U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 PM

37 posts, read 19,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
P.S. Morrison, like Jim Morrison of the Doors, not Morrisey of The Smiths.
Darn autocorrect.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
SE Littleton is further from Centennial but a nicer area with nicer neighborhoods overall and a little more space, it also surrounds parks and state parks which is nice.
This is pretty much exactly what we're looking for, something that's just outside / on the outskirts of Denver, near the mountains but not so far in as too be a really long commute.

Quote:
Morrison is nice too but some of the neighborhoods that are close to Red Rocks often complain of the noise, it won't annoy everyone but just as a heads up. The plowing issue might be more relevant to parts of Morrison than the more built up parts of Littleton.
Meh... How often do they have concerts? We used to live less than a mile from a Nascar speedway and could hear them like we sitting in the stands. Only once a month or so so not too bad.

Quote:
Traffic anywhere in Denver is heavy, rush hour tends to start early around 6 am - 10 am and 2 pm - 7 pm. When it snows you can expect longer delays.
So what would the commute from SE Littleton / Morrison to Centennial would be during rush hour? Google maps pegs it at about a 30-35 minute drive with average traffic. Is this even close to accurate?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 2,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
This is pretty much exactly what we're looking for, something that's just outside / on the outskirts of Denver, near the mountains but not so far in as too be a really long commute.

Meh... How often do they have concerts? We used to live less than a mile from a Nascar speedway and could hear them like we sitting in the stands. Only once a month or so so not too bad.

So what would the commute from SE Littleton / Morrison to Centennial would be during rush hour? Google maps pegs it at about a 30-35 minute drive with average traffic. Is this even close to accurate?
Near Red Rocks there is a drag-racing park (Bandimere) and next to that is a dirtbike race course (Thunder Mountain). Both will be quiet in winter, but auto events are almost every week in the warm season.

The real problem with Morrison used to be not much property for sale. This changed when developers Californicated (bad term but it fits) part of US285.

In places like Turkey Creek Canyon (most roads with the word canyon in them, in fact), you will need to learn to drive winding roads in snow and ice. Don't be in a hurry like so many transplants from flat places are. And assume you will be shoveling snow if you don't own a plow or hire someone else. Not just a few inches, either.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:26 AM

412 posts, read 255,374 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what area DenverNorthGirl is referring to regarding SouthEast Littleton. There is an area of Unincorporated Jefferson County that has a postal address of Littleton which is actually a SouthWest suburb. Not much space there either as it is mostly cookie-cutter housing in the $350K range.

As for the commute to the mountains, the I70 mountain traffic increases the commute time.

Look at Red Rocks website to see a schedule of events...it is more than once a month.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM

5,287 posts, read 2,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I'm not sure what area DenverNorthGirl is referring to regarding SouthEast Littleton. There is an area of Unincorporated Jefferson County that has a postal address of Littleton which is actually a SouthWest suburb. Not much space there either as it is mostly cookie-cutter housing in the $350K range.

As for the commute to the mountains, the I70 mountain traffic increases the commute time.

Look at Red Rocks website to see a schedule of events...it is more than once a month.
I was wondering about "SE Littleton" also. The City of Littleton is not southwest metro, more like south. The suburbs of Littleton are sprawly both to the east and west, and I think she must be refering to areas such as the subdivisions near Aspen Grove shopping center. Which WOULD be an easy commute to Centennial. The farthest places with a Littleton zip code would not be an easy winter commute. They actually are more difficult than places farther away but along I70. Just because crow flies distance from a highway isn't far, doesn't mean the roads in between are easy driving.

OP seems to have fantasy of mountain life without mountain realities, among which is more difficult winter commuting. It was a bit of a joke in the foothills that sooner or later, the spouse that didn't want to commute in winter would either quit working altogether or find some way to work from home. No joke. That's fine as long as you aren't counting on the dual income, which OP now is doing to afford a $500k house instead of the original $250k.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The farthest places with a Littleton zip code would not be an easy winter commute. They actually are more difficult than places farther away but along I70. Just because crow flies distance from a highway isn't far, doesn't mean the roads in between are easy driving.

OP seems to have fantasy of mountain life without mountain realities, among which is more difficult winter commuting.

I wouldn't exactly say that. I've lived in Chicago and have commuted in snow lots of times. It's more my wife isn't confident with driving in the snow and Chicago snow isn't like Denver snow. We're trying to get a feel for things and understand the (what seems to be) big contrast between Denver and just outside of Denver.

For example, in the Chicagoland area, Downers Grove could be considered "just outside of Chicago" with the actual distance being about 15 miles. It seems that this isn't the case with Denver and the "urban sprawl" pretty much stops at the foot of the mountains.

For what its worth, the one property we saw was located 0.4 miles from 285 and 2 miles as the crow flies from Willowbrook subdivision on the southwest side of Denver.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM

412 posts, read 255,374 times
Quote:
I wouldn't exactly say that. I've lived in Chicago and have commuted in snow lots of times. It's more my wife isn't confident with driving in the snow and Chicago snow isn't like Denver snow. We're trying to get a feel for things and understand the (what seems to be) big contrast between Denver and just outside of Denver.

For example, in the Chicagoland area, Downers Grove could be considered "just outside of Chicago" with the actual distance being about 15 miles. It seems that this isn't the case with Denver and the "urban sprawl" pretty much stops at the foot of the mountains.

For what its worth, the one property we saw was located 0.4 miles from 285 and 2 miles as the crow flies from Willowbrook subdivision on the southwest side of Denver.
Did that property fit your budget of $250K????? Homes in that subdivision typically go for $600K- 1 mil. You can do a Zillow search of the area, the zip is 80465

Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,917,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
There are loads of very nice family friendly areas near the DTC. It was plopped down into the middle of existing suburbs. The schools in that area are Cherry Creek school system and very good. You practically won the lottery of nice places to live right there. It would be foolish to set yourself up with a long commute when so many good neighborhoods are right there.
+100 yes, yes!

OP would have a good enough salary to live comfortably in the Denver area in a very good school district, and have a comfortable commute.

Trying to live in the foothills would add tremendously to time commitments, frustration, and probably to the overall cost (lots of extra driving for many reasons).

Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Housing Budgeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Did that property fit your budget of $250K????? Homes in that subdivision typically go for $600K- 1 mil. You can do a Zillow search of the area, the zip is 80465
The reason I initially said a budget of $250k it was ultra conservative. I based it on an income of $145k and assuming 35% tax rate, leaves $94,250 which comes out to $7854/month AFTER taxes. Then, using the 35% debt to income ratio leaves $2749 for debt payments per month. Take out the student loans and car payments leaves $1548/month for mortgage,taxes, and insurance. If you plug that into Zillow you come out to a house around $250,000.

If you plugin a straight income of $145k BEFORE taxes, then it says a house up to $525k.

And that's my income alone getting a swing of between $250k-$525k depending on how you calculate it out and work the numbers.

Then if you add in the possibility of my wife working it can swing even more. Lets assume as a nurse she can bring in $55k bringing our total annual income up to $200k. If you plug that into the before taxes you get a value of $829k for a house. And this is all with $0 money down.

So it all depends on how you calculate it out. We're no where near even talking to a real estate agent out there yet. We're just trying to get a feel for the different areas / subdivisions and costs since everyone says the housing market is extremely expensive out there and the cost of living is sky high due to the influx of people.

Then take taxes into account. Currently we pay $4,700 in real estate taxes on a home that's assessed at $230k.

So really right now its more an issue of what is the area like, is it safe, close to work, whats the commute like, whats it like in the snow. Are there good schools? etc...

Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,630,850 times
Quote:
My family is considering a move to Colorado ...We have an almost 4 year old and an almost 2 year old...what's a safe, reasonably affordable area that we may find a place with a bit of space? Ideally we'd like something on an acre of wooded land or more thats within a reasonable commute to Englewood area. I define reasonable as 30-45 min drive with traffic wouldnt be bad.

Is it possible to find something like this out that way?
With young kids and starting a new job, consider being walking / biking distance to work. You can get used to the area and later decide if something fits you better.

Personally... stay within CLOSE proximity to your kids (home / school) for the few yrs you have them hanging around. We were able to find small acreages in nice locations and still bike to work. In Colorado, that entailed a home adjacent to a large park (we had a 1/4 acre lot, but no houses between us and the park) and no 'road' to cross to get to the park.

There are still places within Denver metro that are somewhat secluded. Personal safety will not be an issue for most (all?) Colorado / Englewood area locations.

Consider other options (taking a job in a community you can engage with your family).

Avoid the commute at this time. When the kids are gone, then you can consider a commute (if you must).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or