U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 AM

3,453 posts, read 1,695,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You can't really judge CO on welcoming-ness anymore. There are so many transplants in most places that you don't know what attitude comes from where.
True! I moved here a few years ago from the Baltimore area and I find the people here to be more friendly, but in my newish suburb, more than 50% of my neighbors moved here from a different state without knowing anyone in the area, and are eager to reach out. Every neighborhood will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmt52 View Post
Hi there-
...Often it's too hot or buggy to be outside, the outdoor recreation is challenging because we are surrounded by big cities (we live in between Ft Lauderdale and Miami), it's super fast-paced and busy, and focus appears to be on material/lavish lifestyle. What I miss most about the Mid-West is the kindness and welcoming attitudes of people - and I have been displeased and un-pleasantly surprised by the attitude we have found in SoFlo - I've found the attitudes here to be self-centered, defensive, and extremely unwelcoming.
IMO there is a lot less emphasis on material things here than on the east coast. I haven't met anyone who cares about clothing brands, unless it's athletic wear, maybe. People tend not to dress up much and seem to be pretty laid back in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:31 AM

16,704 posts, read 8,615,886 times
I moved from suburban Philadelphia, PA to suburban Denver, CO due to a job transfer/promotion. I found the transition very easy, and loved living in CO. My then wife on the other hand cried when we first got there as she missed home, friends, and family. In about a month that did a 180, and she loved it also, as she met neighbors, made friends, then got a job.

We found people friendly, and helpful. The mountains became a major draw as I have a Jeep Wrangler so we spent most weekends off roading, and exploring the extensive trails. It is beautiful. In the winter we went skiing. The beauty of CO, and the wonderful earth tones of the scenery easily replaced the "green" of the East. In fact I now think the East is TOO GREEN!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 AM

86,867 posts, read 102,236,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I moved from suburban Philadelphia, PA to suburban Denver, CO due to a job transfer/promotion. I found the transition very easy, and loved living in CO. My then wife on the other hand cried when we first got there as she missed home, friends, and family. In about a month that did a 180, and she loved it also, as she met neighbors, made friends, then got a job.

We found people friendly, and helpful. The mountains became a major draw as I have a Jeep Wrangler so we spent most weekends off roading, and exploring the extensive trails. It is beautiful. In the winter we went skiing. The beauty of CO, and the wonderful earth tones of the scenery easily replaced the "green" of the East. In fact I now think the East is TOO GREEN!
We moved here from central Illinois "Big Ag" country surrounded by acres and acres of corn and soybean fields. Originally from suburban Pittsburgh. DH is originally from Omaha, NE, right in the city; a city boy from Nebraska.

I will never think any place is too green; the tradeoff is the humidity which I can do without. Love the milder winters, too.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,582,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We moved here from central Illinois "Big Ag" country surrounded by acres and acres of corn and soybean fields. Originally from suburban Pittsburgh. DH is originally from Omaha, NE, right in the city; a city boy from Nebraska.

I will never think any place is too green; the tradeoff is the humidity which I can do without. Love the milder winters, too.
The "milder" winters are actually in Charolette, North Carolina. Lived there for a year and when they get 2 inches of snow, the entire city seems to shut down. Colorado gets snowstorms and billizards, Charlotte doesn't.

But, compared to some other States/cities, the Front Range/Eastern Slope can have some mild winters That is until a "wrap-around" blizzard hits or a high daytime winter temp is -10 degrees. Been there for that to!

But, wife and I STILL love Colorado!!

Old 08-31-2017, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 16,607 times
Wow, thanks everyone for your thoughts. It's new for us that we are choosing the place we move to next (as our last move was because we needed jobs) so it's giving me a lot to think about. Clearly we are at the very beginning of our search..

A few things you have asked:

- I work in healthcare (I prefer a larger health system, which is usually associated with a city), and my partner is a biologist (requiring natural areas) - hence our challenges finding places that fit our needs/preferences.

- We would love to live just outside of a city in a smaller/medium sized city or large town. Loveland, Aurora and Lakewood were places we had done some googling about.

- Regarding COL... while we definitely don't want to live in the most expensive place (I once visited Aspen and Snowmass... WOW) I have a hard time commenting on this because I see it as relative to the city you live in... in MI, I lived just outside of a medium-sized city and I paid $800.00/month for a 2/2. In a suburb of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, I have a commute (60-90 minutes) and I pay $1500/month for a 1/1... this is just the norm down here. Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,315,172 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks everyone for your thoughts. It's new for us that we are choosing the place we move to next (as our last move was because we needed jobs) so it's giving me a lot to think about. Clearly we are at the very beginning of our search..

- I work in healthcare (I prefer a larger health system, which is usually associated with a city), and my partner is a biologist (requiring natural areas) - hence our challenges finding places that fit our needs/preferences.

- We would love to live just outside of a city in a smaller/medium sized city or large town. Loveland, Aurora and Lakewood were places we had done some googling about.

- Regarding COL... while we definitely don't want to live in the most expensive place (I once visited Aspen and Snowmass... WOW) I have a hard time commenting on this because I see it as relative to the city you live in... in MI, I lived just outside of a medium-sized city and I paid $800.00/month for a 2/2. In a suburb of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, I have a commute (60-90 minutes) and I pay $1500/month for a 1/1... this is just the norm down here. Thoughts?
We live in Loveland and have enjoyed it. There are fairly large hospitals in the Fort Collins/Loveland area, which I think would work for you. One is never far from nature here, either, with national forests, RMNP, wilderness areas as well as county and local open spaces.

For rentals, you are probably looking at $1000 for a 1 br, although I'm not as familiar with rentals these days. If you're looking to settle here, it would be advisable to try to buy asap, as the area has shown to be a great market for property appreciation.

For general COL, I guess it depends on your lifestyle, but we don't find it all that expensive here generally for our lifestyle. We have a tremendous salvage grocery in the area called Esh's Market, which I find to be a huge plus for our area. With the generally mild weather, utilities remain very low for us, particularly because we rarely need to use the air conditioner (find a place with a house or attic fan). Because of the lack of natural moisture, if you're gardeners or want a lawn, you will need to make sure you have an irrigation system or be prepared to hand water, which can be a bit more expensive in water costs compared to say Florida.

You might also take a look at Longmont.

Last edited by EastwardBound; 08-31-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 AM

86,867 posts, read 102,236,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The "milder" winters are actually in Charolette, North Carolina. Lived there for a year and when they get 2 inches of snow, the entire city seems to shut down. Colorado gets snowstorms and billizards, Charlotte doesn't.

But, compared to some other States/cities, the Front Range/Eastern Slope can have some mild winters That is until a "wrap-around" blizzard hits or a high daytime winter temp is -10 degrees. Been there for that to!

But, wife and I STILL love Colorado!!
The winters here are significantly milder than those in Champaign, IL and Omaha, and a bit milder than in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is more up and down like here, but it doesn't get *as* warm during mild spells, nor does it usually get *as* cold there. Blizzards here are few and far between, and they're different than in IL. Pittsburgh rarely gets a blizzard.

Quote:

For you, I think Denver would probably be the best in Colorado. (I am a retired HCW myself.) The teaching hospitals are there and in Aurora just over the line from Denver. I think St. Anthony's in Lakewood is also a teaching hospital. Loveland, no. Community hospital level. You can work in Denver and live outside of it, but it will be in a suburb, which Aurora and Lakewood both are, rather than an independent town. I mean, they have independent governments and such, but they're also suburban Denver. Most of us on this forum recommend keeping the commute to a minimum d/t the winter driving conditions. I can't speak to biology jobs.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,582,805 times
To the OP.......does your meaning of "partner" mean that you're a gay couple? If so, then, to be truthful, Denver metro would probably be more for you. Nothing against a gay couple, but some areas accept gays more than others. That's just fact.

In the Loveland forum, I've never read a Thread or reply asking about gays there.

But, where you and your partner want to live, is entirely up to you two.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:00 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,315,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To the OP.......does your meaning of "partner" mean that you're a gay couple? If so, then, to be truthful, Denver metro would probably be more for you. Nothing against a gay couple, but some areas accept gays more than others. That's just fact.

In the Loveland forum, I've never read a Thread or reply asking about gays there.

But, where you and your partner want to live, is entirely up to you two.
I was wondering, too, and I think good insight on your part.

We are a gay couple in Loveland and have had zero problems. Truth be told I don't think people anywhere really give a hoot, and in the west in particular, with the 'mind your own business' mind set, we've found that even in small towns, no body really cares. I think Denver would probably offer more gay-oriented activities such as bars and whatnot, but for acceptance and a good quality of life, I don't see smaller cities and towns in CO as an issue.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 PM

6,518 posts, read 10,182,174 times
I'm a 2-time transplant to Colorado. Moved here from Wisconsin as a kid, left shortly after college, and moved back here in 2011 after 12 long, increasingly-miserable years in purgatory (Dallas-Fort Worth).

As others have said, the climate here is dry, so water activities are limited and it's not lush and green here.

Because employment is a factor you'll likely end up somewhere along the Front Range corridor between Fort Collins and Pueblo.

None of the major cities along the Front Range are in the mountains. They're on the western edge of the Eastern Plains. Colorado Springs is the closest to the mountains.

I live in Aurora. It's a big city (360k). I like it here. I have some of the best mountain views of any place in Denver. It has its good areas and its bad areas (the former is larger than the latter). That being said, you're gonna run into a lot of people who s**t-talk Aurora (even though I guarantee you 95% of them have never lived here). I can't help but think a good portion of the "Aurora sucks" chatter is racially-tinged because it's easily the most diverse suburb of the Denver Metro Area. FWIW, the craptacular areas of Denver proper are just as bad as, if not worse than, anything in Aurora.

My commute to the mountains is maybe 30 minutes longer than someone living in the western burbs, but it doesn't bother me. I try to get up there 2-3 times a month to go hiking or snowshoeing.

You'll be happy to know Colorado has a tendency of chewing up and spitting out self-important, rat-race obsessed Type A individuals who refuse to remove the sticks from their rear ends and live a little. People aren't married to their jobs here, and most folks I know aren't impressed by how important other people seem to think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or