Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:22 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I was wondering, too, and I think good insight on your part.

We are a gay couple in Loveland and have had zero problems. Truth be told I don't think people anywhere really give a hoot, and in the west in particular, with the 'mind your own business' mind set, we've found that even in small towns, no body really cares. I think Denver would probably offer more gay-oriented activities such as bars and whatnot, but for acceptance and a good quality of life, I don't see smaller cities and towns in CO as an issue.
To a point, will have to disagree with you here. There are a number of small towns that have few-to-none as far as the GLBT community goes. And, as far as the "mind your own business" mindset goes, it's definitely not a friendly type mindset.

And, the "who cares" thing, that can depend on how a gay or lesbian couple acts in public. Holding hands and other affection.

This Thread isn't about gays or lesbians and I wonder, if the OP and partner are gay, why the OP didn't just say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:29 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To a point, will have to disagree with you here. There are a number of small towns that have few-to-none as far as the GLBT community goes. And, as far as the "mind your own business" mindset goes, it's definitely not a friendly type mindset.

And, the "who cares" thing, that can depend on how a gay or lesbian couple acts in public. Holding hands and other affection.

This Thread isn't about gays or lesbians and I wonder, if the OP and partner are gay, why the OP didn't just say that.
Yes, we shouldn't get off topic too much and we will have to agree to disagree. Having lived here for a number of years now and traveled extensively throughout the state, we've never encountered any discrimination, neither here at home in Loveland nor elsewhere. If one is gay and is searching for a 'gay community', then you're absolutely correct, Denver would be the best option. Personally, that's not what we are into, and have a great community of people in general in our neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I would choose Colorado over Florida and My girlfriend calls me her " partner "I am not sure why. I think on whole Most of Colorado is Progressive even though expensive right now has a lot more positives than negatives.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Sticker shock. It's expensive here. And there's a HUGE difference from the front range and the western slope.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Because it might not be important to them. You are the one who brought up the question of what "partner" means. I have heard it used to mean the other half of a hetero couple, several times.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Because it might not be important to them. You are the one who brought up the question of what "partner" means. I have heard it used to mean the other half of a hetero couple, several times.
BUT, the term can also refer to a gay or lesbian person. I read that as a definition of the word online.

And, I've read different Threads where the OP would ask about a certain area/city, as in, "is the area gay (or lesbian) friendly?"

Some areas are much more "friendly" than others, because the population of the GLBT community is bigger.

I only hope the OP knows there's some big differences between So Florida and The Front Range. Two of the big differences is, in Florida an ice scrapper and snow shovel are definitely NOT needed! But, we still have our ice scrapers and winter parkas from when we lived there.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
From what you've said, I think you'll love it here. We moved here from 20 yrs in the midwest & found it just as friendly & welcoming. Very laid back. BUT, as someone who lives in the Springs, I think Denver is much friendlier. I spend almost all of my socializing time there.

The Springs, while beautiful is VERY, VERY conservative & ultra religious (evangelical) & for us (older DINK liberals with no kids), Denver would have been a much better fit. We don't regret a day of moving to CO though. The Springs is super family oriented & it can be a challenge to make friends if you don't have kids. But, we also work from home, so that makes it even more challenging for us.

ETA: If OP is part of a gay couple, I would think very carefully abt the Springs. The LGBT center here closed down. All of CO is definitely NOT progressive as another poster said. That said, I do have a fair amount of contact with LGBT friends & many are comfortable down here (more the LGB, than the T), but if you are looking for a gay community or widespread acceptance, I would stick to Denver & burbs.

Last edited by MsMetal; 09-01-2017 at 03:53 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 03:45 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

As a native Midwesterner, I can tell Colorado doesn't have the same sense of friendliness as you will find in the Midwest. People are more standoffish and keep to themselves a bit more in the West in general, and that includes Colorado. You won't find people striking up conversations in the checkout line or waving at you as you would in the Midwest, but people aren't really rude either for the most part.

People are generally laid back and pretty authentic. You will find pockets of flashiness, but generally people aren't really as materialistic as you might find in your current situation in Florida. I get the sense that most people find it rather distasteful to put on displays of wealth. People are, for the most part, fit, outdoorsy and active, which sounds like what you're looking for.

What size of town are you looking for? Small town, small city, large city? What line of work are you both in?
I completely disagree with para 1, we found much more strangers striking up convos in Denver, than we ever did in Mpls. But we consider both places to be very friendly. Also on back roads here, everyone waves, which I never experienced in Mpls (DH says that's b/c I never left the city tho'). I finally had to ask DH why all these people were waving to us & he explained it's a country thing. I found my new friendships in the midwest to be far more superficial. The friendships I developed here, were harder to develop, but much deeper. Of course everyone's experience is different.

Totally agree with para 2 though

Old 09-01-2017, 05:18 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I completely disagree with para 1, we found much more strangers striking up convos in Denver, than we ever did in Mpls. But we consider both places to be very friendly. Also on back roads here, everyone waves, which I never experienced in Mpls (DH says that's b/c I never left the city tho'). I finally had to ask DH why all these people were waving to us & he explained it's a country thing. I found my new friendships in the midwest to be far more superficial. The friendships I developed here, were harder to develop, but much deeper. Of course everyone's experience is different.

Totally agree with para 2 though
Guess it depends on from where one's perspective originated. Where from originally, may I ask? Yes, once one develops friendships here, they are as meaningful as anywhere, but they do take longer to develop in my opinion, compared to other areas I've lived, including the midwest, the south and abroad. I don't see midwest friendliness as superficial at all, but on the contrary quite authentic for the most part. That said, the lack of 'in your face' outward friendliness here is also authentic, imo.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:00 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
I'm settled in now, but when I originally moved here, I thought it was pretty great. It was still affordable, the recreational facilities weren't as packed, and traffic wasn't nearly as bad. It was always easy to meet new people, because there were a lot of transplants looking for the same thing. It was surprisingly much easier to find a job here, despite the fact that it was 2008 and I was fresh out of college.

But I could tell where it was headed when I moved here. I remember walking down the street by where I lived (close to the CBD) and seeing all of these out of state license plates parked outside of apartment buildings. I knew it was only a matter of time for this place really took off. I didn't suspect that it'd be at the rate that it has been.

Overall, my experience has been much better here compared to back home. However, there's no way I could afford this place 10 years ago like I did then on the $32k I accepted as my first job out of college. We aren't in a recession now, but many of us who entered the workforce back then took a big hit on our salaries and earning potential. I've made up for by switching jobs every few years, which thankfully, has been easier here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado