U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:25 PM

20,858 posts, read 39,095,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
It really is a simple as your bottom line!

The concept of fitting in is really quite absurd if one takes the time to think it thru. IMO, the need, want, desire to fit in is a sign of a needy psychological midget, a person who never got the attention from mommy and daddy that they craved as a child. Childhood is over now folks. Time to grow up and be like Mike!... I don't "fit" in anywhere
Thank you Cosmic Juan Kanoby.

I didn't move to COLO SPGS in 2005 to fit in with anyone or anything. I went there FOR ME. Same for my move to AZ in 2016. Both moves were for many reasons, but not to fit in or find community. What community I have (railroad history and other topics) is mostly virtual these days, on line, all over the nation, and I don't even attend their various gatherings.

It's a big nation, room for everyone and their choices. Some want real face to face connectivity to a preferred community. Some don't. We're free to define community any way we wish, by any topic or interest or by its nature (in-person or on-line). Everyone's mileage may vary, but that's fine too. It's all good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 PM

7,336 posts, read 16,607,105 times
Quote:
It really is a simple as your bottom line!

The concept of fitting in is really quite absurd if one takes the time to think it thru. IMO, the need, want, desire to fit in is a sign of a needy psychological midget, a person who never got the attention from mommy and daddy that they craved as a child. Childhood is over now folks. Time to grow up and be like Mike!... I don't "fit" in anywhere
Well , we sure aren't "needy", but definitely know where we don't fit in.....like here!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well , we sure aren't "needy", but definitely know where we don't fit in.....like here!
IMO, wether you think you fit in or think you don't fit in, it's more important to be true to yourself, and just be yourself regardless. Those with whom you fit will be pleased. Those with whon you don't fit will be judging you negatively. That's the way of the world, just about everywhere. Live with it and be at peace, or fight it and stress yourself out. Your choice!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
IMO, wether you think you fit in or think you don't fit in, it's more important to be true to yourself, and just be yourself regardless. Those with whom you fit will be pleased. Those with whon you don't fit will be judging you negatively. That's the way of the world, just about everywhere. Live with it and be at peace, or fight it and stress yourself out. Your choice!
Well, since we've been living here, we've only been able to wear our Western clothes twice. That twice in 9 years! Why only twice, this area is a lot of things, but definitely not really Western, like a lot of Colorado is.
When we know that we can live in an area much more like we liked before, why put up with less.

IOW, there are people in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and some other states that plainly wouldn't want to live here and/or, most likely, fit in.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:35 PM

5,354 posts, read 2,780,052 times
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta grow a thicker skin, too. Populations change, and what "fits" or doesn't fit today could be very different not that far ahead in time.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM

5,354 posts, read 2,780,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, since we've been living here, we've only been able to wear our Western clothes twice. That twice in 9 years! Why only twice, this area is a lot of things, but definitely not really Western, like a lot of Colorado is.
When we know that we can live in an area much more like we liked before, why put up with less.

IOW, there are people in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and some other states that plainly wouldn't want to live here and/or, most likely, fit in.
There is no dress code against western wear in any state. Do you know that FL has rodeos? I think it's in the panhandle.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There is no dress code against western wear in any state. Do you know that FL has rodeos? I think it's in the panhandle.
We know there is no "dress code" against Western clothes in any state, but "common sense" does rule where they can/can't be worn. In any state, if a person was going to a country-western nightclub, western clothes could be/would be worn. Heck, we've got a couple of Western clothes stores here in our area, but they don't sell rodeo gear, horse tack or feed, like we found in Colorado. They mainly sell colorful shirts for going to a nightclub. And, the only nightclub in our area is a city "Redneck" type club.

As far as rodeos go, I use to be a member of PRCA and was in the California Circuit ( when it was first called the Sierra Circuit) and the Mountain States Circuit (Colorado/Wyoming). Actually, when I first bought my Permit, back in the mid 90's, the Association was still called RCA. So, one thing I definitely know about is pro-rodeo. Yes, there are some rodeos here, but nothing like in Colorado, and I do mean nothing, like rodeos in the mountain and plain states. Heck, the rodeos in So Calif. are much better than here!

So, there we are.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 921,849 times
I've lived in TX, NC, PA, FL, and GA all before CO.

There were some places that were fine, others Id never go back. I have a great job here and dont plan to leave as long as I have this position. That said:

Pros:
Weather
People are friendly
Good Food
I enjoy the beer culture
outdoor rec...If you're not into outdoor sports dont bother
housing (have made money off my home)
access to mountains
economy

Cons:
weather...droughts suck and I do like fall weather in the east
exploding population, forget skiing on the weekends
Pot: the pot laws are bringing everyone to the state including bums and potheads
housing: way too expensive for the quality, layouts are terrible, lot sizes suck, 0 privacy in neighborhoods, homes too close together etc....you need $900k to get anything close to the east
Denver...kinda meh, too many bums

Bottom line: my experience is mostly good. i dont know if I will be here forever, but 3-5 years I'm here. There is good and bad with every area. Id consider Grand Rapids MI and buy a boat. I can go on vaca to ski if I want to. I would not move here for pot or because Ohio sucks and you need to get away. You will just be more miserable.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM

468 posts, read 625,800 times
I am having mixed feelings about Colorado but it really isn't Colorado's fault. I am extremely homesick. Had it made sense for us, I would never have left Homer, Alaska. However, people here have been very friendly and I don't have any actual complaints about the place other than it is not Homer. Time will heal that though.

We did have Florida on our list because my parents are there but we didn't really want to go there. Of the two, I am glad we ended up in Colorado. I am pretty sure the place will grow on me. I hope you are somewhere safe now with Irma on the way!

Before Alaska, we lived in Minnesota and that is one state I would definitely go back to in the future. I agree with you on the Mid-west lifestyle.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:20 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,634,290 times
Quote:
+++++

Too bad I can't give you any more rep points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or