Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,554 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Colorado, I've been there 2 times on vacation and absolutely love it. Not too familiar with the areas and would like to get some advice on cost of living or what where would be the best place to settle given my work experience. We both have warehouse experience, so nothing too professional until I start college. Right now in Kentucky were making 60 k a year. Looking for a nice apartment in a good area for about 750 dollars a month max, got about 5k in the savings. Having trouble deciding whether that's enough. As far as amenities go, anywhere that's close to a wide variety of jobs and plenty of hiking trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
750$/mo has me ROTFLMAO.
Try twice that.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
If you are serious about moving here you ought to first find jobs.

As for rents, they are higher in Denver and its suburbs than they are in Colorado Springs or Pueblo. I suggest that you read through all of the posts to absorb information. Your suggested budget is on the low side but perhaps doable in some parts of Colorado Springs or Pueblo.

The Colorado Springs area has about 11K jobs available now so perhaps it won't be so hard to find one. Start by looking here: https://www.ppwfc.org/

Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
$60k each working warehouse jobs in Colo isn't going to happen unless you move into supervision or management or planning. $30k each may be more possible. Manufacturing jobs in the state are somewhat flat. There are some distribution warehouses in Denver, Colo Spgs, and Pueblo, but competition for those jobs is considerable despite our low unemployment numbers. Obviously Denver has the lion's share of employment opportunities, but also comes with the greatest costs and population.

COL overall in most parts of the state is inline with to slightly higher than Kentucky. However, rentals, particularly in Denver metro, is much, much higher. Double what you are projecting. Colo Spgs rentals are quickly catching up to Denver and may only be 10% or less, lower. Pueblo rents are lower still but work opportunities are not as abundant. To actually buy a house, Colo Spgs and still considerably less than Denver metro and Pueblo is cheaper still.

Vacationing here is a lot different than living here. You may get to look at the mountains everyday, but actually getting in them in after work or on weekends is the same goal a high percentage of the population has in mind as well, so traffic into and out of the mountains is extensive. The arid climate, which cannot compare to anyplace near your current home state, will dry out your skin, hair, and sinuses. Nosebleeds are common and it can take several weeks to several years to acclimate to the lack of oxygen. Weather is quite variable and can change radically week to week. Its possible to have string of sub zero days in November, no snow at all for Christams, a week of 70* days in February, and a major snowstorm in May.

Its also a very large state with considerable variety in different cities along the Front Range and Western Slope. Lower elevation with multiple small rivers and farm country can be found near Ft Collins to near desert climates with multiple 100*+ days in Pueblo. Grand Junction on the Western Slope will have typically mild climates with warmer days and minimal snow, but easy access to Utah canyonlands. Nearly anywhere will have access to parks,trails, or nature right outside your door or within a short drive. However, it is a days drive to get to any other major city outside of Colo so we do not have readily available access to other major metros like you have in Kentucky with Nashville, Indianapolis, or Memphis.

Last edited by TCHP; 07-06-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 AM

I've researched on padmapper for apartments and have found several nice ones with a 750 dollar rent. Not entirely sure why everyone thinks all rent in Colorado is over 1k.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,397 times
You are going to need to be in the denver metro for work. This means you should expect $1000/mo minimum for rent.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:20 AM

30 k a year each is what I meant. 60 k together. I find it hard to believe that there aren't people living in Colorado that aren't working warehouse jobs and are still making things work. I appreciate the advice. As far as weather, I am not too much concerned about it. The 2 times I've been there, ive experienced all sorts of weather conditions. My body will adjust to the altititude I'm sure.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingtherockies View Post
I've researched on padmapper for apartments and have found several nice ones with a 750 dollar rent. Not entirely sure why everyone thinks all rent in Colorado is over 1k.
If you can find it, great. But be careful. That kind of rent is unheard of and something might be up. People make it work on your salary for sure, I have. But they also spend a bigger chunk on COL than you are used to.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,406 times
If by warehouse work you mean Costco or Sams, we have both in Colorado Springs, and rents here are cheaper than Denver, though not by a lot. You could probably find a one bedroom for 750 but its not going to be a high end place. If you are coming without jobs, I would say save up as much as you can as you may be living off your savings for a bit.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingtherockies View Post

Okay, slight clarification then. Nice rentals that are <30 years old, in safer neighborhoods, with available amenities such as clubhouse, covered parking, pools, weight rooms, etc that most are looking for are going to be $1000+. Older apartments that may come with some maintenance issues or without pools or a/c, located near or in higher crime areas, further from city centers and further from activities, will tend to be the lower priced units. Also, when looking in the Denver metro, location to employment is a big deal. Traffic and weather can mean that $750 unit could be an hour away from work in good weather and up to 3 hours on a snow day, despite only being 25 miles away. This is a predominate reason many here say find the job first, then find the living space.

Many people here make it work because they bought into the place before prices sky rocketed. In Cos, for example, a couple making $60k combined who bought a $150k house 10 years ago can still make it work now despite the run up in prices. They locked things in earlier. But now that same house rents for $1000 and sells for $280k.

That doesn't mean its impossible, just harder to achieve and may mean you have to live further out from the most desirable areas with the highest concentration of jobs. Also some may find they have to work an extra part time job to achieve their goals but then find that extra work is impeding upon the very reasons they moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado