U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:49 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Try $1300 in greater Denver.
Plus lotion costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default Rents, up

Rent in the Denver metro area is up again

Denver renters may not like how the renting market did in the second quarter

"Average monthly rent for the second quarter rose $36.98 to $1,419.74, hitting another rental high. Median rent rose $31.21 to $1,376.79, according to the Denver Metro Apartment Vacancy and Rent report"

Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
People from the Denver area drive to Granby for xc skiing. What does that tell you about Granby winters, hmmmm?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,516 times
$ 550 ? duplex outside of Louisville ? oh I see only one bathroom....In Colorado the second bathroom adds about $ 1200 to the rent .

Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,438 times
Thanks everyone,
I fell in love with the weather and it is beautiful but where we were in Granby seemed a little far out from civilization so to speak.
I like being within 15-30 min of work, grocery and some stores.
I am so tired of the humid, sticky, so so hot summers and the winters just keep getting warmer. I like having actual seasons. I have always loved cooler fall and winter weather.
We visited Grandy in July a cpl yrs ago and will be visiting Estes Park in late Oct. I grew up in NC, my husband is from FL but we have lived in IN for about 10 yrs now. So we have adjusted to colder weather, and we are ok with some snow.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineB101516 View Post
Thanks,
I am currently an inventory clerk for a local locksmith and I also have my liquor license for working at our local liquor store. In the past I have been a night auditor for a Hampton Inn. My roommate is a very experienced locksmith and my husband has worked for a towing/recovery for almost 10 yrs. Right now we are on the outskirts of Louisville KY and our monthly rent is $550 for a spacious 2b/1b duplex. We would like to buy a house (at least a 3b/2b) but Ive been told that I should rent first. Rent seems really high in CO compared to what Im use to (obviously ) But would the average income make up for that?
It looks like there are plenty of jobs for locksmiths and tow truck drivers and they pay between $30k-60k a year. You can search indeed to get an idea of what is out there and the necessary qualifications. If you have office skills there is plenty of jobs, but the pay depends on the skills.

You can apply online for jobs and line them up before you move.

I don't know if legal marijuana is one of the things drawing you to Colorado or not, but the tow truck driver and locksmith jobs probably will have a drug test.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,620,552 times
Quote:
Thanks,
I am currently an inventory clerk for a local locksmith... But would the average income make up for that?
No. Especially Boulder, Denver, or even CO Springs now. Pueblo or GJ would be doable. Check out eastern CO, towns like Kiowa or Strasbourg or something like that. They're pretty low key, but still CO.

It's kind of interesting you loved Granby. It's a neat area, but not my favorite due to all the dead trees.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:52 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone,
I fell in love with the weather and it is beautiful but where we were in Granby seemed a little far out from civilization so to speak.
I like being within 15-30 min of work, grocery and some stores.
I am so tired of the humid, sticky, so so hot summers and the winters just keep getting warmer. I like having actual seasons. I have always loved cooler fall and winter weather.
We visited Grandy in July a cpl yrs ago and will be visiting Estes Park in late Oct. I grew up in NC, my husband is from FL but we have lived in IN for about 10 yrs now. So we have adjusted to colder weather, and we are ok with some snow.
Some snow???? "Some snow" is more like Charlotte, NC, not Denver metro. A "white-out" condition is more than "some snow". Most people can handle the amount of snow the area can get, but there are those that end up either complaining a lot or moving away. Not trying to scare you about the winters there, but they do have a winter and some winters more snow than other winter.

When we lived there, we had both a snow shovel and a snow blower.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,326,609 times
Quote:
I am looking into moving to CO from IN/KY. I visited Granby and fell in love with CO. It would be my husband and I and our roommate. I am trying to find out what would be the best option for us. Ive looked at Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins and Boulder. My husbands main concern is the weather. He is not a fan of a lot of snow.
So what is the weather really like?....Is it as bad as some ppl make it out to be?
What are some good areas to live in?....What is the job availability like?.....What do you like and dont like about living in CO?

Any imput would be awesome. I will take all the info i can get! TIA!
Even though the Front Range receives more snow than the Cincinnati area and the temperatures can drop very low from time to time, you'll find that the winter, and the entire year for that matter, is much more comfortable year round given the low humidity.

We are able to wear shorts and short sleeves in some part of each month of the year, with temperatures reaching 50s and 60s quite often in the winter. Most of the snow on the high plains comes in March and April in storms and generally melts within a day or two.

You will find the climate very agreeable generally, being able to save money on utilities. We use or a/c only a handful of times. Try to get a place with a whole house/attic fan, which you can use at night and then close up your house during the day. There's nothing like the fresh air coming in vs the a/c.

If you're a gardener, you will find the climate more challenging, with some sort of irrigation system a necessity, requiring watering almost daily.

The long and the short of it is that the climate is much more agreeable than where you live now and the snow isn't really a problem at all on the high plains.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Even though the Front Range receives more snow than the Cincinnati area and the temperatures can drop very low from time to time, you'll find that the winter, and the entire year for that matter, is much more comfortable year round given the low humidity.

We are able to wear shorts and short sleeves in some part of each month of the year, with temperatures reaching 50s and 60s quite often in the winter. Most of the snow on the high plains comes in March and April in storms and generally melts within a day or two.

You will find the climate very agreeable generally, being able to save money on utilities. We use or a/c only a handful of times. Try to get a place with a whole house/attic fan, which you can use at night and then close up your house during the day. There's nothing like the fresh air coming in vs the a/c.

If you're a gardener, you will find the climate more challenging, with some sort of irrigation system a necessity, requiring watering almost daily.

The long and the short of it is that the climate is much more agreeable than where you live now and the snow isn't really a problem at all on the high plains.
Well, the OP can believe this post or mine or both. Actually, mine is more realistic, but this posting is good as well.

If you are young, you could wear shorts and short sleeves, but we never did during the winter months we lived there. However, we were in our mid 50's then. If the OP would like, I could include a couple of photos of not "inches" of snow, but "feet" of snow where we lived in Parker. One of those times was after the Holiday Blizzard (Christmas) of 2006. Heck, on Mother's Day weekend, we could easily get 8 inches of snow. Funny, because neither wife nor I had snow during Halloween week or on Mother's Day weekend, when we lived in lower Michigan (her) and northeastern Indiana (me) as teens. Our first Halloween, in Colorado, was the first time in our lives that we seen outside Halloween décor covered in snow!

But, if the OP chooses to totally believe that the winters "aren't that bad" in Denver metro, they will have to move there and find out first hand. Then, they will either go, "ok, who lied to us" or "well, this isn't too bad".

Good Luck OP!

Anyway, we stuck it out for 5 1/2 years and now giving it serious thought of moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or