U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times

Advertisements

a sad story indeed . I once took a friend to Loveland pass and she became dizzy . We drove back down the hwy . We were only there for a few mins . it was just a test to see if she could handle it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 13,810 times
It's good to know this type of information. So many people moving here from various states that are not aware of how serious altitude sickness is and just how much it can affect you. So sad to hear about this young woman.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,576,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
a sad story indeed . I once took a friend to Loveland pass and she became dizzy . We drove back down the hwy . We were only there for a few mins . it was just a test to see if she could handle it .
Being dizzy at altitude doesn't mean you will get altitude sickness. I was often lightheaded at 11-12,000 ft my first few years in Colorado. This is no longer a problem for me.
Also, hiking 14ers, I frequently get a touch of nausea at around 11-12,000 ft but if I keep hiking eventually it wears off. I also routinely get headaches when coming down from altitude. Those are even more consistent for me than nausea when going up. This is NOT altitude sickness.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Being dizzy at altitude doesn't mean you will get altitude sickness. I was often lightheaded at 11-12,000 ft my first few years in Colorado. This is no longer a problem for me.
Also, hiking 14ers, I frequently get a touch of nausea at around 11-12,000 ft but if I keep hiking eventually it wears off. I also routinely get headaches when coming down from altitude. Those are even more consistent for me than nausea when going up. This is NOT altitude sickness.
Actually, you have Altitude Sickness. From my link:
"Altitude sickness has three forms. Mild altitude sickness is called acute mountain sickness (AMS) and is quite similar to a hangover - it causes headache, nausea, and fatigue. This is very common: some people are only slightly affected, others feel awful. However, if you have AMS, you should take this as a warning sign that you are at risk of the serious forms of altitude sickness: HAPE and HACE*. Both HAPE and HACE can be fatal within hours."

Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,488,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I agree with Katarina,
You probably are getting altitude sickness. For some reason you are able to walk through it but you should be careful because one time you may not.
Altitude Sickness-Topic Overview

"What are the symptoms?

The symptoms of altitude sickness include:

A headache, which is usually throbbing. It gets worse during the night and when you wake up.
Not feeling like eating.
Feeling sick to your stomach. You may vomit.
Feeling weak and tired. In severe cases, you do not have the energy to eat, dress yourself, or do anything.
Waking up during the night and not sleeping well.
Feeling dizzy.
Your symptoms may be mild to severe. They may not start until a day after you have been at a high altitude. Many people say altitude sickness feels like having a hangover.

Altitude sickness can affect your lungs and brain. When this happens, symptoms include being confused, not being able to walk straight (ataxia), feeling faint, and having blue or gray lips or fingernails. When you breathe, you may hear a sound like a paper bag being crumpled. These symptoms mean the condition is severe. It may be deadly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado