U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 AM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
BTW, CO ...It is a dry state.
Nope.
Lots of bars and liquor stores everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 3,085 times
Well, let me start first with my budget. I made my money in the market while working in a pharmaceutical factory. How much would I spend for land is how good of a spot it may be. You may say $50k or a a million.

Not looking for land with a pond, I will add to it.

Frankly, most of you sound like you want Colorado for yourselves and don't want to share. I have seen many RE properties already and they don't sound as bad. Just that I wanted to know what area of the state are more to what I have said, not a specific one. If you are a realtor, I don't think I want to hear your comments anyway.

Yes, I am planning to visit a few times before I make a decision.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,762,557 times
Nice job deliberately taking my words out of context. As in my post #20:

"BTW, CO rural areas don't have either a lot of houses OR much small-acreage land with ponds. It is a dry state."

Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitohead View Post
Well, let me start first with my budget. I made my money in the market while working in a pharmaceutical factory. How much would I spend for land is how good of a spot it may be. You may say $50k or a a million.
Its difficult for us to direct you to areas without a budget. Obviously some land is worth more, but in some places 10,000 sq ft of dirt with a 2000 sq ft house will cost $1m. In other places, you can get 1000 acres for $1m. The desirability between the two is huge a factor. We assume you want to live in a desirable place so the budget allows us to narrow the search for you. If you do not want to disclose and are content to search state wide, okay.

Quote:
Not looking for land with a pond, I will add to it.
This shows an unfortunate ignorance of water law. All the water in Colorado has owners. The rain that falls, the snow that melts, the water that runs in creeks and rivers, the water sitting in reservoirs, it all belongs to someone. If you do not have the rights or shares of water included with the property you purchase that allow you to add such a pond to your property, then you are in violation of the law and the state water resource board can drop the hammer on you and not only make you destroy the pond, but also levy fines or leins against your property.

Quote:
Frankly, most of you sound like you want Colorado for yourselves and don't want to share. I have seen many RE properties already and they don't sound as bad. Just that I wanted to know what area of the state are more to what I have said, not a specific one. If you are a realtor, I don't think I want to hear your comments anyway.

Yes, I am planning to visit a few times before I make a decision.
No, we just trying to point out some of the unknown variables that seem to be lost on many people who post in here thinking Colorado is an undiscovered gem with no limits on what you can or can't do that is all high altitude mountain forests with babbling brooks. Half the state is prairie. A quarter of the state is mountains. Another quarter is high altitude valleys where only grass survives without irrigation or are lower lying deserts. I'm sure you have seen some RE properties that don't look bad, but you also have a set of qualifiers that are going to put you in regions where prices tend to be much more variable. The more information you give us, the easier it is for us to help narrow your search. We have nothing to gain or lose with this information. However, you can either gain insight to areas to look, or loose support in narrowing that search but not engaging with us in the process.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
I believe we are being trolled.
Refuses to provide budget.
Plans to "add a pond".

Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
papitohead wrote: "would like to have a large pond to keep fresh fish."

It sounds like you have a huge misconception of what life is like in Colorado. Water is an especially dear commodity here and a "large pond" ... especially on a small acreage is an extraordinarily rare item. Such a feature could easily add a few hundred thousand to the value of a property as you've described, which could easily be in the $50,000/acre range for a 3-acre parcel before the value added aspect of having live water for uses other than domestic (household) use.

I've recently seen small acreage properties such as you describe ... on the Western Slope ... asked at $1.5 to $3 mil. One, by Meeker, was part of an older ranch that had been subdivided for a hunting/fishing lodge operation. A commercial buyer bought it for a corporate retreat, but lost interest in the property when they couldn't book enough guests to make the numbers work on the place. They parceled off 4 acres with live water, a guest lodge, and seasonal access through the main property (the roads aren't improved or maintained during the snowy season ... and you cannot run your snowplow across the other property to gain access to yours) ... the asked price was $3mil. Of course, a big drawback there is that you'd be very remote from a city with the amenities that you seek.

In all candor, I think you would be well advised to come visit Colorado and see for yourself what properties are available that might fit your wish list. Perhaps a call to some of the rural "farm and ranch" brokers would be a starting point to bring some perspective into your vision of what might be here.
This is the best advice you will get.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:20 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,933,065 times
The pond thing is an issue. As described already, water law in CO is pretty byzantine, and you can't just collect or store water wherever you like. Until very recently people were not even allowed to collect rainwater from their roofs. Now it's legal, but in small amounts and for very specific uses.

Best to look for a property with any water already in place. If budget for land is up to $1M or more, you can find riverfront property and then just catch fresh fish.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 PM

603 posts, read 733,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

Best to look for a property with any water already in place. If budget for land is up to $1M or more, you can find riverfront property and then just catch fresh fish.
^This. If building a pond of any size larger than a small landscaping water feature deeded water rights are typically required. Also if the property has a pond make sure that it is there legally and the water rights transfer with the property (water rights transfer with a separate deed from property in Colorado). As an appraiser I can tell you I have seen properties with ponds where the new owners were forced to drain them as the property did not have rights. Not just private individuals but entire subdivisions, most recently Cripple Creek Mountain Estates were ordered to drain their two small trout stocked lakes. As you can imagine property owners that paid a premium to be close to the lakes were quite upset.

But this thread has probably run its course as you seem to discount any advice that does not tell you what you want to hear.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 3,085 times
From what I here from you guys, then it sucks to move to Colorado. Rain comes from heaven to you and the government then takes it away.

Thank you all for the advise.

I am out of here... I guess

Old 07-15-2017, 09:58 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
From what I here from you guys, then it sucks to move to Colorado. Rain comes from heaven to you and the government then takes it away.

Thank you all for the advise.

I am out of here... I guess
You are welcome here, but your desires for land, water and a fish pond just don't fit well in arid western states. A lot of people get that Colorado dream and then we have to explain the realities of this dry, arid landscape where the water wars have been going on for a hundred years or more.

The Shenandoah Valley of VA that I mentioned earlier is a lush emerald green in the summer, four seasons, excellent hunting and fishing, lots of rain and sun for a good growing season, and temperate enough to live in relative comfort. It's near some lovely mountains that will never be developed, i.e., look at the I-81 corridor on the map and you'll see it's bound on the both the east and west by national parks and national forests. It's far enough from DC that you won't get into that traffic mess.

Do let us know where you end up. We all wish you well and hope we've prevented a major disappointment as can be seen by the hundreds of land parcels that are bought, never developed, soon abandoned, and eventually end up sold for taxes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado