U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,259 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I plan on moving to Aspen or within 30 minutes of it, in about 10 months. I'm in the beginning stages of planning and am looking for some advice. I have 10 years experience as a server, bartender, and have management training. I'm looking to work in a restaurant or bar, its what I love to do.

When does the hiring season begin? When do they start to staff for the busy season?

Any recommendations on your favorite bars or restaurants? Anyone know of ones with benefits?

How would I go about finding an affordable studio to rent for the middle class lifestyle? I know its difficult to get into the workers housing, especially since I won't officially have a job there until I move to the area, any tips and tricks? Is there a best time to find housing around the seasons?

Where are your favorite places to live or hangout in in Aspen or surrounding area?

Thanks so much guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 AM

204 posts, read 199,000 times
Bring money. I'm serious. Most everything within 30 minutes of Aspen is ridiculously priced & and you're gonna need some cushion to cover the adjustment period.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph518 View Post
Hi everyone!

I plan on moving to Aspen or within 30 minutes of it, in about 10 months. I'm in the beginning stages of planning and am looking for some advice. I have 10 years experience as a server, bartender, and have management training. I'm looking to work in a restaurant or bar, its what I love to do.

When does the hiring season begin? When do they start to staff for the busy season?

Any recommendations on your favorite bars or restaurants? Anyone know of ones with benefits?

How would I go about finding an affordable studio to rent for the middle class lifestyle? I know its difficult to get into the workers housing, especially since I won't officially have a job there until I move to the area, any tips and tricks? Is there a best time to find housing around the seasons?

Where are your favorite places to live or hangout in in Aspen or surrounding area?

Thanks so much guys!
There is no such thing as a "middle class lifestyle" in Pitkin County where Aspen is located. The average household income in Aspen is $137,321 - the highest for any county in Colorado. My favorite place to stay in Aspen for the summer music festival is the Forest Service campground on Highway 82 east of town. Regular people in the area who live there year-round generally commute from Glenwood Springs or Carbondale, but even these towns can be expensive, especially Glenwood.

Have you visited Aspen before? What made you decide to move to that particular town besides the glamor? I ask because you have chosen THE most expensive place in Colorado to start out in. Would you be willing to consider Breckenridge instead? It's more affordable and closer to the cities on the Front Range where you could go to get groceries, etc at less expensive prices. If you want to work in a ski resort town, Telluride would be another possibility. It and neighboring Mountain Village have any number of chic restaurants and bars where you could make good tips. Again, Telluride itself would be very expensive to live in, but many folks commute to Telluride from either the town of Norwood - about 65 miles west of Telluride on Highway 145 or else possibly Ridgway which is roughly the same distance away but somewhat more expensive than Norwood. How are your winter commuting skills on snowy mountain roads? If you haven't already visited Colorado, I highly recommend that you come out for a least a week or two and take a look around before the next ten months are up. Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,813,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph518 View Post
Hi everyone!

I have 2 friends who moved to Aspen many years ago. The first few years were really tough as they grinded it out. Each year it got a little bit better as they found smarter housing and better jobs. Yes Jobs with an "s". Basically, during the season you need to plan on working close to 80 hour weeks so you can afford the COL. The golden ticket is to find a salary job that is year round. Those give you stability and benefits.

I'd start networking and talking to employers a few months out and try to line something up. Once you get a job, then you can start making friends and finding a better living situation.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 AM

11,055 posts, read 12,406,241 times
You must be a millionaire. I'm jealous. Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
I was in Snowmass this past weekend. As others have said, expect to be down valley in Carbondale or Glenwood.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
You need to do you research.

10 months puts you moving in March, not a smart move. Pretty much the end of the season, everyone in hospitality gets their hours cut when the mountain closes and housing is still occupied.

You better have an outstanding resume at high end establishments to get a good service industry job.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,762,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You need to do you research.

10 months puts you moving in March, not a smart move. Pretty much the end of the season, everyone in hospitality gets their hours cut when the mountain closes and housing is still occupied.

You better have an outstanding resume at high end establishments to get a good service industry job.
I wondered about that, too, even though 10 months from now is late May, not March.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM

603 posts, read 733,291 times
The good thing is there is public transportation to bus workers to Aspen as most can't afford to live in the Roaring Fork Valley. It used to be Carbondale was the town that people lived in but the cost of living there has gone up significantly and it is not easily affordable on a middle class income.

Friends of mine who lived in Carbondale for many years moved to Glenwood Springs about 5 years ago. According to them the billionaires have pushed the millionaires out of Aspen into Carbondale. May be a slight exaggeration but you get the picture.

Glenwood Springs is where you will probably need to focus your search for housing, the commute to Aspen is about an hour or sometimes more in winter weather. Best bet is to use the RFTA (Roaring Fork Transportation Authority) buses. They have park and ride stops all along the corridor. You could drive, but parking once you get to Aspen becomes difficult and expensive and traffic along CO-82 can get very congested. Glenwood Springs is by no means inexpensive but it is significantly cheaper than anything in the Roaring Fork Valley, keep in mind you may be looking at a roommate situation to make it work.

Like others have asked, why Aspen? Since you don't have a specific job in hand or a line on worker housing it seems like you are setting yourself for a very difficult situation.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
I don't recall a lot of Aspen worker / local chatter here, but try a search with the search tool at top right of page.

Maybe also check for profiles or forum on facebook or associated with local paper or group.

And plan a scouting visit. 4 plus days checking on housing and talking to service industry bosses & workers will give you the detailed info you need.
https://www.aspenchamber.org/about-a...cation/housing
Call the housing office listed here to get a better sense of the market & strategies. Thousands go thru the same issues. If you were willing to share a place the first 6-12 months, you can start easier (at least on cost).

Parking, I'm told, could be an extra challenge renting in town, as not all rentals have enough guaranteed spots for the demand. You may find a place and still need to find a home parking spot.

In a very brief search for in town apartments the ones I found that you could rent full year were starting around $2,000 and there were few. There are some income restricted places fir much less, in you can get one.

30 Minutes from town won't get you that far and may not save a lot. Lots of folks go 45-60 Miles to find lower costs. Not sure about commute time in winter, might be very large.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-26-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or