U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM

21 posts, read 11,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Posting from Telluride now. No rain.

I have to say, your list of demands is getting more funny to me every time you post.

No rain, no crowds, no bees, dramatic mountains.... I hope you find paradise.

I've spent a bit of time in Northern Idaho kayaking the rivers. It's stunning. Lots of rattlesnakes though.
Only occasional rain, no crowds, with good skiing, hiking, and mountain biking nearby. Those are the primary requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
North Cascades, right in your home state!

Great summers
Uncrowded
Stunning peaks

Bugs...hmmmmmm...
The cascades are really awesome, no doubt. Best place to be in the summer, one of the worst in the winter. Sure we gets lots of snow, but we get tons of rain & fog with it that make good ski days few and far between.

Dramatic mountains may have to be scratched from my list. With big mountains comes big weather in both CO and WA. I'll have to change that requirement to mountains that are good enough to offer skiing and interesting hiking that only have moderate amounts of rain.

I have not been to Steamboat yet, from the pictures I've seen it looks more similar to the ID mountains than what Telluride has to offer. Could be a good fit. Still on my short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Posting from Telluride now. No rain.
You must have posted this in the morning. Hahaha

Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,618,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBUplander View Post
My wife hiked the PCT last summer and really loved Tahoe. She did encounter tons of bees through most of CA. She's allergic and carries epi pens but did not get stung. A yellow jacket did sting her on the CO trail this year, which was the first sting she's ever had after literally thousands of miles of hiking.

The San Fran crowds that invade Tahoe in winter and summer worry me a bit. The crowds are 1/2 the reason I'm leaving Seattle. I need to go visit.

We're going to road trip to ID next weekend. The mountains are not quite as dramatic as I'd like, but outside of skiing it has a lot to offer and the weather is quite good.
I found CO resort areas as crowded as Tahoe.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,515,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBUplander View Post
You must have posted this in the morning. Hahaha
Actually we've been lucky this week. A little afternoon cloud cover, but no rain. I'm in Ouray now catching up on email and looking at a clear sky of stars from a campground outside of town.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I found CO resort areas as crowded as Tahoe.
Resorts on the I-70 corridor yes, but places that are 3+ hours from Denver aren't bad.

Even over Christmas this past winter Telluride was awesome. There was only one really crowded day on my 7 day trip and frankly that was like a normal weekend here in Seattle ski areas.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,515,565 times
Have you looked into Salida? It's drier than most of Colorado, good mountain access, and down Monarch Pass from Monarch ski area. Great whitewater and biking community. Buena Vista is worth looking at as well. Check the South Main development there.

I don't think you've talked budget, but it would be considerably cheaper than a Telluride. It's not resort town living though if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 08-19-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM

59 posts, read 33,112 times
Quote:
Actually we've been lucky this week. A little afternoon cloud cover, but no rain. I'm in Ouray now catching up on email and looking at a clear sky of stars from a campground outside of town.
Yep, last week for the first time in weeks it didn't rain two days in a row here in Breck. Now we're back to afternoon showers. At least it was nice for the eclipse. Once again they are forecasting afternoon showers for the rest of the week. I've given up. I'm going to Boulder this week to see my daughter and it's SUPPOSED to be sunny there and in less than 2 weeks I'm leaving to find sun, hopefully in Montana or Wyoming. When I get back to Colorado I'm hoping for white, not wet.

I think you're solution is to stay in the Northwest for the summer and come here for the winter.

Quote:
Have you looked into Salida? It's drier than most of Colorado, good mountain access, and down Monarch Pass from Monarch ski area. Great whitewater and biking community. Buena Vista is worth looking at as well. Check the South Main development there.

I don't think you've talked budget, but it would be considerably cheaper than a Telluride. It's not resort town living though if that's what you are looking for.
I've gone to Buena Vista several times this summer to go rafting. Nice place. I like the town and area and it's right near the Collegiate Peaks but they get rain too. If you are looking for dry SUMMER weather stay in the northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or