U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by McGowdog

I'm of the opinion, that's right, opinion, that there are plenty of residential and commercial and industrial structures already up just waiting to be refurbished and dusted off.

I prefer purchasing a pre-existing home because you get alot more bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
We got treated like crap, were replaced with low wage Mexicans, and now you want us back? Too bad I won't even look at a job for less than 40 an hour. You convinced younger generations we were animals and college loans were the only way to escape being a low life tradesman. My how the tables have turned. I will never retire as I love Carpentry but I will never work for anyone who does not respect me. I am past retirement age and am allowed to be grumpy.
They're crying the blues now that so many flooded homes need work but the labor isn't there to do the work. Here's a story in today's WaPo on the issue. The shortage of trade labor hurts hurricane damaged areas the worst, but nationwide there are shortages of skilled workers for the building trades.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Found some interesting stuff in the L.A. Times today about the construction trades in that area. The union carpenter in the story makes $40/hour with good benefits, the non-union immigrant sheet metal worker gets $27.50/hour with few bennies. The article is here.

Excerpt: In the span of a few decades, Los Angeles area construction went from an industry that was two-thirds white, and largely unionized, to one that is overwhelmingly Latino, mostly nonunion and heavily reliant on immigrants, according to a Los Angeles Times review of federal data. At the same time, the job got less lucrative. American construction workers today make $5 an hour less than they did in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation.

I've tried to stay up to date on all this stuff for decades and am well aware that a lot of corporate interests want the immigrants here to keep wages low and to bust unions, a tactic that is working all too well in many areas such as meat packing, construction, and service trades.
I've always thought if they want to stop illegal immigration, they simply need to crack down on the management that hires the labor. But as you say, the corporate interests prevent that. They will pick off people who are here illegally through draconian measures and demonize them rather than targeting the greedy bastards that refuse to pay reasonable wages. Make an example of a few of those guys with actual prison sentences - hell, subject them to the same conditions that illegal immigrants are subjected to in custody - and the illegal immigration issue will solve itself in a very cost-effective way.

But they won't do that.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've always thought if they want to stop illegal immigration, they simply need to crack down on the management that hires the labor. But as you say, the corporate interests prevent that. They will pick off people who are here illegally through draconian measures and demonize them rather than targeting the greedy bastards that refuse to pay reasonable wages. Make an example of a few of those guys with actual prison sentences - hell, subject them to the same conditions that illegal immigrants are subjected to in custody - and the illegal immigration issue will solve itself in a very cost-effective way.

But they won't do that.
Though Sheriff Joe is gone now, I'd put those greedy business operators in the same tent city jail Joe used for Phoenix criminals and illegals, to include them wearing the pink underwear too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,813,073 times
I spent 20+ years owning and operating a construction company, and the best way to lower the number of illegal immigrants is when they need services. They still need a driver's license, medical care, and schools. I saw this happen after 9-11, and it worked. It has gotten soft again because our economy needs those workers. So, we also need to drastically increase the number of green cards for workers in specific jobs like agriculture, construction, etc. When the economy slows we need to stop issuing green cards.

I have some great friends who were here in Colorado from New Zealand, and they stayed 7 years but when their visa expired they had to go home. It was sad, but they knew the deal when they came here. It can be the same for someone who comes here to work with their hands.

It's not complicated, but there is zero political will to get it done.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,899,143 times
Yup. I've never seen a roofing crew that was not illegals. I think the authorities must be paid to look the other way.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,108,098 times
I don't know the whole history leading up to this point, but the "construction workers" I've seen in CO - both buildings and road maintenance - work incredibly slow compared to the state I used to live in. I've also seen a lot of standing around and loitering in place of real work.

We need people who will actually work, not pussyfoot around. Having to hire more people to take up the slack just adds up costs (unnecessarily), and works against progress. Maybe they need cameras out their to monitor the people and see them slacking off, and then round up some real workers.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-11-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 07:15 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,447,346 times
No you don't know the history or anything else you just make up BS and post it on the internet like you know what you are talking about.We bid our work against other contractors and would go broke standing around not working.Gov't workers excluded. Anyway having a great year and glad to be appreciated again.wish you were me.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 919,506 times
And its amazing so many able bodied males are standing on corners of intersections....often with their families. Makes me sick

Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 919,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Yup. I've never seen a roofing crew that was not illegals. I think the authorities must be paid to look the other way.
You do know you can have actual legal migrant workers in the US right?

My brother uses them for his landscaping business back east....best workers he's ever had. Great people too. Its a shame that nobody here actually wants to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or