U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best Colorado Winter City for my preferences?
Denver 2 12.50%
Fraser/Winter Park 5 31.25%
Glenwood Springs 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 PM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times

Advertisements

Ouray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ouray!
Ouray would meet the OPs desires, except it's about an even 100 miles from the Amtrak line in Grand Junction.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
C'mon all you jokesters! The OP asked about three cities, not for recommendations for other cities. Furthermore, he's on a train route.

Denver is fairly unlikely to have snow, as is probably Glenwood. However, Denver has non-ski oriented activities, and it may have snow at least on the ground. I'd go with Denver simply because there are lots of activities. I do like Glenwood, but it's pretty much a small town/tourist town combo. The hot springs are nice, though. If snow is the deal-breaker, then Fraser/Winter Park.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM

176 posts, read 88,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
C'mon all you jokesters! The OP asked about three cities, not for recommendations for other cities. Furthermore, he's on a train route.

Denver is fairly unlikely to have snow, as is probably Glenwood. However, Denver has non-ski oriented activities, and it may have snow at least on the ground. I'd go with Denver simply because there are lots of activities. I do like Glenwood, but it's pretty much a small town/tourist town combo. The hot springs are nice, though. If snow is the deal-breaker, then Fraser/Winter Park.
Yeah, all of those other cities sound great but I will be on a train route so they will not be possible this trip. It is actually a 15 day trip across the country and back with 9 nights on the train and 6 off (2 in Colorado), so I would prefer to take advantage off my time off the train by staying near the station. If a city is within about an hour by public transit from the station, I would consider it however. If I was not clear, I would be very happy with even an inch of snow on the ground. Is even that much uncommon in Glenwood Springs? Also, is there anything in Glenwood Springs that is not in either of the other two? What I am also considering is spending one day in Denver and one in Fraser/Winter Park, so that I get one day with plenty of city activities and another with guaranteed snow. Does that sound like a good possibility? The train runs every 24 hours and I am continuing west so I would have 24 hours in both (or 48 if I just decide to stop in one city).

Old 08-19-2017, 12:27 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
IMO you'll find a lot more to see and do, within a brief walk or uber ride, in Glenwood Springs (GS). But either is fine. Do some google drive-by viewing of these towns. In GS, note the Hotel Colorado and hot springs. The train ride from Denver to these towns goes through remote areas not accessible by car; the scenery is awesome. IIRC there are about 20 tunnels on the line which makes this route a favorite of railfans.

See if this link works to youtube on the train trip:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ter+park%2C+co
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO you'll find a lot more to see and do, within a brief walk or uber ride, in Glenwood Springs (GS). But either is fine. Do some google drive-by viewing of these towns. In GS, note the Hotel Colorado and hot springs. The train ride from Denver to these towns goes through remote areas not accessible by car; the scenery is awesome.

See if this link works to youtube on the train trip:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ter+park%2C+co
The train ride looks great; out of all of the trains I have planned this is probably the one I am looking the most forward to. That is actually the main reason I am hesitant to not stop in Denver; prior to reaching Colorado I will have been on the train 3 nights so I am worried I will be so exhausted I will not enjoy the trip through the Rockies. Glenwood Springs does look very nice as well; right now I am leaning towards either splitting the time between Denver and Fraser/Winter Park or going to Glenwood Springs. The hardest part about the choice is the uncertainty as to whether there will be snow in Denver and Glenwood Springs; I know it may be common to those who live in Colorado but I currently live in an area where it never snows so it is a novelty.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
I say go on through to GS. You can rest and repair in the hot springs there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Here are some Christmas stats for Denver.
https://www.weather.gov/bou/denver_xmassnowstats

Here's what I found for Glenwood. It actually gets less snow than Denver. (Denver gets about 60" on average, but it varies widely.)
Climate Glenwood Springs - Colorado and Weather averages Glenwood Springs

Old 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
Kat is right. I live on the western slope and go to the Denver area for Christmas to visit relatives every year. Though Glenwood's elevation is 500 ft. or so higher than Denver, there's been a time or two where there hasn't been much snow on the ground, heh, except going through the canyon of course.

There are a number of small mom and pop motels just off I-70 on the west end of town and though I only live 90 miles away, I've stayed the night there several times. Love them hot springs!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Kat is right. I live on the western slope and go to the Denver area for Christmas to visit relatives every year. Though Glenwood's elevation is 500 ft. or so higher than Denver, there's been a time or two where there hasn't been much snow on the ground, heh, except going through the canyon of course.

There are a number of small mom and pop motels just off I-70 on the west end of town and though I only live 90 miles away, I've stayed the night there several times. Love them hot springs!
How many times have you done the trip? If there wasn't snow 1 or 2 times out of 10, I think it would be worth the risk. Based on the link with Glenwood Springs' average temperatures, I would expect more snow on the ground than Denver since the temperatures are colder. Also, it looks there is a tram that goes up over 7,000 feet in elevation, so is it more likely there will be snow there?
It does seem there are a lot of benefits to Glenwood Springs, so if there is around a 75% chance or more of some snow I will probably go there. I am now hoping to stay for a third day so maybe I'll spend one night in Denver and two in Glenwood Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or