U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM

5,278 posts, read 2,723,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You need to prove your assertion. Youve made an assumption without data and said we need to accept it. No chance.
I don't need for you to accept it, nor did I say so anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:08 PM

141 posts, read 106,670 times
I'm unhappy with recreational legalization.

I don't like the smell. With the legalization in LA on a recent trip there were four times when I was stuck in rush hour traffic where others were smoking weed in their cars, and I could smell it strongly in my car and couldn't get away from it. It bothers me more than cigarette smoke which I definitely don't like either.

Also, living in a state where this isn't legal (I live in a St. Louis, MO close in suburb) the legalization in Colorado has meant many young people I know make the assumption that smoking week has no ill effects and many I know who never or rarely smoked week before are now using it. I have a 21 year old who doesn't like to go to certain friend's houses now, as they have roommates who smoke weed a lot, and he isn't into that and doesn't like the smell. And he doesn't want to get pulled over, fail drug tests at work, or something like that due to being at places where others are smoking. Prior to the legalization in other states these 20 somethings didn't smoke weed. He has even skipped parties that good friend of his has had when he knows there will be a lot of weed smoking there and doesn't want to be around that. Now as a 57 year old, it doesn't have as big of an affect on me as it does my son.

Also two different young people my son knows (one I know really well too) say they have stressful jobs and need weed to relax. Both are trying to loose weight too, and smoking gives them the munchies (so they are sabotaging their efforts). What happened to exercising and listening to music or more healthy alternatives to help relieve stress? (I do see the argument that people should be able to make their own choices (good or bad) and that the government is not meant to be big brother and protect us from ourselves, etc.), but it does distress me to see these kids make what I think are poor choices. If the legalization in the US of weed for recreational purposes never occurred, I really and truly believe both of these kids would not be the regular users of this that they are today. Also for DS, friends who have been smoking a lot just aren't fun to hang around. Overdoing it impairs their ability to be interesting conversationalists and can mean baby sitting friends instead of having fun with them. DS has had to say, I'd love to hang out and you can do what you want on your own time, but if we have plans and you want to hang out, don't be smoking weed before seeing me or when seeing me. If you have to do that, let's not get together.

This might not sound like much and might sound pretty lame, but the Colorado legalization and decisions of others we know related to this has caused my non weed smoking family stress and concern.

Now for medical reasons, I am in favor of having this available.

Last edited by Kathy884; 08-12-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM

136 posts, read 65,452 times
It's excellent. Bottom line is that it create jobs, something that our country badly needs. Why do anything to hamper growth?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM

3,107 posts, read 861,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post

I don't like the smell. With the legalization in LA on a recent trip there were four times when I was stuck in rush hour traffic where others were smoking weed in their cars, and I could smell it strongly in my car and couldn't get away from it. It bothers me more than cigarette smoke which I definitely don't like either.

Also, living in a state where this isn't legal (I live in a St. Louis, MO close in suburb) the legalization in Colorado has meant many young people I know make the assumption that smoking week has no ill effects and many I know who never or rarely smoked week before are now using it. I have a 21 year old who doesn't like to go to certain friend's houses now, as they have roommates who smoke weed a lot, and he isn't into that and doesn't like the smell. And he doesn't want to get pulled over, fail drug tests at work, or something like that due to being at places where others are smoking. Prior to the legalization in other states these 20 somethings didn't smoke weed. He has even skipped parties that good friend of his has had when he knows there will be a lot of weed smoking there and doesn't want to be around that. Now as a 57 year old, it doesn't have as big of an affect on me as it does my son.

Also two different young people my son knows (one I know really well too) say they have stressful jobs and need weed to relax. Both are trying to loose weight too, and smoking gives them the munchies (so they are sabotaging their efforts). What happened to exercising and listening to music or more healthy alternatives to help relieve stress? (I do see the argument that people should be able to make their own choices (good or bad) and that the government is not meant to be big brother and protect us from ourselves, etc.), but it does distress me to see these kids make what I think are poor choices. If the legalization in the US of weed for recreational purposes never occurred, I really and truly believe both of these kids would not be the regular users of this that they are today. Also for DS, friends who have been smoking a lot just aren't fun to hang around. Overdoing it impairs their ability to be interesting conversationalists and can mean baby sitting friends instead of having fun with them. DS has had to say, I'd love to hang out and you can do what you want on your own time, but if we have plans and you want to hang out, don't be smoking weed before seeing me or when seeing me. If you have to do that, let's not get together.

This might not sound like much and might sound pretty lame, but the Colorado legalization and decisions of others we know related to this has caused my non weed smoking family stress and concern.

Hmmm. Alcohol has been legal their entire lives, but I don't see you saying they are using it?

My experience has been that anyone who wants to use marijuana can get it easily, regardless of legality. In fact, it is for sale in your neighborhood school right now. Black market alcohol is not. It is prohibition that has created this condition, not legalization.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 PM

218 posts, read 109,907 times
The problems we have I think, are those that abuse it and do it pretty much 24/7, especially those who don't work and just smoke weed. Others may do it let's say twice a week (Friday and Saturday evenings). Just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's okay to use all the time. I get so tired when people say because things are natural, it's fine to use whenever and liberally. Cocaine is natural but it's also extremely addictive and cause health problems or death. People need to give their livers a break if they drink, and their minds a break if they smoke weed. I don't think weed was ever meant to be smoked everyday or all the time unless there is a serious medical condition. I agree the same with alcohol unless it's just like an evening glass of wine or two with dinner. Anymore alcohol than that, only a couple days a week in a safe setting is my thought. From my understanding, marijuana is not as addictive as tranquilizers and other drugs prescribed. Yes, there is some withdraw from ceasing use, but not as bad as other substances. From my experience, I don't see marijuana and tobacco rehab clinics, as much as I see alcohol and other drug rehab center like for herion, meth, cocaine, and even tranquilizers. Unless the user has a history of a mental illness where weed reacts badly then things can go wrong with the use of weed.

Last edited by Educator1982; 08-12-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 07:28 PM

218 posts, read 109,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post

I agree with you. Now, weed is much stronger. The problem is that many are thinking it's safe and they do it all day, everyday, or abuse it too much, to the point where they are high 50% of the week or more. Until this country teaches responsibility, then we are going to have a hard time with every substance legalized. If weed would get legalized nationwide, it could be regulated so people know how much THC they are getting. It's almost like we are living in a time where let's say for example: Alcohol is been schedule 1 since 1937, so Colorado and several states have joined to allow it again. Now these people are getting ahold of homemade moonshine, drinking a pint within 2 hours, doing it day after day, and not expecting anything wrong to happen. That's what the problem is with marijuana, all the high strength blends, the extremely high strength edibles, and no thought for occasional use or responsibility.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
The problems we have I think, are those that abuse it and do it pretty much 24/7, especially those who don't work and just smoke weed. Others may do it let's say twice a week (Friday and Saturday evenings). Just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's okay to use all the time. I get so tired when people say because things are natural, it's fine to use whenever and liberally. Cocaine is natural but it's also extremely addictive and cause health problems or death. People need to give their livers a break if they drink, and their minds a break if they smoke weed. I don't think weed was ever meant to be smoked everyday or all the time unless there is a serious medical condition. I agree the same with alcohol unless it's just like an evening glass of wine or two with dinner. Anymore alcohol than that, only a couple days a week in a safe setting is my thought. From my understanding, marijuana is not as addictive as tranquilizers and other drugs prescribed. Yes, there is some withdraw from ceasing use, but not as bad as other substances. From my experience, I don't see marijuana and tobacco rehab clinics, as much as I see alcohol and other drug rehab center like for herion, meth, cocaine, and even tranquilizers. Unless the user has a history of a mental illness where weed reacts badly then things can go wrong with the use of weed.
Yes! It is also a problem when someone does work but is stoned at work, or while driving. Then it is less an individual liberty (which I support, for adults) than a burden or a danger to other people.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,095,573 times
It's going legal in at least three more states (all eastern) next year and I think it's great!

West coast is all green, and now the east coast is finally starting to follow!

To all the people who hate it, you can move to Oklahoma, Mississippi, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, or Louisiana as I've heard they won't legalize marijuana for at least 50 years.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
It's going legal in at least three more states (all eastern) next year and I think it's great!

West coast is all green, and now the east coast is finally starting to follow!

To all the people who hate it, you can move to Oklahoma, Mississippi, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, or Louisiana [/b]as I've heard they won't legalize marijuana for at least 50 years.
Yeah, right, that's going to make people you disagree with move out of states they chose for lots of other reasons, reasons more important than drugs.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM

362 posts, read 290,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
I agree with you. Now, weed is much stronger. The problem is that many are thinking it's safe and they do it all day, everyday, or abuse it too much, to the point where they are high 50% of the week or more. Until this country teaches responsibility, then we are going to have a hard time with every substance legalized. If weed would get legalized nationwide, it could be regulated so people know how much THC they are getting. It's almost like we are living in a time where let's say for example: Alcohol is been schedule 1 since 1937, so Colorado and several states have joined to allow it again. Now these people are getting ahold of homemade moonshine, drinking a pint within 2 hours, doing it day after day, and not expecting anything wrong to happen. That's what the problem is with marijuana, all the high strength blends, the extremely high strength edibles, and no thought for occasional use or responsibility.
Spirits tells you the % of alcohol in Liquor, Wine, & most beer so you know what expect. I have no problem if someone uses THC responsibly. The trouble for me is the Feds should move to regulate,& legalize as they do alcohol, cigarettes, etc but they won't. States that have legalized it are forced to do the best they can to create Laws etc...People are going to use it regardless in every state, stop the nonsense, took years to fix prohibition...history repeating itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or