U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 453 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Colorado after I graduate this fall semester. This May I visited Colorado, specifically Denver and Estes Park, and man is it a beautiful state. I enjoyed every moment I was there, and I think I would really love living there. I am excited but also intimidated by this idea, as I currently live in Indiana. I have been thinking about moving for a long time and have been doing research, when I stumbled upon this forum. I would love to get some advice from you all as I plan this big move.

I am getting an AS in Software Development. After this fall semester, I’ll have my CompTia A+ certification, as well as a certificate in Web Development and a technical certificate in Software Development. At the moment I don’t have any IT job experience; will this lack of job experience make it difficult for me to find work in Colorado, or will I be fine with my credentials?

When it comes to job-searching, a friend of mine said it would look better to put down my current address/state in my resume, and mention that I plan on relocating to Colorado on a certain date. This way I’m being honest and showing a willingness to relocate. But I’ve also read it is better to put down someone’s address (such as a friend) that currently lives in Colorado, and that employers ignore out-of-state applicants. Which would be the better option for me?

If I plan on moving after the fall semester then I will be moving during the winter, and I have read that this is a bad time to move to Colorado. Should I hold out and wait until the spring?

If there's anything specific you would like to know about me I would be happy to share, and thanks in advance for any advice!

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Yes it is lovely in COLO but do check the cost of housing and cost of living in the Denver / Boulder metro area where most IT jobs are located. Ouch.

Still, you're young, unattached, and now is the time to be fearless and pursue your dreams.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Colorado will be a good stepping stone to your next adventure.

Jobs / pay might be better on left coast. Colorado is quite 'desired' and wages can be lower.

Income Tax free WA has similar terrain / outdoor activities to CO and is high wage and IT centric (but also high cost of living. ) AK even better (Pay and outdoor activities) + no sales or income tax.

We just hired 6 new out-of-state engineers (right out of College), all had out-of-state addys (as expected). Get your name out there soon, jobs are plentiful at this time and interns leaving next month, so more openings soon.

When I interviewed for my Out of state job (when leaving Colorado) Hiring manager asked about my relocation, so... I just told them "My wife had the house packed up and ready to leave... she is going somewhere, so this new job will be perfect timing!" as was the case. I got several offers and we were GONE... driving through the snowstorms to a new adventure. (35 yrs ago and into the shadow of a recent volcano. (at the time).

Willingness to work weekends, and night shift aided my chances of getting a good job, and also feathered the pay, enabling me to retire 15 yrs early!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM

759 posts, read 582,353 times
So this was a number of years ago, but I started off my career with similar education and background.

Unfortunately, the market is over saturated with similar skilled your age. Also without a Bachelors degree, your resume will not get past many screening filters for application websites.

Do you have a solid portfolio? This is what will get you into the door. You need to be able to show companies real examples of what you are capable of. Back when I started in the industry, I had to take on many cheap/free freelance jobs to be able to get enough content in my portfolio...I had many disappointing job interviews.

My first suggestion would be to stay put where you are, and take on any internships, freelance jobs, part time work, etc. Get your experience and portfolio in tip top shape. You will have a much easier time doing this back home. Also, Colorado wont be going anywhere anytime soon. If you have to wait a year or two, you will at least be in much better shape to take on the expensive, and competitive nature of this region.

If you do decide to move here without a job, be prepared to take on many low paying jobs or internships. You will also probably need to start doing freelance work (if you want to stay in web dev) for very little pay. There are many jobs here that will pretty much hire on the spot, but they will not pay a comfortable wage compared to our COL. You are young, and would probably make it just fine, be just be prepared for the COL.

In the meantime, apply to any job you can find a posting for, and be willing to be flexible.

In 2011, I was out of school and looking to move. I couldn't make it work, so I had to go back to school for my BA, and take on a number of internships. In 2014, I graduated, and had to move my way up within 2 companies in order to get my resume up to speed. Then in 2016, I got a job offer here in Denver, and it was for a high paying position at a great company. I hated those 4-5 years of waiting, but if I hadn't gone that route, I would be no where near where I am in my career a today...I would probably be one of those moving back home because I was priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or