Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

[quote=papitohead;48846651 Rain comes from heaven to you and the government then takes it away.[/QUOTE]

1. Rain does not come from heaven, it comes from the sky.
2. The government does not take it away, the owners of the water rights own it once it touches the ground or any attached structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 01:57 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitohead View Post
From what I here from you guys, then it sucks to move to Colorado. Rain comes from heaven to you and the government then takes it away.

Thank you all for the advise.

I am out of here... I guess
No, it's fantastic in Colorado. You just need to understand what is possible and what is not. And as dave said, it's not the government taking the water, it's the people who own the water rights.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:23 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your good points. I did not know Colorado was like a desert with little water. I have seen many mountains with a lot of snow, so where does it go when it melts? back to the clouds?

I appreciate all the good comments here.

Actually I want to have a house built, not buying someone's headache. If someone is selling a house, most of the time is because it is not so good.

I will buy the land cash and build with cash. No financing at all. Who wants a mortgage at 71?

I can keep looking as some of you have mentioned. I have seen land and lots of properties for sale with good views. Oh well, will keep looking. It is fun anyway.
This guy is so clueless about Colorado.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
Most of Colorado is also zoned. You can't just buy a piece of land anywhere and do what you want with it anymore. This is especially the case if you want to be anywhere close to community amenities. And as others have said, good luck with the pond. Water is gold out here.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:49 PM

If the OP is really interested in understanding why water is such a contentious issue in the west, there is not a better place to start than this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Dese.../dp/0140178244

Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If the OP is really interested in understanding why water is such a contentious issue in the west, there is not a better place to start than this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Dese.../dp/0140178244
That book pulls no punches. I've read it.

Required reading.

And mind you, the book came to print in 1993. Think about where we are at nearly a quarter century later.

Read the comments from the Amazon readers as they opine about the book itself. 408 replies, 77% give the book a 5 star rating.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,834 times
Quote:
From what I here from you guys, then it sucks to move to Colorado. Rain comes from heaven to you and the government then takes it away.

It doesn't suck at all. But you need to be realistic about what it's like to live here.

You may not even be allowed to catch rainwater falling on your property here. Also, there are wells/acreage considerations & further considerations of how many animals you can have per well, etc. CO is a desert.

That said, people have been very gracious & helpful to you, but without a budget, we can't really give you any more info.

Contrary to one of the previous posters, there is still plenty of affordable land in CO, but it all depends on what you consider affordable & since you won't tell us, we really can't help steer you to any specific areas.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-15-2017 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That book pulls no punches. I've read it.

Required reading.

And mind you, the book came to print in 1993. Think about where we are at nearly a quarter century later.

Read the comments from the Amazon readers as they opine about the book itself. 408 replies, 77% give the book a 5 star rating.
It is such a great history of all the events that led us to where we are with water.

And it's the revised edition from1993. I think it was originally published in 1986.

I think this comment particularly pertains to this thread:

"The scale of this book is as staggering as that of Hoover Dam. Beautifully written and meticulously researched, it spans our century-long effort to moisten the arid West. . . . Anyone thinking of moving west of the hundredth meridian should read this book before they call their real estate agent."
--St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:

Well, it doesn't rain enough in Colorado anyway to sustain a pond.

If you're set on CO I wouldn't give up hope. But realize that first of all you will need water rights that are deeded, probably ditch water. Then you will need to know what are the allowable uses for the water.

I once owned a house just outside Fort Collins city limits in a residential area that had ditch water available. Some folks used it to maintain a pasture for horses, but most just used it on their lawns. We got water once a week, so we had to either use it on that day (my scenario) or else store it. My next door neighbor had a small pond that she filled up, and then used the water all week long. Another neighbor built an underground cistern to store water and did the same.

As I alluded to previously, I'd much rather live on property bordering moving water, a stream or even a small creek. Stagnant water doesn't interest me personally, and it can be a breeding ground for mosquitos.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I have seen houses with ponds in the Black Forest region. The lots there are generally 2.5 to 5 acres.

I would first investigate to make sure the pond was legally allowed before I'd buy one of those properties.

Perhaps an search using Google Maps on aerial view would find such a property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado