U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM

838 posts, read 523,837 times

Advertisements

Hey all.... so I decided to ask in CO forum, since i see a bunch of jeeps in CO everytime i go to work, the trails, eat, etc!

So all you jeep users, was wondering if you guys have had any major issues with cherokees or wrnaglers?

I am really eyeing the jeep compass.

I am looking to buy used, so my budget is about 50 - 100k miles. any high mileage jeep owners have stories to tell? Do they break down every 3 months or so? or are they pretty solid and reliable? example like, 200k miles on a jeep and not much has happened to it. stock engine and tranny etc

I dont mind little repairs here and there (brakes sensonsor, leak repairs, lines etc. What worries me is if they break down every 3 - 6 months. check engine light comes on every other month, engine blows often, tranny gives out etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM

573 posts, read 284,270 times
It is a Fiat/Chrysler product so you have to take a chance!

And no, Jeep is really not any different.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
I had a 95 Cherokee that started to become a money pit around 75k and a 03 Liberty that made it to 120k but I should have sold it at 100k, both were fine but the repairs became consistent around 65k. My husband still has a 98 wrangler with 180k on it, we have a great mechanic that babies it when needed but for the most part it's a solid vehicle that most years gets a couple oil changes and some general maintenance. My current car is an Outback, handles far better than my jeeps ever did and can hold more stuff too.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,081,073 times
How old is an used jeep to you? Depending on its age, it could be an Willys product, AMC product, Renault product, Chrysler product, Daimler Chrysler product, Chrysler Cerbus product, or Fiat Chrysler product. A Compass would fall under that last two.

Jeep quality isn't stellar, but may be livable. The more electronics in them, the more there is to go wrong, and given that many see them as rugged, outdoorsy vehicles, they tend to be abused hard at worst, or casually neglected more often. Its nto often you run across one that has been babied.

I've had early examples from Willys Overland models to later Chrysler models. They were very dependable and durable, but I suspect that age of ride is outside the era of what you are looking for. I've had a couple of mid-late 90s Grand Cherokees. I picked them up as abused orphans with 200k+ miles on them and refurbed them into daily drivers. They did this okay along with some mild off road capability. Jeep electronics are not very user friendly compared to GM or Ford as you can't get into them for changes, updates, or modifications and eventually something in the daisy chain of items fails. This seems to lead to certain features not working as intended over time.

If you are a soft roader, ie only used for urban snow, ice, and muddy dirt roads to trailheads, they are no better or worse than many other late model 4x4s. Ground clearance in most models is decent compared to many other crossover types of vehicles.

There is a very strong aftermarket for them, especially Wranglers, so if you are looking for something of a toy beyond daily commuting, this is where they begin to shine and can really stand out above other vehicles. Hard part upgrades and hard core wheeling is more of what their reputation is built on than simple daily driver qualities, although new versions aren't too shabby in that regard. Personally, if I was going down this route again, I'd buy a first generation Bronco before getting another Jeep. In stock form, my Bronco could out wheel my CJ5 anyday.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
We live in Buena Vista part of the year. Several years ago we bought a 1998 Jeep Wrangler with 80,000 miles on it. It has been GREAT for all of our off-roading in the mountains, which is basically what we use it for. No problems at all. We don't really like to go far on the highway, but did drive it down to Denver when our regular car was in for repairs. Handled really well, only a little sluggish on the uphill mountain climbs.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
I have a Jeep Cherokee, 1994-5 speed.

The most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. 344.000 plus miles on it. Still pulls the passes fine, thank you! Solid compression, just put in new clutch a couple months ago. If I don't keel over first I'm going to give it to my neighbor who has been helping me with some volunteer work in our humble neighborhood. I'll buy another one!!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:19 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
I had an '87, last year AMC owned Jeep. Loved it. Straight six with 5-speed manual. Used to load 500 pounds of books in it and take it over the PA Turnpike where it'd go up the mountains in overdrive and hardly be breathing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:28 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,915 times
Look in Consuners Reports and other car reviewers online. Jeeps are always rated near the bottom in terms of reliability.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 PM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
There are numerous Jeep forums on the interweb, might check them too. I have a 2008 Wrangler, it just goes. I've tried to get stuck and I can't. Never a problem with it, and it's just darn fun to drive.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 PM

838 posts, read 523,837 times
thanks all! I am not sure why but i never trust those consumer reports. i feel like there is a conspiracy or its rigged to promote business.

seems my mind is being made up! I might end up getting a wrangler. Seems a few people have 2007+ with no issues, or more like not much issues. Ive heard the 2018 will be more solid and improved but whos to know with something so new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado