U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM

505 posts, read 1,955,633 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, after reading a few complaints about the Front Range... Is it anything like the Oregon I-5 corridor, in respects to population density and the whole "us vs them" mentality, rural vs urban, etc...?

From what I can tell, Denver and Portland are simlar in size. Is this true?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

676 posts, read 2,543,128 times
I'm not familiar with the I-5 corridor in oregon, but the front range from an urban perspective is where the majority of the population of colorado resides in the largest cities. Basically it stretches from the colorado/ wyoming border all the way south to pueblo. Not sure on the distance there but it is almost the entire length of the state with a population of about 4 million people. It is called the front range urban corridor if you want to do further research.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM

386 posts, read 1,537,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Just wondering, after reading a few complaints about the Front Range... Is it anything like the Oregon I-5 corridor, in respects to population density and the whole "us vs them" mentality, rural vs urban, etc...?

From what I can tell, Denver and Portland are simlar in size. Is this true?

TIA
Denver is a little bigger.

I lived along I-5 for a year and grew up on the Front Range. They are similar in that a single N/S highway links a number of cities and forms the core spine of population in both states. But....Oregon and Colorado are very different places. The similarity might end there.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,040,734 times
Wink Sometimes a lovely drive

Not sure about the sociology involved, but although both I-25 in Colorado and I-5, California through Oregon and Washington, are major arteries, the driving experience different.

Traffic between Ft. Collins in the north and Pueblo to the south can be moderate to heavy, depending. During peak times I'd avoid central Denver and Colorado Springs, and a good portion of the highway between the two. Easier driving once south of Colorado Springs, and basically clear and open from Pueblo to the New Mexico border.

I-5 through Oregon seems generally more open, less so than the far southern reaches of I-25, but with fairly moderate traffic for most of its length. Portland seems to be the one big exception, and I've never driven through it without experiencing heavy to very heavy traffic.

Generally I'd say I-25 is more of a rural interstate than I-5, I-5 being the major artery for the Pacific coast. But not to say that in certain places and times I-25 will not bare a striking resemblance to downtown Portland. If not as much rain.

And neither matches metro Seattle.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Default west coast dude

Just wondering, how are they similar and how are they different (Oregon and Coloraado)? I've been to Colorado a few times, and lived in Oregon for 15+ years. TIA

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

2,591 posts, read 6,003,298 times
Quote:
Just wondering, how are they similar and how are they different (Oregon and Coloraado)? I've been to Colorado a few times, and lived in Oregon for 15+ years. TIA
Two threads to get you started:
Will I miss the forests? I loved Portland.
Denver vs. Portland, OR

Old 03-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Oregon is greener, wetter, more casual, much more liberal, the mountains are way different (more lush, forested, smaller), you've got a river valley forming the backbone of the state instead of an endless line of cities, and people are friendlier.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM

Default thanks

Thanks a lot. I lived in Southern Oregon, which was MUCH more conservative and arid than in Portland. It was also more rural. I love the PNW, but miss the mountains more than anything. This flat terrain here in Michigan is hard to take, although the lakes are a nice consulation. I miss the healthy life style of the West too. I can't take my kids to any local restaurants because they're all full of smoke, and fresh produce here is much more limited. There is practically no natural or organic food choices, and good coffee and microbrew is next to imposible to find. The schools are SO much better though, even in rural areas, and IMO this place is the most family-friendly place I've ever lived in. That being said though, since I'm not born and raised here, I feel like and am often treated like an outsider. With the horrible economy I must also admit that growth isn't a bad thing. I have to eat my words, since I was complaining about it in Oregon. Here half the town's buisinesses have gone out of buisiness since we moved, and all but one are still empty store fronts. You see that all over. Growth is a double edged sword, but I've come to see it as a good thing after experiencing both situations.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a better idea of what the Front Range is like.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM

I moved from the west to the midwest and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. The family friendly aspect you mentioned is so important for me. You've got natural beauty and healthy living in west--and I love that too. But...man...the midwest has its priorities straight and I'm not sure that's going to be easy to leave.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I moved from the west to the midwest and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. The family friendly aspect you mentioned is so important for me. You've got natural beauty and healthy living in west--and I love that too. But...man...the midwest has its priorities straight and I'm not sure that's going to be easy to leave.
You've got a good point... since I've done half my life in WA / PDX area, and 1/2 on Front Range (Loveland / Ft Collins / Masonville) I note a huge social difference. I consider the PNW quite 'distant' in true relationships. Friendly enough, (for the most part) but not really into hospitality / caring relationships. (your mileage may vary)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado