Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 10,014 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in Colorado Springs since January this year. We moved in from another state because he was offered a job here in the medical field. I had no job lined up, but found one in real estate marketing in another town towards the end of April. After working for about a month, I was laid off when the company that I worked for was sold. Yesterday, we just found out that my husband will also be losing his job. One of our problems is that we just recently purchased a house here in Colorado Springs. Really, without my husband's job, there is no reason for us to stay here. We both have college degrees. I have my bachelor's and several years of experience in multiple fields, but I am still really struggling to find work here. My husband and I would like to look into living in another town within Colorado that might be a bit cheaper than Colorado Springs. We love living in larger towns/cities, but are very willing to consider some smaller towns as well. I don't think we want to live in Southern Colorado (much further South than Colorado Springs). I would love any suggestions for other cities or towns that might be a good option, especially if they tend to be cheaper. If you live in any of these other places in CO, could you please tell me what you like about the areas? What are some of the pros and cons of living there?

Thank you so much for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
The jobs are in greater Denver, greater Fort Collins, and greater Boulder.
All are more expensive than Colorado Springs.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM

1,927 posts, read 2,271,497 times
ouch good luck

Old 07-20-2017, 04:24 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times
It is just a tiny bit further south but you might see what your job prospects are in the Pueblo/Canon City/Florence area. That's just about the only place on the Front Range where most of the jobs are that might be a bit cheaper. Potentially to your advantage, the housing market is pretty hot right now so you may be able to sell your home without taking a loss. You might also check the Grand Junction/Montrose area. Alternatively, sell your house and downsize drastically and take whatever work you can get locally even if out of your fields while continuing to look for more ideal employment.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,375 times
I love the Western Slope. The job market isn't great, so that may be harder, but I do feel like it is much more affordable than Fort Collins/Denver/CO Springs area. It is smaller towns, but so beautiful. I live in Montrose and love it. The housing is slightly expensive when compared to wages as it is slightly booming right now, but sometimes the right job does open up. What areas do you work in? Pros of Western Slope, is weather! Slightly warmer than other parts of the state, but so nice. I love being 40 minutes to Ouray and all those mountains have to offer. I can see nice views during my drives through town. It isn't at the base of the mountain but close enough to enjoy it on a weekend or even a weeknight evening after work. The Grand Mesa is beautiful and cool during the summer, we love to hike both areas. Nothing beats hiking at 10,000 ft in Ouray and just outside of it during the beautiful fall colors. If you enjoy the outdoors, then you will love it. If you are a city person at heart it will be an adjustment as it doesn't have all the amenities that city people seem to need. I am a small town girl and prefer no traffic, an 8 min commute to work and getting outside on the weekends with the kids. Cons are not a ton of shopping or restaurants, but just enough to get the job done if you aren't picky. It is slightly hot in Grand Junction in the summer. Grand Junction itself is not the most beautiful town, but once you get out you have the Monument and Grand Mesa that can be great. It really depends on what you like.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgirl84 View Post
I love the Western Slope. The job market isn't great, so that may be harder, but I do feel like it is much more affordable than Fort Collins/Denver/CO Springs area. It is smaller towns, but so beautiful. I live in Montrose and love it. The housing is slightly expensive when compared to wages as it is slightly booming right now, but sometimes the right job does open up. What areas do you work in? Pros of Western Slope, is weather! Slightly warmer than other parts of the state, but so nice. I love being 40 minutes to Ouray and all those mountains have to offer. I can see nice views during my drives through town. It isn't at the base of the mountain but close enough to enjoy it on a weekend or even a weeknight evening after work. The Grand Mesa is beautiful and cool during the summer, we love to hike both areas. Nothing beats hiking at 10,000 ft in Ouray and just outside of it during the beautiful fall colors. If you enjoy the outdoors, then you will love it. If you are a city person at heart it will be an adjustment as it doesn't have all the amenities that city people seem to need. I am a small town girl and prefer no traffic, an 8 min commute to work and getting outside on the weekends with the kids. Cons are not a ton of shopping or restaurants, but just enough to get the job done if you aren't picky. It is slightly hot in Grand Junction in the summer. Grand Junction itself is not the most beautiful town, but once you get out you have the Monument and Grand Mesa that can be great. It really depends on what you like.
Thank you so much for your detailed input! I received my BFA in Graphic Design back in 2015, but I am looking to leave the field in favor of more stable, office/administrative type work. I've worked in several different industries, from being a Financial Aid Assistant, to being a Graphic Designer, Office Manager, Administrative Assistant, and Account Manager. I was even a marketing/listing coordinator for a real estate company. Unfortunately, that was the job that I was laid off from. I feel like I have a versatile set of skills, but I am really struggling to find someone who will give me a chance to work for them here in Colorado Springs. The hiking in Ouray sounds wonderful. Camping and hiking are definitely things that drew me to Colorado in the first place. I am definitely a city person at heart, and I really enjoy the cold weather here. If I need to move to a smaller town, then I certainly would be open to that so long as my husband and I are able to find jobs!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
ouch good luck
Thank you!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM

8,456 posts, read 8,691,448 times
Have you ever looked in Fountain or Castle Rock and vicinity?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda10990 View Post

If I need to move to a smaller town, then I certainly would be open to that so long as my husband and I are able to find jobs!
I have been following the job market in Montrose for some time now on indeed.com and there seems to be a fair amount of all kinds of work. I am moving to Ridgway next year (25 miles away from Montrose) and will be retired, but have thought I might want to get some kind of job in early retirement and there seems to be a number of types of jobs. Best wishes.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Have you ever looked in Fountain or Castle Rock and vicinity?
I tried and tried to look for work in those areas during the first few months of living here, but I just got so discouraged that I stopped looking. The job that I got laid off from was actually in Castle Rock and the commute wasn't bad because I was living in the Briargate area at the time. I may have to try looking again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado