U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM

55 posts, read 197,459 times

Advertisements

Idahomama,

Anxious to see what you think about Steamboat Springs and Durango. We are thinking we'd like to locate as close as possible to Durango while staying with the Bayfield schools which we've heard are very good and have very small class sizes...have you looked at Bayfield schools? I know you thought it was too suburban for you but might be a nice compromise.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM

171 posts, read 960,215 times
Actaully when you look at some of the Durango Schools( I have been focusing on RiverView Elementary), test scores are actually quite a bit higher than those in Bayfield. Student to teacher ratio is also lower at Riverview than at Bayfield Elementary. That said, I think the standardized testing is quite a crock of crap. Teachers have pressure to have their students place highly on these tests and curriculum in many instances is being taught to the test. I am not saying all teachers do this, but it is happening more and more. That is my beef with the public school system. That and the fact that arts, music, and in some cases P.E. are a thing of the past. The world is a-changing, and I don't think there is anything better I can do for my children than provide them with the best well rounded education as possible. Certainly it is my responsibilty to provide for my child and their education of life as well, but I am seeing less and less public schools that can do that for me anymore. I want what we are teaching at home to be reinforced in their education at school and vice versa. ok, I will stop my rant. This is certainly not meant to be derogatory for those with kids in public school systems.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Idahomama,

Yes, I've noticed that Riverview does very well. Our kids were in an independent private school that was very nuturing, had all the extra classes, etc., etc. Yes, they did some things very well. It was also mostly populated (despite the school's aggressive financial aid program) by mostly very affluent people. Some, of course, very nice and well grounded, but many with what I felt was an attitude of "excess". Let's pick the kids up in a limo and take them to SF for an 8 year old's birthday party, and such. Let's throw a "bash" for 8th grade graduation...it's not enough just to have a ceremony. Lots of suburbans for families of four (you don't need 4 wheel drive here!), etc. I worried about my children growing up with only the "haves" in life. Despite making a decent income, we felt poor by comparison, yet found ourselves "drawn into" the attitudes every now and then. We got priced out of the school as tuition moved forward and are oh so happy we did! We moved our kids into a public school. We live in a relatively affluent community where the parents pour lots of time and $ into the schools so we are able to maintain art, music, science lab, computer lab, etc. There is a lot more diversity in the school in terms of ethnicity and socio economic status...I think that's a good thing and a more realistic view of the world. Most of the teachers are very good, but some are a bit more difficult...just as in life we have to deal with difficult people. I guess my "rant" is yes, you want a well rounded school, but maybe more importantly, you want a well rounded community that values education and is willing to put forth time, energy, and money to make it happen. I think it's important that the kids get more of a "real life" experience. I think I mentioned that in Steamboat, our friends really wanted a Montossori program for their kids. It was quite a fight, but they managed to get it. I'm sure the same can happen in Durango or Bayfield, but maybe enough people are satisfied with the school system that they don't see a need for a change...just an idea. Sounds like we are on the same page on a lot of things. I'll anxiously await your news on both places (sounds like you are putting more research time into the educational area than I am right now, so I'll continue to learn from you!) Okay, long enough post...I think I've avoided the laundry for a long enough time now..must get back to the daily grind!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM

171 posts, read 960,215 times
I can certainly appreciate what you are saying. I think you said that you were from the SF area, and we are coming from the opinion of Boise, ID. Probably quite a different mentality! There are certainly no limos picking children up for any function where we are at. Idaho does rank very very low on dollars spent per student and I do think that is evident in the public schools where we are at. Our private school has a 30% population that receives free or reduced rate, and it is an international school with children attending from I think 13 counties around the world. We love the school, it is unfortunately we can't love Boise half as much

My concern for Durango is that they have one of 10 charter schools in the state of Colorado to close down and now they have a second charter school that is being reincorporated back into the school system. Is there money there to support alternative kinds of education or is the money all in retirees that don't care a thing about what is going on in the schools. I will provide some input for Steamboat in the short time my husband has been there.

Last edited by idahomama; 12-07-2006 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: typos!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Idahomama..Interesting question about Durango school spending. In general, CO doesn't rate high on $ spent on education. Of course, the same can be said of CA and yet we have some fabulous schools and some not so. This is so hard....

Must be hard to leave your school...sounds fabulous. Will be hard to find the equivalent in anything other than a metropolitan area, I would think. I saw your post about your husbands trip. Makes Steamboat tempting, but I'm not sure we can do that much snow. Our friends who live there are coming to my husbands company party on Sat., so we will try to grill them a bit about Steamboat. Can't wait for you all to go to Durango and see what you think...we are planning most likely 1st of Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado