Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuQiuAi19 View Post
For all those people comparing Colorado to the Midwest, Colorado is NOT part of the Midwest. Colorado culture is very different (some people have commented on the "live and let live" mentality and lack of open friendliness - that goes back to the mountain man days where you didn't make friends with the newcomers because they most likely wouldn't last the first winter).

The main problem in Colorado is the sheer number of people who have moved here over the past 10 years. Like the outdoors? Trails, ski resorts, national parks are so overcrowded it is literally ruining the environment. Flocking to the mountains over the weekend is such a fad, even in the summer the drive takes hours now.

Prices have become outrageous, housing in particular, and locals do not want to hear how "reasonable" these prices are compared to California and New York.

Perhaps some of the lack of friendliness people experience comes from locals being pushed out by people who think they can move to Colorado and "make it their own". The number of people moving here are ruining the local culture, environment, and beauty.

For the sake of the rest of us, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Love these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 PM

468 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmt52 View Post
Hi all -

Thanks for the thoughts.

We evacuated for Hurricane Irma and stayed with my in-laws in Michigan. We were unable to get a flight back right away, so we ended up being there for ~10 days.

After being back in our home state of Michigan, attending a wedding, visiting a friend's new baby and catching up with old friends, we've decided the Midwest is where we belong. We are hoping to move back in the next year. We've found that all of our time off and vacation funds have gone to flying 'home' for visits and we haven't been able to take any other trips. We think we would be able to travel and adventure more if our home base was close to family and friends.

Colorado, I'll see you for my next vacation.

Best,
M
I am glad you were safe. Colorado has grown on me more (or my homesickness has lessened) since I responded but I know what you mean. A couple of weeks after moving here, I drove back to MN to see my parents and old friends. As soon as I was back, I felt home. I plan on enjoying this waypoint to its fullest but when we are done here, I will be at the cabin in MN.

You will also definitely be able to travel more from the Midwest over Florida. In a way, it is a microcosm of what we had to do when when we lived in AK. Most of getting where we wanted to go was just getting out of AK! Enjoy your next CO vacation!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:53 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuQiuAi19 View Post
For all those people comparing Colorado to the Midwest, Colorado is NOT part of the Midwest. Colorado culture is very different (some people have commented on the "live and let live" mentality and lack of open friendliness - that goes back to the mountain man days where you didn't make friends with the newcomers because they most likely wouldn't last the first winter).

The main problem in Colorado is the sheer number of people who have moved here over the past 10 years. Like the outdoors? Trails, ski resorts, national parks are so overcrowded it is literally ruining the environment. Flocking to the mountains over the weekend is such a fad, even in the summer the drive takes hours now.

Prices have become outrageous, housing in particular, and locals do not want to hear how "reasonable" these prices are compared to California and New York.

Perhaps some of the lack of friendliness people experience comes from locals being pushed out by people who think they can move to Colorado and "make it their own". The number of people moving here are ruining the local culture, environment, and beauty.

For the sake of the rest of us, I suggest you look elsewhere.
That is EXACTLY what people are saying about the Portland, Oregon area.
Almost to the word.

We just had one of the most beautiful areas of Oregon burn down (Columbia River Gorge) because of out of state teenagers shooting off fireworks in the woods.

Don't feel alone!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Hey, everyone, read what we think of Colorado and the Front Range. I think it’s my last reply. The Front Range is still beautiful and not all of the state has been taken over by relocaters.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I started this thread in May 2007, less than a year after relocating to Grand Junction from Virginia Beach Virginia.

11 Years later, I am still living in Grand Junction!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:52 AM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
dont know if the numbers are correct but the denver population may have grown 30% in the last 10 years? I dont think this bad my self.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
dont know if the numbers are correct but the denver population may have grown 30% in the last 10 years? I dont think this bad my self.
For the “working class” of people, that can be good. Those folks want nice salaries and big metro areas with large populations offer just that. That is where big/major companies are.

Now, for retirees, not so good. They really want a much slower paced, much smaller population that includes a lot less crime than large cities with large populations.

BTW, wife and I fit into the “retiree” area.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 PM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
we are retired too and recently moved from Brighton to south denver sobo area.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
we are retired too and recently moved from Brighton to south denver sobo area.
Those areas, aka Denver Metro, would never be for us. For us, back in 2004 thru Oct 2007, Parker was our area. Today, WAY to many people there now. Loveland or Cheyenne should be fine for us, but we will see next year when we visit for a week. We’ve been to Cheyenne and it was ok to fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado