U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM

4,618 posts, read 1,307,844 times

Advertisements

I would recommend giving Colorado a shot. Western living is, in my opinion, a much better quality of life overall than the east. Weather wise, Colorado is hard to beat, with the entire year mostly enjoyable and pleasant really. With the generally arid environment, low humidity and plentiful sun, it can't be beat.

Culturally, it is much different from most of the east as well. The western live and let live attitude and the abundance of newcomers means the social connections and general niceties of places like Kentucky aren't really here. Generally, Colorado is an outdoorsy, fit, well educated and low poverty state with a good economy. There is, generally speaking, very little racial strife or ingrained poverty that you will find in other places.

The problem is that most of the mountain towns that are doing well are tourist traps and the other mountain towns suffer from remote places anywhere-a lack of jobs or a sustainable economy in general. Look at some of the areas mentioned by posters here and also consider larger towns and small cities along the Front Range area such as Fort Collins, Longmont, etc to get a start. You'll find many more opportunities for different types of housing and jobs, get to know the state and then work on the move to the mountain town of your dreams.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,315,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My wife and I actually have been to Berea, KY and honestly can recommend it as a cool place. It's between the small city of Lexington, KY and the Daniel Boone National Forest. Lexington is known for beautiful horses and fast women, or is it fast horses....oh well, and the area is also WELL KNOWN for Bourbon)

I've been to Berea, OH, and it's a cool place too, near Cleveland and Lake Erie, but that's a different story for a different forum....
I was born in Lexington, KY where the women are indeed fast and the horses are beautiful - and they live on beautiful farms of bluegrass that grows without water sprinklers (I was so impressed by this as a child when I'd visit from Colorado). The living on beautiful farms thing goes for both Kentucky horses and Kentucky women who are true Southern Belle's with the hearts of CowGirls. You should see my cute little second cousin's girl's barrell racing ribbons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Poor guy comes here Colorado Dreamin' and we redirect him to Kentucky.

Lord help us.
Indeed. So many come here describing a place they want to live that does not exist here in Colorado. Going by OP's original criteria, I'd still stick with my original suggestion of Maine or perhaps Vermont or New Hampshire. If forced to suggest only places that I have personal experience experience with, I'd go with Berea.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 AM

276 posts, read 606,317 times
Try researching Beulah. You can work in Pueblo, which is hardly a small, country town. But in the evening you can be in Beulah which is. You shouldn't have trouble getting employed in the medical field in Pueblo.

Beulah has proximity to a state park and other outdoor actives. It's a pretty small community with only a restaurant and a small cafe (both of which are awesome).

Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 AM

85 posts, read 156,284 times
Maybe Eastern Park County - Bailey, perhaps? That's about an hour to Denver, which would be a reasonable commute for someone in the medical field, or Teller County - Florissant might fit the bill, and is about 45 minutes from CO Springs. Also, either one of those would be just a little over an hour to Breckenridge for the snow sports.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:49 AM

77,782 posts, read 69,671,626 times
OP, IMO your ideal Colorado town is Taos, NM. Check it out. Well, it's not near a job center for yourself, but there's a hospital there, for your gf. Also, I don't know why Glenwood Springs wouldn't work, or Carbondale, which is smaller, and an easy drive to G. Springs, where there's a hospital and clinics. It's also an easy drive to Aspen, which has more medical centers, without being too close, meaning it's not affected by the tourist swarms. Good ski country.

A friend of mine, who's an alternative energy systems engineer, lives in Carbondale, and works remotely for an enviro org with offices in Basalt and Boulder CO (Rocky Mountain Institute), as well as China. There's a non-profit in Carbondale that teaches alternative energy systems installation to people who come in from around the world. (Solar Energy International) My friend helped Cuba get their solar energy utility up and running, and goes there every couple of years, for their international solar energy conference. You never know where enviro orgs may turn up, in CO. Even in small towns, they can be found. Rocky Mountain Institute is an award-winning, cutting-edge research org, and advises businesses and governments around the world in sustainable practices, environmentally sound and economically beneficial building design, and related matters.
https://www.solarenergy.org/
https://www.rmi.org/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2017 at 03:13 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,098,061 times
Florence , Co about 4000 people 30 mins to Pueblo, Co it is described as Quaint turn of the Century shaded tree lined street town . Employment in Pueblo would be limited . The Pop in Pueblo is about 110 K.
Vestas Wind Systems has constructed the largest (nearly 700,000 square feet) wind turbine tower manufacturing plant in the world at Pueblo's industrial park.

Renewable Energy Systems Americas broke ground on the Comanche Solar project seven miles south of Pueblo in 2015.[35] When complete, it will be the largest solar energy farm east of the Rocky Mountains, and its backers say the project will produce electricity more cheaply than natural gas.[35] The project will cover 1,000 acres with 500,000 solar panels, providing a capacity of 156 megawatts of power — enough to supply 31,000 homes.[35] The project will be run by SunEdison, with a power purchase agreement signed by Xcel Energy.[35] A number of scientific studies now list Pueblo as the state's primary locale for solar energy development and the premier setting for solar companies to locate, placing it ahead of regional rivals such as Boulder, Colorado and Taos, New Mexico.[36]

In February 2017, Pueblo City Council voted to commit the city to 100% renewable energy by the year 2035.[37]

a positive future envisioned for Pueblo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado