U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 02:40 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times

Advertisements

We lived in both Englewood (apartment) and Parker (house) for a total of 5 1/2 years. Really liked the Eastern Slope and done many things while living there. Power boating on CC and power boating/fishing on Chatfield, rodeo's, the "rut" in RMNP were just a few things we loved and miss. Had to sell house and move due to "Old Man Winter" getting the better of us and my two surgeries (hip replacement and RC).

Have been living in northeastern Florida for the past 7 1/2 years, but have come to not like it here anymore. Within a year or so from now, wife and I are planning on moving back to Colorado and are giving serious thought to Longmont or Loveland. By the time we leave, both of us will be retired, but may get part-time jobs. Currently, I'm retired, but wife isn't. When we do move, we will be in our later 60's.

Have researched Boyd and Carter lakes and have read great things about both and boating on them. When we lived in Colorado, went on Horsetooth, by Ft. Collins and it was cool as well.

We'd just like to know if either one of these cities would be a good fit for us. We are really missing the rodeo scene and RMNP/Bull Elk. Also, boating there is much easier than boating here!

BTW, have also been giving Littleton some thought. Spent many weekends boating/fishing on Chatfield.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM

463 posts, read 978,765 times
Are you limiting yourself to the front range? Grand Junction is lower at 4600 ft for easier winters and you would have reasonable access to Lake Powell and the many lakes on the Grand Mesa:

Hidden Colorado Gem: Grand Mesa Lakes | Colorado.com

GL

Old 04-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Well, for one thing, we know the Front Range.....more or less anyway. Gauging by the Denver forum, the Denver area, and some of the southern areas of it, are hotspots for young kids/young adults. We don't necessarily want that. If we did decide to move toward Denver, it would be Littleton, since it's so close to Chatfield Lake/Reservoir.
We are just looking for some info about Longmont or Loveland, for a possible move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Are you limiting yourself to the front range? Grand Junction is lower at 4600 ft for easier winters and you would have reasonable access to Lake Powell and the many lakes on the Grand Mesa:

Hidden Colorado Gem: Grand Mesa Lakes | Colorado.com

GL

Old 04-15-2016, 05:00 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Any of the three would probably work for you. Littleton's average housing price is the highest, followed by Longmont then Loveland. Immediate density will vary by neighborhood but overall Littleton and Longmont are at 3,300 people per square mile while Loveland is at 2,000. If you like to walk to stuff, check out walkable / livability ratings on internet or visit. If you like neighbors a bit more spread out Loveland might be better. Littleton has the most folks over 65 years old (about 18%) followed by Loveland (14%) then Longmont (about 11%). If you might take advantage of senior programs and services, you might compare them on that. I'd probably lean toward Loveland unless you like to run into Denver a lot.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-15-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 PM

463 posts, read 978,765 times
Winters have not gotten any easier since your absence. We are supposed to get between 8 and 14 inches of snow this weekend. That's a relief since the radio was predicting up to 4 feet earlier in the week. Not sure how your new hip and rotator cuff will like that.....

Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 PM

I done some research about surgeries and arthritis and found out that high altitudes, like Longmont and Loveland, are much better on arthritis than where we are now. Not only that, since we won't be working a full-time job anymore (only part-time, if at all), won't have to go out into the winter weather nearly as much.

From doing some other research, it appears that the Front Range is the only area we'd be happy living in.
In fact, we've still got our winter parkas and snow brush/scrapper from when we lived there. Never got rid of the stuff. Gus's that meant that it was in our future plans to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Winters have not gotten any easier since your absence. We are supposed to get between 8 and 14 inches of snow this weekend. That's a relief since the radio was predicting up to 4 feet earlier in the week. Not sure how your new hip and rotator cuff will like that.....

Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Loveland is always my choice (Lived and worked in both Longmont and Loveland)
My mom lived on Carter (I think it is now private / club centric for moorage / boating / dock)

Grew up near Masonville , Horsetooth, Many friends still on Boyd, Lon Hagler and Boedecker (Which I would choose for 'retiree' 5 - 10 min access to town). It is nice to have your boat moored at your house.

Do you fish?
or 'boat'?

Nice thing about Loveland is slightly easier ability to scoot up to WY (Glendo) or over to Nebraska (Lake McConaughy), http://ilovelakemac.com. and very ez to get to Ft Collins for any addtional eats / culture / shopping / edu
It is a great retiree location. Many more rodeos in wyo.

Come check out Loveland in August Home - Sculpture in the Park

Both aare about the same distance to RMN_

Longmont is busier / larger, but closer to Boulder. (If you like Boulder)
And closer to airport (which I use several times / month as a retiree, but Denver is not a place I would ever learn to like. (Brown cloud and subdivisions that go on for many miles)

YMMV

As mentioned, Western CO may be better for you. Are you sure you don't desire wyo, or SD? Both states are income tax free,

Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Well, looks like Loveland it very well could be!
Currently we have a 20' Celebrity 200 Cuddy Cabin. Since we've put some money into the engine and other things, would like to have it there. Would have it shipped. Storage fees are much lower there than here (northeastern Florida). When we lived in Parker, we had a 16' Invader Bowrider. Used that on Chatfield, CC and Horsetooth.

We've been to the Laramie and Cheyenne rodeos, when we lived in CO.

Asked my wife about Western Colorado/Grand Junction......"no" she said. As far as living in WY or S.D., both states would get much more "winter" than northern Colorado would.......right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Loveland is always my choice (Lived and worked in both Longmont and Loveland)
My mom lived on Carter (I think it is now private / club centric for moorage / boating / dock)

Grew up near Masonville , Horsetooth, Many friends still on Boyd, Lon Hagler and Boedecker (Which I would choose for 'retiree' 5 - 10 min access to town). It is nice to have your boat moored at your house.

Do you fish?
or 'boat'?

Nice thing about Loveland is slightly easier ability to scoot up to WY (Glendo) or over to Nebraska (Lake McConaughy), Lake McConaughy. and very ez to get to Ft Collins for any addtional eats / culture / shopping / edu
It is a great retiree location. Many more rodeos in wyo.

Come check out Loveland in August Home - Sculpture in the Park

Both aare about the same distance to RMN_

Longmont is busier / larger, but closer to Boulder. (If you like Boulder)
And closer to airport (which I use several times / month as a retiree, but Denver is not a place I would ever learn to like. (Brown cloud and subdivisions that go on for many miles)

YMMV

As mentioned, Western CO may be better for you. Are you sure you don't desire wyo, or SD? Both states are income tax free,

Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Rapid City average monthly highs tend to about 4 degrees cooler than Loveland in most months. A few months it is less, in January it is 7 degrees cooler. Is that noticeable or a big deal? Will vary by person. Average lows generally close to the same. Loveland 9 days on average below zero per year. Rapid City 17.

Black Hills have some nice lakes.

Wyoming is 5-10 degrees cooler in most spots. Snowfall will mostly be more than Loveland and stick around longer but Cody is similar for snowfall in town and Guernsey (near Glendo Reservoir) usually is similar or less.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-18-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 01:27 PM

We just want a lot less population than is here, which is 821,724. Want to be able to see Bull Elk. Want a good lake for fishing. Good lake for cruising on, dropping an anchor in a No Wake area and kicking back or "beaching" the boat and relaxing on the beach. We did all of this at Chatfield and really enjoyed it. Caught some great looking Rainbow Trout and even a rather large Brown Trout. Almost literally have no rodeo action here, but there........love it!

Sort of funny, but when I be on the Denver forum and reply to a Thread asking about Denver, I would mention the Denver Stock Show & Rodeo, Douglas Country Fair Rodeo, Greeley Stampede and the "rut" in RMNP and most of the young folks on that forum didn't have a clue at what I was talking about. I was even told, "they should take that **** Denver thing out to Limon!" One person did reply "ain't gonna happen and I'm glad". But, most of the young folks on there didn't care at all about boating, fishing, rodeo or the "rut". Guess, since pot became legal, throngs of young folks have/want to move to Denver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or