust cycles affecting general economy)

No... weather is quite different in Loveland (sheltered by Mts, in the 'leeward side' of storms (even Ft Collins can be more snowy and windy and cold than Loveland. vs Cheyenne more open / prairie LOTS more wind / blizzards / cold.

Cheyenne will be much more western. (Cowboy culture where Loveland is 'Art' culture)

If you are serious about the 'economical' side of equation, consider WY (Tax Free) or SD + (Small) Towns within Commute of Cheyenne / Laramie / Casper / Buffalo / Gillette / Cody. (or Rapid / Spearfish / Sturgis). For PT jobs... that will be tough with decent rents on Front Range. (Maybe living in Eaton / Ault / Nunn and working in Ft Collins ?) Briggsdale, CO and Carr, CO probably have cheap rents and are within a reasonable distance to Ft Collins and Cheyenne. Livability would be sparse.

Both Colorado and SD have attracted a lot of retirees, running up / sustaining high property / housing values. Dinky towns w/o jobs MAY have some bargains.

Popular spots have higher rents, and Front Range of CO is quite popular. (Western slope is less popular, and probably less expensive, and much more ideal if you are into outdoor recreation). Give a serious look to Montrose and Grand Junction.
Well, one thing for sure, we don't wear our Wrangler jeans and Resistol hats during the hot summer months, unless, of course, we were going to Cheyenne Frontier Days. It's shorts for us! Even during the winter months, we aren't dressed Western unless going to a Country-Western nightclub.

Whereas I'm fairly sure Cheyenne could fit us, I really think Loveland could as well. At least the Larimer County Fair and Rodeo are there in August of each year. However, with the cost of living on the Front Range, and possibly Loveland, we could be forced into choosing Cheyenne. Just not completely sure yet.

The only real "outdoorsy" type things we are into at our age (be 70/71 at time of move) is boating and fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,108,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The only real "outdoorsy" type things we are into at our age (be 70/71 at time of move) is boating and fishing.
Just curious where you will do that here, as it is so dry, and skimpy as to lakes and water amenities.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just curious where you will do that here, as it is so dry, and skimpy as to lakes and water amenities.
Carter Lake and Horsetooth, just to name two. So, haven't got any idea what you are talking about here.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Quote:
Carter Lake and Horsetooth, just to name two. So, haven't got any idea what you are talking about here.
There are nearly 20 lakes near Loveland... granted they are small compared to https://ilovelakemac.com/ . Just flew over last week on our DEN approach and was really surprised at how high the lakes were. You can LIVE on several lakes and go out fishing a few times / day! My coworkers while in Loveland fished before work and kept their catch in the company fridge. At 10 AM they would head out to the 'duck blind' (across the road from our factory), Swam at the High School every lunch break ($0.75), Biked after work (Over Horsetooth and Carter Lake loop). Weekends camping up the Buckhorn listening to Elk bugle. Quick Escapes (1hour) to Wonderful Wyoming!!! over Poudre, 287, Happy Canyon, I-25, or 85... 40 min to all the great things in Estes Park (Including many nice, scenic, fishing spots) Hiking RMNP... Eating taffy, enjoying plentiful art, drinking brews...

Nowadays were spend hours enjoying walks along the Thompson river or in Statue Park / around the lake, Devil's Backbone, Nature Parks in foothills (Where our ranch used to be / now a Mtn Bike centric county park. )

Get a home away from 34, and you get a Pretty high quality of life for Front Range Colorado...(climate is really pretty mild, + EZ to escape in 4 directions 5 counting a quick flight out of DEN (LAS can be had for under $50, even did Austin, San Antonio, SFO and LA area for under $80 this yr) Can get an LAS to SAN for $40 (no rental car or Hotel required in SAN, enjoy the waterfront and old town and fly back home !)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-08-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
There are nearly 20 lakes near Loveland... granted they are small compared to https://ilovelakemac.com/ . Just flew over last week on our DEN approach and was really surprised at how high the lakes were. You can LIVE on several lakes and go out fishing a few times / day! My coworkers while in Loveland fished before work and kept their catch in the company fridge. At 10 AM they would head out to the 'duck blind' (across the road from our factory), Swam at the High School every lunch break ($0.75), Biked after work (Over Horsetooth and Carter Lake loop). Weekends camping up the Buckhorn listening to Elk bugle. Quick Escapes (1hour) to Wonderful Wyoming!!! over Poudre, 287, Happy Canyon, I-25, or 85... 40 min to all the great things in Estes Park (Including many nice, scenic, fishing spots) Hiking RMNP... Eating taffy, enjoying plentiful art, drinking brews...

Nowadays were spend hours enjoying walks along the Thompson river or in Statue Park / around the lake, Devil's Backbone, Nature Parks in foothills (Where our ranch used to be / now a Mtn Bike centric county park. )

Get a home away from 34, and you get a Pretty high quality of life for Front Range Colorado...(climate is really pretty mild, + EZ to escape in 4 directions 5 counting a quick flight out of DEN (LAS can be had for under $50, even did Austin, San Antonio, SFO and LA area for under $80 this yr) Can get an LAS to SAN for $40 (no rental car or Hotel required in SAN, enjoy the waterfront and old town and fly back home !)
Pretty much everything we'd want, except the cost of living there.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Pretty much everything we'd want, except the cost of living there.
yeah, housing is too high at the moment (other CoL items are not too bad). There will be future deals, just gonna need to DIG. (I.e. find the deals BEFORE the realtor gets the listing). For (too) HIGH real estate prices... I prefer to invest my capital elsewhere in cash flowing income props and rent in the desirable area.

2 problems in Colorado...
1) they 'condo'd Duplexes, which really messed up the investment potential (over priced for market rents)
2) Perpetually desirable (keeps prices high)

This will not last, as there will be a crash / adjustment. just when and will we live long enough to act on the opportunity. (Or maybe best to have a plan B) shared equity has always intrigued me. IN the right situation / partners / property it could be very useful. *group ownership of a property / farm / ranch / commune... senior community. Works in MN, WI, IA, but don't think CO is ready for it. (too independent). We have ONE similar property in the PNW and it has a 16 yr waiting list.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
yeah, housing is too high at the moment (other CoL items are not too bad). There will be future deals, just gonna need to DIG. (I.e. find the deals BEFORE the realtor gets the listing). For (too) HIGH real estate prices... I prefer to invest my capital elsewhere in cash flowing income props and rent in the desirable area.

2 problems in Colorado...
1) they 'condo'd Duplexes, which really messed up the investment potential (over priced for market rents)
2) Perpetually desirable (keeps prices high)

This will not last, as there will be a crash / adjustment. just when and will we live long enough to act on the opportunity. (Or maybe best to have a plan B) shared equity has always intrigued me. IN the right situation / partners / property it could be very useful. *group ownership of a property / farm / ranch / commune... senior community. Works in MN, WI, IA, but don't think CO is ready for it. (too independent). We have ONE similar property in the PNW and it has a 16 yr waiting list.
I am involved with several property ownership groups in Colorado. Not sure what you mean by "not ready for it".

Doesn't the second problem you list have the tendency to mitigate a huge market crash? It certainly did in my neighborhood when much of the rest of the country took a dump in '08.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Seriously doubt if we'd buy a house or condo. We wouldn't want to use our savings for that. We will be on a limited income w/only SS and possible part-time jobs to help us out.

Renting will end up being our home. If we can't find a descent 2-bedroom, in a descent area, Cheyenne could be our only hope. Would love a lakefront home, but cost wise.......?

Anyone got ideas/information about the nicer areas of Loveland and any apt. complexes in those areas.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
"Not ready yet, means we aren't moving for a year or two (two at most) and really aren't looking to buy.
I was replying to stealthrabbit's comment that Colorado is not ready for group property ownership.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Seriously doubt if we'd buy a house or condo. We wouldn't want to use our savings for that. We will be on a limited income w/only SS and possible part-time jobs to help us out.

Renting will end up being our home. If we can't find a descent 2-bedroom, in a descent area, Cheyenne could be our only hope. Would love a lakefront home, but cost wise.......?

Anyone got ideas/information about the nicer areas of Loveland and any apt. complexes in those areas.
Ideally you could get a 'caretaker' house at a wealthy place on a nice lake! (My ex-boss in CO did that near Estes Park for 20+ yrs of retirement (free housing for mowing and light gardening). Owner came around a couple weekends / yr at most. But, was away for over 5 yrs during one time.

Thus the 'Shared equity / Co-op ownership' theme. Some retirees (like me) spend very little time at home (gone all of 2016, and many trips so far in 2017). Multiple living space is tough to find in restrictive zoning Colorado, But I know of many camps that have live-in caretakers (very light duty). Large acreage / farms often have multiple houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or