U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM

389 posts, read 274,822 times

Advertisements

Colorado is a great place to live but it is good to head advice from those that live here in regards to rents etc. If you delve a little deeper on padmapper you will find that most of those around or a little below $750 are for 1 room in a house or apartment. Not sure if that would be a suitable option. If you are lucky you may find a one bedroom but it is likely to be in a not so great area.

Like others have mentioned Colorado Springs may be a good choice however rents are even going up there significantly. When we moved here 5 years ago our rent for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment in a decent area was just under $1000 now that same apartment goes for $1650. Keep that in mind that rents continue to increase year over year.

I would find jobs first this will give you income and give you an idea of where you will need to live and what that will cost you.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM

657 posts, read 805,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingtherockies View Post
Hi! My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Colorado, I've been there 2 times on vacation and absolutely love it. Not too familiar with the areas and would like to get some advice on cost of living or what where would be the best place to settle given my work experience. We both have warehouse experience, so nothing too professional until I start college. Right now in Kentucky were making 60 k a year. Looking for a nice apartment in a good area for about 750 dollars a month max, got about 5k in the savings. Having trouble deciding whether that's enough. As far as amenities go, anywhere that's close to a wide variety of jobs and plenty of hiking trails.
The bolded part is kind of important...so what is your plan? Move to Colorado, scrape by on a dual income of $60k, and then start college? What happens to the income? If $60k is "scraping by," what will $30k be?

You won't want to hear this, but you should stay put in Kentucky and attend college there.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM

304 posts, read 255,089 times
Colorado also has one of the higher in-state tuition rates due to funding cuts. You would need to factor that in as well, if you are thinking of attending college here. I'm not telling you not to come, I have children looking to go elsewhere for college so we are doing our research as well, but you really need to figure out if it's a practical move for you.

Use the cost of living calculators, they aren't perfect, but they will give you an idea of the difference. Housing costs are increasing a lot faster than salaries, so if you are on a tight budget, or think you might burn through your savings quickly, you won't make enough, even trying to scrape by. If you are both able to land jobs that come with raises, and find reasonable living close by, you might be able to make it work. Keep in mind, that you will have additional costs for college when you start that.

This part of the country will humble you very quickly, breaking down in traffic (overheating in 100 degree weather), getting stuck (or an accident in a blizzard), are all things you need to take into consideration. There is really no part of the state that is immune from rough weather. It will drain your finances.

Please, do some really extensive research. Let us know what you decide.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,185,054 times
Congratulations on considering a move out of Kentucky.

As a Kentucky native, I've lived in Madisonville (poorly run town, po-dunk, anemic job market), Frankfort (I liked it overall but it's full of small town cliquishness), Louisville (one of the most unfriendly cities I've been to in the U.S.), and Northern Kentucky (not that much better than Louisville). If I were to ever move back, I'd consider the area around Frankfort and Lexington first, as I generally like it better than the rest of the state; while all those UK fans can be so obnoxious, seeing a blanket of green, with horses and cows, only 4-5 miles from downtown Lexington or downtown Frankfort can be so gratifying.

At any rate, Colorado will only be a step up for you. Colorado's supposedly "worst" city as I understand it, Pueblo, will still be a class higher than Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Somerset, Ashland, etc. (these towns, albeit smaller than Pueblo, are still considered regional centers of sorts in Kentucky, as you know).

While the Colorado Front Range (along I-25 as I understand it) is where all the jobs seem to be, it's also the most expensive area of Colorado. Expect your total cost of living in Denver or Boulder, primarily due to rent, to increase 25-30% over what you're probably paying now in Kentucky. In the rest of the Front Range, e.g., Pueblo, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, 10-25%. However, your jobs in Colorado will only pay 25-30% more if you're right around Denver. Otherwise, if you're around Boulder (not enough housing supply for the demand), Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, etc., expect to be paid comparably or close to what you're being paid in Kentucky.

I live in California now but have considered Colorado for relocation (although I would tell Coloradans that I'm from Kentucky, as some aren't particularly fond of California, but that's a whole 'nother story ).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM

946 posts, read 509,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
The bolded part is kind of important...so what is your plan? Move to Colorado, scrape by on a dual income of $60k, and then start college? What happens to the income? If $60k is "scraping by," what will $30k be?

You won't want to hear this, but you should stay put in Kentucky and attend college there.
The obvious solution would be to live on campus somewhere in CO using loans and grants and invest a career that makes those loans worth while after...

But that doesn't sound like what OP wants.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,944,785 times
Apply for jobs in Colorado Springs and Denver area. If you get 2, find affordable housing nearby. If you get one, there is risk but it will probably work out if you a good worker and aren't picky about where you start. If you can't get the jobs right away, maybe wait til spring and try to increase your savings by 50-100% as a reserve. It can go quickly.

Colorado Springs might appeal more if you aren't a big city lover. Lots of trails nearby in either but might be easier to get to from CS.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,056,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
At any rate, Colorado will only be a step up for you. Colorado's supposedly "worst" city as I understand it, Pueblo, will still be a class higher than Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Somerset, Ashland, etc. (these towns, albeit smaller than Pueblo, are still considered regional centers of sorts in Kentucky, as you know).
I'd say this is a very important aspect of a move here. We all reply based on our personal experiences and backgrounds and expectation and cannot know exactly what the OP will or will not tolerate nor expect for living conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or