U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM

5,313 posts, read 7,145,103 times

Advertisements

He at least did this bit right today - and he has finally scheduled some town halls this week as well. Republican Cory Gardner reprimands Trump for Charlottesville remarks:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:28 PM

2,645 posts, read 2,284,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Why should you pay any taxes?
I see, you want to spin the question. Not going to fall for that.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Why should people skate by without health insurance then use the ERs at astronomical costs, then skip out on paying, the costs for which end up in the taxes you/we pay and in the higher cost of whatever health insurance you/we happen to carry as responsible adults. That's the beauty of the ACA 'mandate' -- make just about all people pay into the system so we spread all the costs among all the people.

Why should we pay for the hospital costs of uninsured healthy 20-something devil may care deadbeats who crash their mountain bikes or fall off a rock cliff and then get airlifted to Denver for emergency surgery?

State governments mandate auto insurance (or a penalty fee); mortgage bankers mandate Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if you have less than 20% equity in your home; mortgage bankers mandate homeowners insurance if you want to get a mortgage; and the ACA mandates people to carry insurance. The ACA goes back to the days of G.H.W.Bush who had the Heritage Foundation draft up a private enterprise insurance scheme for the nation but the effort got sidetracked when pea-brained Ross Perot screwed up Bush's re-election and let Clinton win.

You and I and most people are paying (in taxes and higher insurance premiums) for those who don't want to carry insurance. Doctors and hospitals charge high fees to cover the cost of uninsured people. Thus, arguments that "why am I obligated to pay my hard earned money via taxes (legalized theft) for somebody who doesn't work to support themselves" don't hold water. Nor does "taxes (legalized theft)" hold any water. Taxes are flat out a needed and valid aspect of life in a first-world nation, they are not legalized theft; that dog won't hunt.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that I have to have this conversation with adults. Everyone should have health insurance and if we aren't going to have Medicare for everyone then the nation needs to use the ACA mandate to make it happen and Senator Gardner should stop trying to kick 20 million people off the ACA via "fixes" that are intended to make insurance unaffordable.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-12-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM

20,777 posts, read 11,527,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
He at least did this bit right today - and he has finally scheduled some town halls this week as well. Republican Cory Gardner reprimands Trump for Charlottesville remarks:
Yeah, kind of pathetic when you have to acknowledge that Cory Gardner said the right thing as opposed to the president who prefers to pretend that only black and brown people can be terrorists.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:12 AM

4,691 posts, read 4,313,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Health care is not a right, why am I obligated to pay my hard earned money via taxes (legalized theft) for somebody who doesn't work to support themselves.
Number 1: Why are you here on the Colorado Forum adding your two wooden nickles worth? You live in the red state of Arizona where folks would rather die themselves than allow anybody they deem to be in the slightest bit unworthy have access to medical care. Why don't you trot on over to the Arizona Forum and give your own folks high fives and leave the Colorado Forum alone?

Number 2: It states in the Declaration of Independence that we have the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If a person is denied medical care, they will be deprived of their right to life - if not immediately than by a death that occurs many years earlier than it would have if only the person in question had had access to medical treatment.

Number 3: This "taxes = legalized theft" idea was dead wrong when Ayn Rand wrote it some 80 years ago. It is even more wrong today. But fine by me. Go free little Hschlick - spready your tiny wings and never pay so much as a 3% sales tax again. Of course, since you are so strongly convinced of the "immorality" of paying taxes, then you should be aware of the immorality of taking and/or using things that you didn't pay for yourself. So for starters, get off the roads and highways. You didn't pay for them - the rest of us did. Why should I pay so that some slacker can steal the roads that he didn't put a single penny into? Get out of your car and walk except you better not be doing it in my town since MY tax money paid for the sidewalks. You, shirker, didn't pay a penny as usual. Please don't expect our Armed Forces to protect Prescott (or Phoenix or Tucson) from any armed missile attack from N. Korea or anyone else either. You didn't put so much as a lousy dime toward the pay of the brave fighter pilots who are trying to save your sorry hide. Sit on top of all your dollar bills and watch them catch fire as the shells fall around you.

And don't even bother going anywhere near a professional of any sort - the majority of them attended public schools K-12, and many attended state funded universities - all paid for by guess who? Not you, that's for sure. Why should I pay for YOUR doctor's education? I don't think so. You want to have your cake and eat it, too. That doesn't work in a modern, highly evolved and wealthy country like the United States. You don't want to pay your taxes, then go live in a third world country or better yet, on an atoll all by yourself in the Pacific. You can pass the time by measuring the steady rise of the oceans thanks to global warming - estimate how much time you have left and take comfort in the fact that you never paid a penny to be a part of civilized society and you richly deserve your fate. Happy now?

Number 4: Why should you pay your hard earned money on someone who doesn't work to support themselves? Most people who are not currently working to support themselves are children and babies, people looking for work who can't find any, the disabled, and the low income elderly. Sure, let's make it the law of the US that the Darwinian law of the survival of the fittest is also the law of the land. Let's make the US into the third world where the poor die in the streets as you watch and 8 or 9 year-old girls approach you to ask for a "date." Let's be a country where disease is rampant thanks to the lack of basics like clean water and city waste disposal systems. I think you and Haiti would be a good fit. And should you suffer "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" (many perfectly decent, hardworking people sometimes do), whatever you do, don't come to me or anyone else asking for the help to get back on your feet.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, that idiot Cory Gardner.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 AM

4,756 posts, read 4,870,025 times
CR, Well said.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM

13,213 posts, read 24,264,196 times
I hear Cory Gardner showed up and got earfuls everywhere he went. Good. I knew the guy wasn't right for this state when his campaign ads were running. Good ol' boys have no appeal for me, he's just one with shiny teeth. Did nobody notice that he was always behind McConnell's coattails every time they went to talk to the press? Is that not a sign?

Anyhow.

First world countries would consider health care to be a right. You know, those global forces like Spain and Mexico.

CR covered the tax bit pretty well. Seems our friend in Arizona has bought into the image of poor lazy people at home sucking up "his" tax dollars to pay for their health care. I have an Arizona friend who pays something like $1100/mo out-of-pocket for heart medications to simply stay alive....and he is a veteran. When he told me that I almost broke into tears. The man works a full-time job, plenty of overtime, and lives in a trailer in the worst part of Phoenix. Thank god my tax dollars don't help him with any of that.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:56 PM

14,463 posts, read 22,301,271 times
Why don't y'all quit bishing and go vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
He was a fine example of the healthcare system, huh?

Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM

13,213 posts, read 24,264,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Why don't y'all quit bishing and go vote?
But what are we supposed to do between votes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
He was a fine example of the healthcare system, huh?
Posted for the popcorn, not the MJ.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:09 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,313,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
But what are we supposed to do between votes?
We are supposed to be good little Coloradans and go watch the matinee at the Aladdin Theater and on the off chance that we get mowed down by some crazy person exercising his Constitutional Rights, we should crawl away quietly and go die in either Wyoming or Kansas so Colorado doesn't have to possibly spend any Medicaid dollars on anyone.

Quote:
Posted for the popcorn, not the MJ.
It's Okay as long as the pot in question is recreational and NOT medical. If partaking of medicinal marijuana please follow instructions given above.

Thank you,
- Your imaginary Senator, Cory Gardner (I'm the one trying to hide behind turtle dude)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or