Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 312,361 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously thinking about moving to Montrose. Currently live in the foothills outside of Boulder.

I would either like a little land and a livable cabin or a house that's conveniently located near town.

Headed over in a couple of weeks, but truthfully haven't been there since I went to college in Gunnison.

Looking forward to being near Blue Mesa, the Black Canyon and my old stomping grounds.

Would love your thoughts on areas of town to check out.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,450 times
Ouray

Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Can't afford anything in Ouray.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
If you just do a sort on Realtor.com you can find listings in the Montrose area

Montrose, CO Single Family Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
I'd look south of town near the river perhaps as far as Colona and west / southwest of town between Spring Creek Road and Dave Wood Rd. And east on 50 along Cedar Creek.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Ouray
Beautiful little town but box canyons are hard to live in; very few hours of sun in the winter and it's also crazy busy with tourists. I would prefer Ridgway to Ouray for living but again prices there will be higher than Montrose.

OP I am partial to properties up on Spring Creek Mesa (area west of the city proper) especially if you want a rural feeling and are interested in doing some gardening or growing some fruit. It's pretty green up there with irrigation.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:34 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I'd look south of town near the river perhaps as far as Colona and west / southwest of town between Spring Creek Road and Dave Wood Rd. And east on 50 along Cedar Creek.
NW Crow and Starry Skies Above have good input on the Colorado forum-always! Spot on commentary here.

I was through Montrose a couple weeks ago. I saw a few for sale signs a few miles south of town, newer homes there and the sizes of the lots vary. But they are decent places, not a bunch of trophy homes that look like Klingon war ships (heh-think Star Trek). Along 550 south are several small antique stores that are worth digging through, lots of development just east of those stores.

North of the city limits isn't very doable as that area is mostly industrial (think mfg. distributorships, batch plants, etc.) East of town there isn't really a lot out there as far as newer homes w/ lots. Spring Creek Mesa and the stretch along Dave Wood Rd.--nice area, prices have gone up over the last few years though.

I've lived in Mesa County full time now for nearly three decades. I gave serious thought to Montrose, almost bought a place there, but settled in Mesa County instead. I visit friends in the Montrose/Ridgway area every couple weeks or so.

Check out the listings on Realtor.com. There are some places that can be bought for 125K close to downtown. Best to come out for a visit and stay a few days. Unfortunately I'm not aware of an extended stay motel where you can get a room for the week and get a price break. Perhaps the Montrose Chamber of Commerce can help you there. There are several motels along US Hwy 50 east of Townsend Ave. When the Montrose Pavilion would have a concert there I'd get a room at the Days Inn. A decent place to eat for breakfast or lunch is Starvin' Arvins, just a little south of downtown on south Townsend.

Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-22-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 04:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Might want to check out the Montrose message board on Facebook. There are areas of town to avoid due to crime and drug use, but there are also some nice subdivisions.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:54 AM

When I searched for the Montrose Messge Board the first resits that came up were about dog fighting rings in Montrose, Olathe and Mesa County.

My heart dropped.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:00 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,709 times
I am on the Montrose Message Board and have never seen posts about dog fighting rings. Weird.

As for temporary places to live, both the Black Canyon Motel and Briarwood Inn did offer weekly rentals, though you will have to check with them directly to see if they still do.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado