U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:56 AM

20,848 posts, read 39,075,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Regardless where they moved from, I agree with this statement! So-called progressives are some of the most judgmental, narrow-minded people I have ever encountered. If someone does not follow their beliefs, that person is dismissed as being inferior, "not one of us," or whatever tired old label they can slap on to rationalize devaluing their opinions.

I conside that just another form of clique, but one parading as politically correct. Hypocrites.
Yes, and I've seen tons of equally hypocritical, rigid-minded people who call themselves conservatives. IMO the correct word for millions of those people is 'reactionary' not conservative. The "not one of us" attitude describes huge amounts of behavior in all those quaint rural Mayberry towns where everyone knows everyone's business and judges the hell out of each other while any outsiders might as well be invading commie pinko child killers. This whole conversation is silly and I feel silly having to have this level of discussion with an adult. It's a huge world out there, different strokes for different folks, yet we're still in this us versus them bifurcation that stems directly from the divide and conquer style of politics practiced across our nation where the 'other' is demonized and only 'our' way of thinking is allowed here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 12:50 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,598,172 times
One thing I absolutely WON'T do is bad-mouth small towns no matter what anybody says. It's just a fact that some people don't "fit in" to certain areas like others do. The only time I really "fit in", while living in So Calif., was when I was paricipating in a pro rodeo, at a horse aution or at a jackpot roping arena ( like in Norco or Riverside).

I also know we don't "fit in" here.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:53 PM

20,848 posts, read 39,075,211 times
My wife and I don't "fit" in anywhere: No kids, No pets, No religion, No drugs, No smoking, No weed, No fancy cars, No boats, No planes, No STDs, No second homes, No golf, No poker, No smart phones, No fantasy sports leagues, No barstools or pews with our names on them, etc. We're happy anywhere we are as it's not about "them" or "stuff" or "locale" or "fit" but rather it's about us and what we want and we have what we want, which is each other and the ability to afford health, safety and comfort.

Can't tell you how many threads we have in all the forums about 'fitting in' this place or that. The Utah forum has always been a great one about trying to fit into a Mormon-heavy state as a non Mormon and many gripe about that. Many others gripe about something called "the Seattle Freeze" or some such perception. There are countless threads about feeling an 'outsider' who can't make friends, be it in Denver or podunk. Not to mention all the trollish threads griping about how all those nasty 'newcomers' from some creepy state are raising home values and cause them to be priced out of the market. Life isn't fair, but it's always the fault of "OTHERS" i.e., got to judge and blame and condemn someone ELSE.

A lot of the griping about not fitting in gets back to that political game of divide and conquer. Decades of being constantly pounded by certain points of view creates a nation where rigidity has set in worse than rigor mortis. Hell, I read about this 30 years ago, in a book called The Closing of the American Mind where the author posits that "...commercial pursuits had become more highly valued than love, the philosophic quest for truth, or the civilized pursuits of honor and glory." If we loved each other we wouldn't see abortion doctors harassed and murdered; we'd work with the population to prevent unwanted / unaffordable pregnancies. But we're taught to judge, condemn and punish what some alleged authority says is 'wrong.'

When I worked for the Army in DC we dealt with truckers, railroaders, shipping lines, etc, from all over the nation and they'd come in for visits now and then. One from Idaho came into town wearing his Idaho cowboy boots, string tie, jeans and stetson hat. He didn't "fit" the button down DC mode of dress but it wasn't about fitting in with DC, he fit in with himself no matter where he went and that's fine, that's what matters.

To thine own self be true. We are all our own fit; locale doesn't matter nor does the drummer we hear.

If Colorado fits your wish list, that's it, you fit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-03-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 02:19 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,332,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmt52 View Post
So I'm wondering, transplants, what have you found in CO? Were people welcoming? Were you able to have the best of both worlds (amenities and outdoors) here? What places would you recommend?

-m
Not sure where in Colorado you are looking....but my experience in Denver metro goes as follows (CA transplant, been here 10 years):

Yes, outdoor recreation all seasons.
Yes, amenities of city-life.
Yes, you can have the best of both worlds.

I don't find anything to be particularly laid-back, aside from manner of dress (possibly).

There are lakes and rivers here, but not nearly as many as you'd think.

No, people are not welcoming. I highly doubt you will find "the kindness and welcoming attitudes of people" anywhere within this state to be bluntly honest. Most people are into their own things and are "live and let live" to the point of comparative isolation IMO.

I would recommend: not here. Why not go back to the Midwest?

Old 09-03-2017, 03:42 PM

The "fit in" thing does exsist, like it or not.

It goes along with how some newcomers, to different small cities or towns, will try and change the area somehow to match something they really miss about where they moved from.

Heck, I remember how "rilled" some So California folks got when people, who had moved there from New York, had a bumper sticker on their vehicle that said "I ❤️ New York".

People can move to wherever they want to in America. Thing is, some places are more "accepting" to newcomers than others. To many newcomers have tied to change some things that locals and long-time residents don't want changed. I've seen this on Threads and replies in both the Wyoming and Montana forums.

There are people here in Florida that have no idea why anyone would want to live in any northern state, including any mountain or plains state.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,104,060 times
I fit in wherever I am living at the time . My girlfriend and I take ourselves with us and that is all we need. We look for like minded people to socialize with. If we don't find them that is ok with us. We have the internet and smart phones anywhere we go. We invite people over for dinner and if they do or don't come back that is ok. There are a myriad of experiences to be found wherever you live. I have never found the Front range person in general to be outgoing but I have found them to be courteous in everyday conversation. There is something about the mystique of Individualism that the mountain west inspires in me and maybe others also. It is the self reliance of the old west perhaps. I don't know if it is the geography or the culture but the collectivism or clannishness of the south and the congeniality of the midwest is not very prevalent in Colorado.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-05-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM

We like "like minded" people as well, but when we don't find them, like we didn't in North Carolina and now in northeastern Florida, we know it's time to go somewhere where there will be at least some "like minded" folks.

We know there are folks in Colorado that care less about the Elk "rut" in RMNP, or rodeo's or relaxing on a boat on a lake there or perhaps some things that Senior Citizens might like to do. But, we do know that there are folks there that like all of those things and we'd be a part of them.

One thing for sure, not all of Colorado is like the Denver metro area!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,407 posts, read 39,749,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure, not all of Colorado is like the Denver metro area!
Isn't Denver really Kansas? (with more TRAFFIC, but without the friendly KS people?)

The 'Proud' Coloradoans were touting their 'greenie' NATIVE bumper stickers when we (CO ranchers) were forced out in the 1970's...

The 'Transplants' (Usually CA and TX money, pre 1996 housing capital gains law) won the battle but lost the paradise.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My wife and I don't "fit" in anywhere

Can't tell you how many threads we have in all the forums about 'fitting in' this place or that.

A lot of the griping about not fitting in gets back to that political game of divide and conquer.

If Colorado fits your wish list, that's it, you fit.
It really is a simple as your bottom line!

The concept of fitting in is really quite absurd if one takes the time to think it thru. IMO, the need, want, desire to fit in is a sign of a needy psychological midget, a person who never got the attention from mommy and daddy that they craved as a child. Childhood is over now folks. Time to grow up and be like Mike!... I don't "fit" in anywhere

Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 13,817 times
Loveland is a great town and Lake Loveland is a blast along with Carter Lake for water recreation. Plus it's fairly large on it's own and somewhat commutable to Fort Collins for work. There is a huge need for Healthcare workers here and so many state/national parks that there should be plenty of opportunities for you partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or