U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,899,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
thanks all! I am not sure why but i never trust those consumer reports. i feel like there is a conspiracy or its rigged to promote business.

seems my mind is being made up! I might end up getting a wrangler. Seems a few people have 2007+ with no issues, or more like not much issues. Ive heard the 2018 will be more solid and improved but whos to know with something so new
If your objective is to go off road and climb rocky trails, get a Wrangler. Also, learn how to maintain it. If I was a young person, I'd get one too. Look at this trip with a Wrangler over Black Bear Pass (Ouray to Telluride)

Listen to the audio, Elsie is a real hoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7Nkl0pkJk&t=362s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM

2,254 posts, read 4,506,023 times
I had a 2000 Cherokee and 2000 Grand Cherokee. Both were great cars. Just sold the GC and it had almost 200K. I'd definitely buy another one. Bought a Range Rover and now I appreciate my old Jeep even more haha.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
BTW I'm 65 and my Wrangler is fun. Now if I had to take a cross country trip, I would rent a car, but for getting around in snow and the back roads, this is great. A buddy of mine is 82 and just bought a Rubicon, is having a blast.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey all.... so I decided to ask in CO forum, since i see a bunch of jeeps in CO everytime i go to work, the trails, eat, etc!

So all you jeep users, was wondering if you guys have had any major issues with cherokees or wrnaglers?

I am really eyeing the jeep compass.

I am looking to buy used, so my budget is about 50 - 100k miles. any high mileage jeep owners have stories to tell? Do they break down every 3 months or so? or are they pretty solid and reliable? example like, 200k miles on a jeep and not much has happened to it. stock engine and tranny etc

I dont mind little repairs here and there (brakes sensonsor, leak repairs, lines etc. What worries me is if they break down every 3 - 6 months. check engine light comes on every other month, engine blows often, tranny gives out etc
Jeep Compass is a unibody crossover. That's not a real Jeep in my opinion and certainly not what I would want for real off road driving. Get a Wrangler if you want a Jeep.

If you want reliable, get a 4Runner. Ladder frame construction, best resale value out there, and tough as nails. I just turned 175,000 miles on my 2004 4Runner (bought in 06 with 35K miles for $25K) and it's never had anything major go wrong. The truck could blow up tomorrow and I wouldn't think it owed me a penny.

I have become such a fan of Toyota after owning that truck that I upgraded to a Land Cruiser for towing, but kept the 4Runner too.

Jeep Unibody and Ladder Frames, What's the Difference? | Morris 4x4 Center Blog

Why Body On-Frame Off-Road Vehicles Matter | DrivingLine

Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM

16,861 posts, read 8,665,100 times
I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport. It is fairly stock with only a few mods, but I had it in Colorado for several years, and it did great off road. It now has 230K miles with only normal maintenance, and a few replacement parts that just wore out. I used it for both a daily driver, and weekend getaway vehicle. It is now a 2nd car, and I'm getting ready to do a lift kit, and some other things to it.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:41 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times
WARNING....while off topic, I believe it's a significant enough issue for me to post. I like many others on here have brand new Jeep Wranglers, Cherokee's​. The U. Connect entertainment, navigation systems are vulnerable to hackers who either use laptops with malicious software or portable frequency jammers . They are also using several tools that replicate your keyless fob's unique signal to enter your vehicle after they have tracked you using your vehicle's navigation system..Here are some clues: XM Radio either goes completely off or tuner stays on or stays on one channel, AC comes on full blast for no apparent reason, your vehicle's breaking system is interrupted while driving..There are some excellent articles out there online. Many of these hackers will either park in front of your house, some using non description looking Vans and service vehicle's.. happened to me but was educated on this. just before they could steal mine..and I have captured some of these scum bags in action through the use of drone footage..Sorry about the awful gramner,fragmented sentences but just felt I needed to post this as theft of these vehicles in Denver is out of control. Don't have time to go into technical details, but beware that criminal hackers,cartels and gangs are extremely active right now along the front range..Anyway about fifteen years ago I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a five dollar radio and120k miles, took the roughest highest MT. terrain ,daily city driving with little to no repairs or expense.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-17-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 08:18 AM

21,011 posts, read 11,633,974 times
I have a 2014 Compass. As noted above, it's not really an off road vehicle. But that's ok because I didn't buy it for that. I wanted 4x4 and it was the perfect size for me, I liked the way it looked and it was a good price for the features I got in it. It's not high mileage since I don't put on a lot of miles but 3 years in and I've never needed any repairs. I do get better mileage than a "real" Jeep, although the gas tank is on the small side so if you drive a lot, be aware you'll need to fill up fairly often.

If you plan to use it off road, definitely look at the Wrangler instead - supposedly the 2017 Compass has better off road capability but that wouldn't apply if you are buying used.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 PM

59 posts, read 32,966 times
I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that I've owned since new. Aside from the usual maintenance and upkeep it's never given me any trouble in the 12 years I've owned it.
easy to work on and maintain. I do most of the work myself. I've taken it rock crawling and through all sorts of weather. It's awesome! Last year I put 15,000 miles on it in 5 months and drove it from the east coast to California and throughout the southwest and slept in it as well as camped out. I did have to fix the rear axle seal but other than that it ran great.

Now I'm in Colorado and except for the fact that it gets lousy gas mileage, it's the perfect vehicle to have here. It will get me through the snow and bad weather and to any trail head I desire.

To be honest, if you aren't going to get a Wrangler and are looking for a sport ute or SUV then there are better options than a Jeep Compass, which really isn't a Jeep. There's only one Jeep and it's name is Wrangler.
Attached Thumbnails
cherokee, grand cherokee, wranglers in CO?-winter-feb-2010-119.jpg   cherokee, grand cherokee, wranglers in CO?-20708482_692622190932670_3013343925497479835_n.jpg  

Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
I have a 2007 Wrangler and haven't had any major problems with it. One of the seals on the front axle is currently leaking, but it's a 10 year-old vehicle at this point and it routinely goes off road, not to mention that it's modified. I've owned other Jeeps in the past and even though they receive poor ratings from Consumer Reports, mine have been fine. I just make sure I follow the suggested maintenance schedule.

My partner has a 2015 Grand Cherokee and everything has been fine with it as well. Same story; he follows the recommended maintenance schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado