U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
3,143 posts, read 1,933,065 times
Reputation: 3266

Advertisements

Being a user of pot is essentially decriminalized in most of the U.S. I've lived in several different states, and all throughout my life I've known people who smoked pot. When I was high school there was a regular group of kids that went down the street at lunchtime to a city park to smoke. It was well known and certainly any teacher could have alerted the cops to stop by and arrest them if they'd wanted to. (This was in the so-called conservative heartland of America.) Just a few months ago I was taking a mid-morning walk along Tempe Town Lake, near ASU. Two fellows were smoking pot there, out in public, and a security dude on a bicycle just rode right past them. Nobody cares, really, as long as you're not selling to kids or moving huge quantities of the stuff.

Because of this, I'm pretty surprised that so many people seem interested in pulling up roots and moving to a place just because it's legal. I guess they just want to be around the pot culture? Or make some money from it?

I'm okay with it being legal, as I believe people will ultimately do what they want. They just need to not harm anyone else with their activities.

IMO, large scale growing on an agricultural scale should be allowed, which would make grow houses unprofitable (I would think, anyway?).

Last edited by hikernut; 08-04-2017 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2017, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Reputation: 13810
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Good-
1.An alternative to alcohol for some.
2.Increased tax revenue.
3.Absorbed some of the vacant real estate in various places of the state.
4.Creating economic activity in some destitute areas.
5.State is viewed as progressive socially.
6.State is leading in research of measuring and monitoring. To you question of how much, 5 nanograms is the limit. Blood testing is becoming accurate enough to very stories of contact high vs inhalation and period of time from contact. Expect that to expand into some sort of roadside verification before long.

Bad-
1.Escalating real estate occupancy and pricing has made things more difficult for other small business that are less cash rich. This can limit other business growth or make it cost prohibitive to expand.
2.State seems to be attracting a higher percentage of destitute persons who only want weed and menial employment.
3.Research is showing it has having greater impacts on mental capacity than previously thought.
4.Proliferation of products has made us the #1 state for teen use and emergency room visits for excess consumption.
5.Becomes harder to find employees who can pass a drug test.
6.State is viewed as progressively social.

I like how you put State is viewed as progressively social as being good and bad, especially the later.

To anyone who says smoking weed is a better alternative to those who abuse alcohol and such, I disagree.

A certain % of folks who drink let's say alcoholically may be as high as about 10%, at worst... assuming they all went back off the wagon at the same time. The number of hard drinkers who are not quite alcoholic... yet or otherwise? Also about 10%.

So, it just so happens that troubled drug users are as frequent as the alkies.

We all know there are folks who can imbibe in the hippie lettuce and still function. They ain't full-blown addicts.

Well, the same argument can be made for booze.

Neither booze nor weed is the Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Being a user of pot is essentially decriminalized in most of the U.S. I've lived in several different states, and all throughout my life I've known people who smoked pot. When I was high school there was a regular group of kids that went down the street at lunchtime to a city park to smoke. It was well known and certainly any teacher could have alerted the cops to stop by and arrest them if they'd wanted to. (This was in the so-called conservative heartland of America.) Just a few months ago I was taking a mid-morning walk along Tempe Town Lake, near ASU. Two fellows were smoking pot there, out in public, and a security dude on a bicycle just rode right past them. Nobody cares, really, as long as you're not selling to kids or moving huge quantities of the stuff.

Because of this, I'm pretty surprised that so many people seem interested in pulling up roots and moving to a place just because it's legal. I guess they just want to be around the pot culture? Or make some money from it?

I'm okay with it being legal, as I believe people will ultimately do what they want. They just need to not harm anyone else with their activities.

IMO, large scale growing on an agricultural scale should be allowed, which would make grow houses unprofitable (I would think, anyway?).
I agree with your assessment to the assumption folks move here for weed.

I don't believe it happens much at all and I think it's only a slight detour for most tourists who come through here.

There were always bums and they don't have much to do with the weed situation. This is another argument I hear or see on this topic which is mind-numbing.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-04-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 03:05 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Reputation: 23216
I think it is a horrible idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 04:04 PM
 
Location: At the end of the road
468 posts, read 625,219 times
Reputation: 450
As soon as we announced to our friends that we were moving from AK to CO, a bunch of them got excited that we were moving to a legal state. They didn't seem to know that we were also moving from a legal state. We moved because we have always liked CO when we visited and my husband got a job. Moving from a legal state to a legal state was a bonus but did not even enter our moving decision discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,273 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Reputation: 53256
Legalize marijuana and reduce deaths from drug abuse | TheHill


Take that Jeff Sessions and put it in your peace pipe.

Okay I had a car accident in my 20's after I smoked one. Having another form of impaired drivers on the road is a concern for legalized marijuana for recreational use. There's cell phone distraction, drunk drivers and the THC impaired? I have mixed emotions about it. There are days that I'd love to go down to the corner market and buy some marijuana. I prefer it to a wine buzz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM
 
218 posts, read 110,758 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Good-
1.An alternative to alcohol for some.
2.Increased tax revenue.
3.Absorbed some of the vacant real estate in various places of the state.
4.Creating economic activity in some destitute areas.
5.State is viewed as progressive socially.
6.State is leading in research of measuring and monitoring. To you question of how much, 5 nanograms is the limit. Blood testing is becoming accurate enough to very stories of contact high vs inhalation and period of time from contact. Expect that to expand into some sort of roadside verification before long.

Bad-
1.Escalating real estate occupancy and pricing has made things more difficult for other small business that are less cash rich. This can limit other business growth or make it cost prohibitive to expand.
2.State seems to be attracting a higher percentage of destitute persons who only want weed and menial employment.
3.Research is showing it has having greater impacts on mental capacity than previously thought.
4.Proliferation of products has made us the #1 state for teen use and emergency room visits for excess consumption.
5.Becomes harder to find employees who can pass a drug test.
6.State is viewed as progressively social.
I agree!! These are very good upsides and downsides. I've noticed #3 is especially true when people overdo it. We have many that think because it's a plant it can be used liberally without much constraint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 PM
 
218 posts, read 110,758 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Yes, others have legalized, but there is still the intrinsic draw of Colorado. That is why being perceived as socially liberal has both good and bad sides. On the good side it demonstrates a willingness to look at the positive merits of what some consider an vice and not toe the line simply because of historical perspective. On the bad side, it attracts persons who think we are willing to become a welfare state who welcome anyone in a derelict 35 year old camper with no income who is willing to live off the grid.

Forgot one;
Bad-
7.The extensive illegal grows in residential areas supplying the black market. Who in the heck thought 100 plants per person was reasonable when these was passed?
Yes, definitely. Too many campers and those illegal grows attract paranoia and crime. Also, the illegal grows are going a bit too far. I guess it's so the surrounding states have their own too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 PM
 
218 posts, read 110,758 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Being a user of pot is essentially decriminalized in most of the U.S. I've lived in several different states, and all throughout my life I've known people who smoked pot. When I was high school there was a regular group of kids that went down the street at lunchtime to a city park to smoke. It was well known and certainly any teacher could have alerted the cops to stop by and arrest them if they'd wanted to. (This was in the so-called conservative heartland of America.) Just a few months ago I was taking a mid-morning walk along Tempe Town Lake, near ASU. Two fellows were smoking pot there, out in public, and a security dude on a bicycle just rode right past them. Nobody cares, really, as long as you're not selling to kids or moving huge quantities of the stuff.

Because of this, I'm pretty surprised that so many people seem interested in pulling up roots and moving to a place just because it's legal. I guess they just want to be around the pot culture? Or make some money from it?

I'm okay with it being legal, as I believe people will ultimately do what they want. They just need to not harm anyone else with their activities.

IMO, large scale growing on an agricultural scale should be allowed, which would make grow houses unprofitable (I would think, anyway?).
Very True, excellent. If it weren't banned there could be more grow places like wineries and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 AM
 
218 posts, read 110,758 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Legalize marijuana and reduce deaths from drug abuse | TheHill


Take that Jeff Sessions and put it in your peace pipe.

Okay I had a car accident in my 20's after I smoked one. Having another form of impaired drivers on the road is a concern for legalized marijuana for recreational use. There's cell phone distraction, drunk drivers and the THC impaired? I have mixed emotions about it. There are days that I'd love to go down to the corner market and buy some marijuana. I prefer it to a wine buzz.
Our cell phone use, especially among teenagers, since I teach high school and college, has gotten out of control. This may be a very big factor among drivers. I'm sorry that you had to experience the accident. I've been through accidents too, last one was 06. Took two years to get over all the legal stuff. I think we have a new addiction called internet addiction or cell phone addiction. They say it's just as bad or if not worse than driving under the influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,961,791 times
Reputation: 4258
I love what it has done for the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top