U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 PM

37 posts, read 19,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
With young kids and starting a new job, consider being walking / biking distance to work. You can get used to the area and later decide if something fits you better.
I definitely agree with this. I should probably mention that the position also has a policy that would allow me to work from home one day a week. Also in IL, unless you live near skyscrapers there is no biking / walking to work. Practically unheard of here. The idea does intrigue me though, especially if its possible to find space that has some reasonable privacy / good yard but is within biking distance of work.

As a matter of fact we found a house that was "ok" but the backyard bumped right up against the park and had a walking / bike path right next to it. Not something we were "wow" about but could definitely live there for the kids.

The kids are another reason we don't want to go too sky high on price, even if we could afford it. Moving out there is definitely going to mean plane tickets to see family every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
wait did the OP say " adjusted for the cost of living " ? .... So there are companies giving a COL increase to move to Colorado ?
no way. Ok now my whole theory on Business and Corporations being soul less bean counters is completely mute.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
wait did the OP say " adjusted for the cost of living " ? .... So there are companies giving a COL increase to move to Colorado ?
no way. Ok now my whole theory on Business and Corporations being soul less bean counters is completely mute.
No, what I mean is that the increased salary, when taking into account the cost of living, is about the same. In other words, if you look at City-Data's compare two cities feature, there is a statistic that states

"If you make $50,000 in Champaign, you will have to make $61,382 in Denver to maintain the same standard of living. "

So its a ratio of about 1.3. So $100K in Champaign you would have to make $130k in Denver to maintain the same standard of living.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM

5,321 posts, read 2,762,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
I wouldn't exactly say that. I've lived in Chicago and have commuted in snow lots of times. It's more my wife isn't confident with driving in the snow and Chicago snow isn't like Denver snow. We're trying to get a feel for things and understand the (what seems to be) big contrast between Denver and just outside of Denver.

For example, in the Chicagoland area, Downers Grove could be considered "just outside of Chicago" with the actual distance being about 15 miles. It seems that this isn't the case with Denver and the "urban sprawl" pretty much stops at the foot of the mountains.

For what its worth, the one property we saw was located 0.4 miles from 285 and 2 miles as the crow flies from Willowbrook subdivision on the southwest side of Denver.
Yes, at least you know what snow is. But IL doesn't have the terrain of the CO foothills/canyons. Night and day. Roads are neither flat nor straight in that part of metro Denver.

I am familiar with the canyon roads in the areas you mentioned, including the one shown in the house with Morrison address. That area is not like Willowbrook. And neither of those is "SE Littleton." What the realtor poster might have meant is the subdivisions EAST of Wadsworth that stretch into Centennial. Those would definitely be an easier commute, plus plenty of the usual amenities for kids. Nearby schools, nice rec centers, playgrounds, parks, plenty of other kids to play with, very low wildfire risk (fulltime paid fire departments and lots of hydrants), good Internet and cell service (even Verizon cell was LOUSY in large parts of the foothills), all paved and maintained roads.

The other thing to think about is that many homes in the foothills do not have the kind of neighborhood controls ex-city dwellers tend to want. If you dislike a "mixed" neighborhood (trashed but inhabited shacks of neerdowells--including career criminals--juxtaposed with expensive nice places), you would be in for a shock on some of those canyon roads. A former coworker of mine used to go on and on about how awful it was that such-and-such canyon road had such dumps mixed in with nice houses. A friend went to court because her neighbor saw CA plates on her car and harassed her repeatedly. My friend was a CO native who had moved to CA because she could not get a job in her field in CO. A former neighbor told us that some people were having an automatic-weapons party somewhere near her. Poachers had been observed several times in other nearby areas. (Yes, we saw them, too.) These are what some would call white trash. It is easier for them to hide in those areas. And the sheriffs are farther away.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-02-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Did that property fit your budget of $250K????? Homes in that subdivision typically go for $600K- 1 mil. You can do a Zillow search of the area, the zip is 80465
Yeah, I had to stifle a giggle at that one. Willowbrook is majorly expensive, and it isn't in the mountains. It is, basically, upscale edge suburbia. OP would do better to look at Ken Caryl, but that is also expensive.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Those would definitely be an easier commute, plus plenty of the usual amenities for kids. Nearby schools, nice rec centers, playgrounds, parks, plenty of other kids to play with, very low wildfire risk (fulltime paid fire departments and lots of hydrants), good Internet and cell service (even Verizon cell was LOUSY in large parts of the foothills), all paved and maintained roads.

Well, we pretty much assumed that moving from the Midwest to the Denver area would be a change in lifestyle for us, so why not embrace it? So what are some areas to avoid (higher crime, more expensive, etc)?

It looks like somewhere near / in Littleton / Centennial would be pretty close to work and have lots of amenities. What about Aurora? Good? Bad?

Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am familiar with the canyon roads in the areas you mentioned, including the one shown in the house with Morrison address. That area is not like Willowbrook. And neither of those is "SE Littleton." What the realtor poster might have meant is the subdivisions EAST of Wadsworth that stretch into Centennial.
This brings up a point you may want to question your realtor about...how long have they lived here and how well do they know the areas you are researching. With the huge influx of people we have had an accompanying influx of realtors who maybe great sales people and have a overview of many areas but not know specifics of any areas nor any of the complexities of some areas for issues such as subsidence, expansive soils, slide zones, underground springs, or even intricate zoning issues and municipality borders that can differ greatly from area to area.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Well, we pretty much assumed that moving from the Midwest to the Denver area would be a change in lifestyle for us, so why not embrace it? So what are some areas to avoid (higher crime, more expensive, etc)?

It looks like somewhere near / in Littleton / Centennial would be pretty close to work and have lots of amenities. What about Aurora? Good? Bad?
Aurora is good or bad depending on the location. Aurora is geographically huge.

Southeastern Aurora is typically much better. Northwestern is to be avoided.

I still think Littleton and Centennial are the right idea. Come visit.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This brings up a point you may want to question your realtor about...how long have they lived here and how well do they know the areas you are researching. With the huge influx of people we have had an accompanying influx of realtors who maybe great sales people and have a overview of many areas but not know specifics of any areas nor any of the complexities of some areas for issues such as subsidence, expansive soils, slide zones, underground springs, or even intricate zoning issues and municipality borders that can differ greatly from area to area.
Excellent point!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,701,157 times
Quote:
Considering your possible work locations, south and southeast Aurora would be very good options. Nice housing and good schools (Cherry Creek school district). All of the south Aurora neighborhoods off of Arapahoe east of Parker Rd are nice and have good trails, but they may not fit your budget nor desire for a larger yard. This would be zipcodes 80016 & 80015. For the record, part of this area is also in Centennial. Parker would be another good option. Easy access via Lincoln.

Last edited by Gorges; 08-03-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or