U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:56 AM

16 posts, read 13,293 times

Advertisements

I'm a 50-something, semi-retired person looking for a tax-friendly, outdoorsy place to settle. I may work part-time or via internet to continue to stash cash into an IRA, but otherwise, I'm not concerned about a high-paying job.

My budget can be flexible, but generally I'd like to spend no more than about $50K per year max, including taxes and health insurance. I'm not a shopper, but I am a hiker/outdoors-person, and I'd like to find a like-minded community. I prefer living as close to nature as possible, but I also like to be able to walk to the grocery store, so I realize I may have to make trade-offs...

I hike, cross-country ski and nature-watch, but it'd also be nice to be able to take classes (writing, history, etc.) so a nearby college would also be nice to have as an option. I'd rent first and would consider buying a place later.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:59 AM

5,321 posts, read 7,167,471 times
I think much of Colorado could fit this bill - for the college bit stick to larger metropolitan areas or college towns for the most part. If community college or online would fit the bill your options are practically unlimited in that regard. Your budget might be a little more stretched in the Denver area. Perhaps the Colorado Springs area, or Woodland Park. Nothing out here is particularly walkable but if you rent somewhere you can hone in on a particular neighborhood that would allow that walk to the grocery store. Have you been out here to visit? Do you know much about Colorado weather, terrain, etc.? Some people's vision of living near 'nature' may be more green and have more water than here to be truly happy depending on where they're from.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM

128 posts, read 163,692 times
Your budget will give you a lot of flexibility. If you're wanting to be truly close to the mountains and don't need to be near a larger metropolitan area (more people to share the outdoors with), you might consider any smaller town that has a CMC (Colorado Mountain College) campus nearby. All of these campuses are located in towns in very scenic areas with excellent hiking and skiiing access, save for Rifle and Buena Vista, as they're a bit further out from major ski areas. Much of them are walkable, as well.

Normally people are steered clear of high-rent areas on this forum due to budgetary constraints and a lack of a realistic long-term plan, but you're in a much better financial position. I'm more familiar with Buena Vista and Leadville than any of the other towns listed above. If you've got questions about either of those, feel free to PM me.

Also, I forgot to mention that Gunnison would be a good option as well, as Western State University is located there.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM

13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exp01020 View Post
including ... health insurance
Varies widely across the state.
Rural areas are much more expensive. Many rural areas have only 1 provider. It is a mess.
For example: cheapest plan in Montrose is $6900/yr and in Denver it is $4000.
Use Quick Cost and Plan Finder to get an idea of costs.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Insurance is currently a mess in Eagle, Summit and Pitkin counties, I believe we are the highest cost in the country. It's a beautiful place to live but if you're paying out of your own pocket it's not a good situation.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks, all.

@Otowi - Not interested in Denver... I am familiar with high desert. I have been to CO many times, but not looking to stay, so my perspective will be different now.

@interloper1138 - Thanks for the specific places to take a look at... I'll do that.

@davebarnes & dogmama50 - Wow - will look hard at health insurance options too - and will keep up with where things are headed

I'm looking at the Pacific NW too - probably more on the east side and away from pricey areas.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,893,732 times
OP: If you are a fifty something and you need to buy an individual health insurance policy every year until you reach Medicare age at 65, you're screwed.

There is no way to know how much you will pay.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
OP: If you are a fifty something and you need to buy an individual health insurance policy every year until you reach Medicare age at 65, you're screwed.

There is no way to know how much you will pay.
True, and it's not only CO. We are older but not old enough for Medicare. We paid an absurd amount in WA state after my husband retired.

Be glad that CO has state income tax. Without that, they go for old folks' jugular: tax the hll out of property that they thought a lifetime of working would have allowed them to enjoy without constantly being financially assaulted.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the warnings about health insurance... right now I'm working a temp job and have insurance. I will consider continuing to work until health insurance issues settle down.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exp01020 View Post
Thanks for the warnings about health insurance... right now I'm working a temp job and have insurance. I will consider continuing to work until health insurance issues settle down.

Don't wait 'Retirement/move' for USA to settle the HC issue, that will take a 're-build' and no-one has the time / guts / health to sustain that. Next plan WILL BE FAR worse than the last (which was a catastrophe for all but the subsidized (Non-sustainable) A(?)CA cut 4 'affordable options' we had (pre age 50 retirement). So... we are without HC while in USA (tho use a HC cost Sharing network. = $150/ month per person)

The PNW (WA and AK) are income tax free and lots of recreation (ocean / sound / mtns / lakes) We have still been able to find bargain rural props in SW WA for under $100k. In Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area and 20 min to PDX for quick and CHEAP flights to sun. (One hour flight, or a 40 min drive will find you some sun / or at least DRY). 20+ colleges within 30 min and highest per capital food trucks / brew pubs!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Colu...Y4AosQ_AUICygC

CO is fabulous for Cycling (Wide shoulders, lots of bikes, lots of rights) but... CO has serious other issues, and is a popular (High growth issues) and a 'battleground' state, so you must live in political turmoil / outside interest funding the quick demise of what generations built (by spent blood). We fled / forced out of CO family ranch at the end of 1970's. (6 neighbors faced the same issues , ALL left CO)

AK would be my choice IF you could afford to risk HC and stay in USA. We will be leaving USA until we are medicare eligible, BUT,,, even that is becoming too expensive. Common to find $500/month Medicare + supplement / person. That will quickly become $12k / yr for high deductible / co-pay policy. (Not sustainable).

Low tax destinations and US centric are US Protectorates. My Internet income friends move (domicile) to Caribbean.

For Lower 48. the RVrs use income tax free SD as domicile (One overnight stay per lifetime), and form a MT LLC to own and register vehicles (Sales tax free). Follow the RULES of each... i.e. do NOT get a 1099 or W2 from a taxable state, and don't stay too many days in one spot (< 182+ / yr) in a 'taxable' domicile. Rules vary, so follow the rules! (Some states consider you a 'resident' if you own property there! (That is crazy, as I keep properties in several states... CHEAP rural view rentals, with FREE cabin / shop with apartment for me to use when I happen to be in the region. They are near airports, so I keep a CHEAP car and MC at each. <$100. Hopefully I can add a few international destinations the same way. It is fairly common to have 'Caretaker' / carriage houses in many foreign rural pros.

Resources for HC
A comparison of the Major HealthCare Sharing Ministries - MedicalCostShare.com
https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-08-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado