U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM

5,278 posts, read 2,723,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That's not the point. If they decide that cannabis sales in their town should be allowed, who are we to say what their reasons are?

The point is that if you were to convene a town hall meeting there tonight and took a vote of whether cannabis sales should be continued to be allowed, the results would be an overwhelming yes. They can vote pot sales out anytime they want to.

Compare that with the slant that Fox News put on the story. After reading it, you come away with the impression that store owners are scared and that a once beautiful mountain resort town is now a pit. You and I both know that isn't the truth.

The bigger point is that Fox or that reporter had an agenda and purposely slanted the story. It has fueled attempts for some people to report things like "you have to step over people" in Durango. It was the most read story on Fox News's website that day, and who bothers checking for facts? I mean it's Fox News, right?

As others on this thread has stated, and whom I happen to agree with, the "pothead bum" problem will ease, is already easing in fact, as more states legalize. Really, if the transient problem is the worst problem you can come up with for believing legalization has been negative, then I would call legalization a success.
I don't do Fox News. I do believe what my own eyes see, in person, over time. Not just in Durango, but in other towns where easier pot access attracted bums.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,815,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Wether you believe legal cannabis is a good thing or maybe a bad thing, there are many other things that are legal, far worse than cannabis. EG: police treatment of suspects, corporate raping of the environment, corporate money in politics, the federal reserve, the IRS, the DEA, the FDA and other alphabet agencies, and industrial farming. These are just a few things that come readily to mind.
And no one ( myself included ) has taken the time to start a thread on these topics. Seems like we're ( myself included ) content to distract ourselves with a relatively unimportant issue.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:10 PM

3,108 posts, read 861,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
This is a cool and heart-felt story. I am so sorry about what alcohol has done to your family. I've seen it do some nasty things in my family. Just curious, do you usually feel good?
I always feel good. Bad days are quite rare, and are almost always caused by something someone did that is out of my control. There's another secret to my happiness: I Am Not A Political Person. I don't let politics run my life.

Quote:
Do you still feel motivated to work and get things done?
Motivation? Well, if you could see my life's work you would realize that's never been an issue. I'm quite the successful businessman. I also have very strong technical skills. By the time I became a teenager I was already fixing tube-type televisions for friends and neighbors. My electronics skills are rooted in my childhood. My childhood largely consisted of me alone in my bedroom, door closed, parents in the other room fighting like cats and dogs, focusing on what I really enjoyed: Taking apart anything that used electricity and putting it back together again. I have built a career on those skills. Even to this day, I build a complex piece of electronic test gear for a niche industry. I designed the hardware and wrote the software. All while using cannabis.

Quote:
Has it ever lost it's potency or effect?
That's a complex question. Everyone builds up tolerance, especially with daily use. But depending of the type of effect you're looking for, that can be a good thing. In my case, it's best to clear your mind of all the common stereotypes, because none of them apply to me. I don't use it to get "stoned", "blasted", or anything of the sort. That is where the importance of strains comes into the conversation. That point is so important, but so overlooked. I use strains that helps with motivation, energy, creativity, and focus, just the opposite of what so many have doggedly stereotyped into their minds. My favorite strain is of moderate strength and builds up only a mild tolerance. I choose my strains carefully.

Quote:
I am trying to find examples where people can live a good life, and have a career, raise a family on it.
I have a good life, enjoying my career, and in fact I don't plan on retiring.

About 25 years ago, there was a period of approximately 3 years that I didn't use cannabis at all. There were no withdrawal symptoms or anything like that, but I can look back on that period and honestly say that those were the least productive 3 years of my life.

But my definition of a good life might be completely different than someone else's.

I like to expose my successes here because I think it might, but probably won't, change the opinion of someone who thinks I deserve jail time for my accomplishments. So I probably don't say it often enough: Cannabis isn't for everyone. For some people it gets so in the way of their life that they don't have any business doing it. Some of those are the "pothead bums" just discussed. But what many don't realize is that's only the visible surface of cannabis use. Underneath that visible surface are millions of users like me, for whom it can be beneficial.

Quote:
I'm assuming you probably keep your use regulated or maybe just use in the evenings?
Regulated? Yes. Just in the evenings? Not necessarily.

I saw this quote in the thread:

Quote:
Seems like we're ( myself included ) content to distract ourselves with a relatively unimportant issue.
If you were one of the millions that have been harmed by the war against this plant, you probably wouldn't consider it a relatively unimportant issue. Many people are harmed by this issue (war) every single day. Kudos to Colorado for leading the way out of that war.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,815,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

"Seems like we're ( myself included ) content to distract ourselves with a relatively unimportant issue."

If you were one of the millions that have been harmed by the war against this plant, you probably wouldn't consider it a relatively unimportant issue. Many people are harmed by this issue (war) every single day. Kudos to Colorado for leading the way out of that war.
You are right about that ( I am the writer of the quote at the top of this post ). No argument from me. Personally I am a lightweight user of cannabis. To me it is a sacrament to be utilized during a campfire. I purchased 3 pre-rolled joints in June '16, and I still have part of the 3rd joint remaining. Even as a light weight user, I applaud Colorado for leading the way out of that war. And I give thanks that it is easily and legally available to me when I want to partake of the sacrament.

I have a friend who is somewhat similar to you. There have been very few days since high school when he hasn't smoked a joint. He is 68 now and still runs his own one man remodelling business. His mind is MUCH sharper than just about all of my friends 20 years his junior. The likelihood that he will ever come down with alzheimers is slim to none. Apparently, the regular, long term use of cannabis has protected his brain cells.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,631,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Actually, Durango is pretty bad for pothead bums, as well as other druggie bums. I need to go there for some services but otherwise avoid it even though the natural setting is gorgeous.
Durango had a homeless problem many years before cannabis was legalized. Typical reaction though. Right off the bat, all social problems are caused by legal marijuana (according to those who don't understand or approve).

Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Durango had a homeless problem many years before cannabis was legalized. Typical reaction though. Right off the bat, all social problems are caused by legal marijuana (according to those who don't understand or approve).

ALL social problems? Nobody said that. I know what Durango and Denver were like Before Pot. No illusions about either of them being trouble-free before the additional burden.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,631,356 times
Quote:
ALL social problems? Nobody said that. I know what Durango and Denver were like Before Pot. No illusions about either of them being trouble-free before the additional burden.
You obviously don't travel to many "desirable" towns in the west. They've been loaded with homeless for years. Legal marijuana is nothing but an excuse to blame it on.

I live near Durango. The homeless problem in Durango has existed for well beyond a decade. It's no worse in Durango than in many other western towns. Unless you have some sort of proof of homeless flocking to Durango for marijuana (which they don't have the money to buy anyway, it's not cheap), your assertion is just speculation, nothing more.

By way of comparison, Albuquerque & Santa Fe are loaded with homeless and marijuana is not legal in New Mexico for recreational use. Did they flock there for marijuana as well?

In 2015, the University of Denver Strum School of Law performed a study on homelessness in Durango. An excerpt from the study declares:

"Durango is a town where the affordable housing is decreasing while the number of families living at or below
the poverty line is increasing.12 Julie Popp, spokeswoman for Durango School District 9-R explained, “[a]bout
36 percent of the students in the district are at or below the poverty level,” and in some schools, such as the
Animas Valley (Elementary School), the rate is higher than 50 percent.13 She also reported that numerous
families were living in motels.14
A leading factor influencing the increase of homelessness in Durango is the lack of low-income housing.
“More than 51 percent of the households in La Plata County meet the income requirements to qualify for a
Habitat house.”15 The lack of affordable housing in Durango contributes to a growing homeless population
that has no place to perform necessary life functions outside of the public eye such as sitting, sleeping, and
eating. Durango’s homeless residents must perform these acts in public and as such are forced to the streets
of Downtown Durango where they can be close to publicly offered services, such as free meals provided by
Manna Soup Kitchen."

Nowhere in the study, does marijuana appear as a cause for the increase in homelessness, not even once!

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 08-11-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
You obviously don't travel to many "desirable" towns in the west. They've been loaded with homeless for years. Legal marijuana is nothing but an excuse to blame it on.

I live there. The homeless problem in Durango has existed for well beyond a decade. It's no worse in Durango than in many other western towns. Unless you have some sort of proof of homeless flocking to Durango for marijuana (which they don't have the money to buy anyway, it's not cheap), your assertion is just misinformed speculation.

By way of comparison, Albuquerque & Santa Fe are loaded with homeless and marijuana is not legal in New Mexico for recreational use. Did they flock there for legal marijuana as well?

You cannot possibly know how many "desirable" towns I have visited or lived in in CO. Plus your definition of desirable most likely does not match mine. That is a very good thing.

Unless you have some sort of proof of bums (homeless and bum are not the same thing) NOT flocking to Durango for the pot, your assertions are a sign of denial.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-11-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,462,962 times
Quote:
You cannot possibly know how many "desirable" towns I have visited or lived in in CO. Plus your definition of desirable most likely does not match mine. That is a very good thing.

Unless you have some sort of proof of bums (homeless and bum are not the same thing) NOT flocking to Durango for the pot, your assertions are a sign of denial.
You need to prove your assertion. Youve made an assumption without data and said we need to accept it. No chance.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 5,818,716 times
Quote:
Just curious about others thoughts on marijuana legalization?
<>Good parts...
<>Bad parts-
<>
Good parts = none
Bad parts = everything
Up to and including Death of the Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or