U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
IMO, Washington is a much nicer state than Colorado.

Salaries and wages tend to be higher in Washington with the added benefit of no state income tax. ...Finally, the scenery, in particular the forestry and coastal vistas, along the Puget Sound and Pacific coast of Washington state is unparalleled in Colorado, which is mostly brown and parched-looking and, in many areas, extremely flat and treeless. FWIW, there is no Chuckanut Drive in Colorado.
Having lived and worked in both states nearly 30 yrs each... WA has far more benefits (to me) but each family will be different.

Coastal + Mtns + water + electricity + very diverse economy and employment (with much higher wages in WA) stand out. Plenty of REALLY nice recreation options 'next door' (BC), Very internationally engaged economy, education, culture.

CO has gas and oil (which WA does not). But a LOT of pressure on Quality of life / sustainability.

Dropping off in the Pacific Ocean is OK by me (I'm insured) And about ready to check out anyway
I am much more concerned with being shot by an angry CO kid, than WA crime. (But I do not live in metro WA, and restrict my time in CO to under 10 days / month and NEVER go urban there.)

Living on the WA border of WA/OR has really been an advantage. 20+ colleges and a GREAT airport accessible in under 30 min and little / no traffic. (one traffic light!) . There is a LOT to do, very near (ski, volcano, Oregon coast, extensive ag (forestry or crops) and 1,000's of DIFFERENT jobs (and food trucks) Is all within an hour (very little traffic). Can get a 2 hr flight to LA or CO many times / day, and direct flights to Asia. or hop a ferry to AK from WA.

Garnering Left Coast wages (income tax free) was the primary benefit during my earning yrs. ~ $700 / month raise for me to move to WA (30 yrs ago). 10 - 20% / yr property appreciation was good for 'potential' sale proceeds, but led to the SAME problem that I left CO (too high of Property taxes to allow me to farm). So... off to the bottom of the Ocean! (could happen any second) But I am not home much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If WA product was delivered to CO, you should have paid only CO rate sales tax.
... It is really quite simple for a business to report WA sales tax exclusions on big items. (worth asking)
Thanks for the post. I did check and the tax was the Ridgway, CO, tax, 8.5 per cent. Apparently this is set in stone after all the online shopping and taxation issues.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:40 PM

11,640 posts, read 7,207,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm1garvin View Post
Hi Sonic,
We're heading from Colo Spgs to the Puget Sound area. Originally from MI and MA so we miss the water terribly, but do not want to go back to the cold. Compared to Colo Spgs, are you loving Olympia? That happens to be one of the areas we're looking. That and the Kitsap Peninsula. Any input would be amazing! We're both teachers....as long as we get jobs! (fingers crossed)
Hey, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I did that move in reverse, FROM Olympia, TO Colorado Springs. My sons were in North Thurston County schools, in Lacey (a suburb of Olympia.) I liked the schools. In particular I am a huge fan of orchestra and my sons got to start that early there, compared to here in Colorado. They made it a priority to keep those programs (last I knew anyhow, it's been a while, I moved to CO in late 2011.)

I love Colorado Springs. I really do. It's the first place that has felt like "home" for me in a very long time. I enjoyed certain things about the PNW...the natural beauty of it is breathtaking. Everything is so...big. The birds are big, the mountains are big, the trees are big. Sure, it rains a lot, but when the sun does come out, it's like a little miracle is happening, every single time. To combat the dreariness you can get with grey weather, I recommend pursuing arts and entertainment. Your eyes need the color. Fortunately, there's plenty of it to be had in nearby Seattle and Portland, and even Olympia has a cool Art Walk event with a parade they call "Procession of the Species." Go look at Youtube vids. It's super neat.

Do not get your hopes up too high about the ocean. The east coast beaches, and the PNW beaches are nothing alike at all. You can do a sandy beach experience in Washington, if you feel like it, but I wouldn't...unless you're really into flying a kite. I didn't find any cool seashells, and it was cold and windy even in high summer. The wind will sandblast you. It's just not fun. But if you go down the coast a little into Oregon, you can find the rocky beaches which are a whole different experience and worth checking out. Tide pools and what-not. But you just won't get a "warm beach" experience anywhere in the region, really, not like back east.

Be careful of the people. People have different overall mentalities in different regions. It was my personal observation that I repeatedly encountered super-mega-friendly "I love you so much, we are BFFs yay!" people up there, who would knife you in the back or otherwise take advantage at the drop of a hat. It's jarring if you grew up with the opposite on the East Coast where people aren't as casually friendly, but are somewhat more genuine. Just be careful who you trust.

I have found the people here in the Springs (no, not really that many right-wing-religious folks, there's plenty of diverse thinking here if you know where to look) to be among the best balance of genuine, but friendly, fun/colorful, yet common-sense, out of any place I've ever lived, and that might be the biggest reason I love it here.

Things I recommend in the PNW:
-The Seattle Zoo. It's small, but cute, and I liked it better than the "big zoo" experience of Point Defiance in Tacoma.

-Concerts. Seattle & Portland have lots. Especially make a point to see March Fourth Marching Band. Don't care what kind of music is normally your thing, if you like fun, you will love M4MB.

-Voodoo Doughnuts. Sure, we've got one in Denver, but it was my opinion that the original locations in Portland are better.

-The South Capitol neighborhood in Olympia for Halloween. Does not matter if you have kids or not, this area goes ALL OUT for Halloween and plenty of folks of all ages, in or out of costume, walk the streets just to experience it. Tons of decorating, wandering musical troupes, and even this house where they carve a bajillion pumpkins so beautifully it will blow your mind. https://olyarts.org/2017/10/24/pumpkinhouse/
(I really miss Halloween up there, because the weather was often really wonderful...not too cold, a bit damp, maybe a thick fog, it was so fun!)

-A good broom or vacuum cleaner. One that you are very friendly with. The trees drop...stuff. Bits of stuff. Everywhere, always. And you will track it in with your wet feet. Always. Have fun with that. And if the invasive blackberry plants take over your yard, look into renting a goat. It's the best way to control them.

Be aware that it's not as easy to get a good steak up there in a restaurant. I assume that's because farming cattle is...not really as much of a thing up that way. It's more expensive and not as common. But if you dig seafood, and coffee from weird little huts in every parking lot, you'll be right at home.

You will soon, if you move there, notice that you have memorized the best places to view Mount Rainier in your everyday life, and every time you're in one of those spots, you'll look to "see if the mountain is out." It's like a weather condition. When I was there, the parking lot of the Walmart in Lacey was a good spot.

I liked the PNW, it was cool...but I like CoS better. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,106,166 times
Its been said already but I will repeat. The long stretch of gray is really tough to take in OR/WA. Basically 6 mos of mostly overcast, 2-3 mos of party overcast, and 3 really great mos from mid June to late Sept.

The winter gray is a big issue for many people after a few years. I don't have SAD but I think it affects anyone's psyche to some degree. It's why caffeine (Starbucks) become so popular here. An artificial stimulant to help offset the dark gray fall/winter/springs. When it is gray for weeks and weeks on end, you get kind of almost desperate to escape it, and can only do that in a plane.

The summers are great, but I actually wish WA got monsoons like CO/NM/AZ do in summers. It gets a bit too dry in summers IMO in WA. The summers are actually far drier in WA/OR then AZ/NM/CO....this is a trivia question most would fail!

There are places that get a lot of rain that don't have the gray that just hangs there for months like the PNW. Its not the rain in the PNW that bothers me, its the deep low gray clouds that just hang there for months and months. Some areas of the world get say afternoon rain, but then the sun comes out.

I could only live in WA unless I snowbirded a good deal of the winter. Two week annual vacation would not be enough IMO WA/OR. Holidays Nov/Dec I could handle (October very gray too by the way), but I would like to leave to somewhere sunny from Jan 1 and come back May 1.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,106,166 times
Another nice thing I wanted to add about CO vs. WA is the "wide open spaces" and long vistas, skies, sunsets in CO (and some other MW states too). WA does not have as much of that in Western WA because of the trees and landscape, and 6-8 mos of overcast. Eastern WA has some of that, but not many people live out there, and its not as nice as CO's open spaces.

"Oh give me land, lots of land, and the starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in"

....I just had to add those lyrics! (course front range urban ain't got as much "wide open country" these days)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado