U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM

196 posts, read 133,984 times

Advertisements

We visit Steamboat often because hubby has family there, and it's a fantastic town. I would move there in a heartbeat if logistics allowed. I'd recommend making a visit and chatting with locals. There are definitely mountain views to be had from the right vantage point - maybe get in touch with a local realtor to show you around?

Skiing is great, and in the summer Steamboat Lake is fabulous for being out on the water if you're into that. There are plenty of festivities downtown around the year - we've enjoyed all of the community events we've been to!

Vail and Aspen both feel a little stuffy for me personally. That being said, I enjoy vacationing at both - just not where I'd want to raise my family.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 50,991 times
Thanks for the replies! I am in Colorado now doing some recon. Avon/edwards actually impressed me a lot more than i thought it would.

In snowmass village now. Gearing up to explore for the next couple days. Then north to steamboat to wrap up trip. Hopefully the snow lets up so I can get my little rental car around safely!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,198,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am in Colorado now doing some recon. Avon/edwards actually impressed me a lot more than i thought it would.

In snowmass village now. Gearing up to explore for the next couple days. Then north to steamboat to wrap up trip. Hopefully the snow lets up so I can get my little rental car around safely!
Sounds good, you will like Avon/Edwards
We used to live in Gypsum (down Valley from Avon)
I used to ski Vail/BC a lot during mid week and crowds were pretty non existent. One of thebest powder days of my life was at Vail mid week-dropping into Sun Up bowl with 12 inches of untracked blower pow. Will never forget it.

Too many mid week pow days at BC to remember.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM

In steamboat now. It’s a very nice place but feeling completely underwhelmed with the views when comparing to my days just spent in aspen/snowmass. Went on a hike yesterday from Snowmass Village up to the ridge line behind the grocery store. Only took about 10 or 15 minutes and my jaw dropped seeing those vistas. It was actually overwhelmingly beautiful to me. And imagining having that out my back door is having me very close to pulling the trigger on a condo there.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 AM

5,313 posts, read 7,149,157 times
Quote:
In steamboat now. Itís a very nice place but feeling completely underwhelmed with the views when comparing to my days just spent in aspen/snowmass. Went on a hike yesterday from Snowmass Village up to the ridge line behind the grocery store. Only took about 10 or 15 minutes and my jaw dropped seeing those vistas. It was actually overwhelmingly beautiful to me. And imagining having that out my back door is having me very close to pulling the trigger on a condo there.
Steamboat is at much lower elevation - makes a big difference in some of the scenery and also what happens in summer. The Yampa River is one of the most pristine river systems left in the country. Hope it stays that way.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:52 AM

830 posts, read 645,351 times
Have you been to / thought about / investigated Park City Utah? Significantly less expensive than Aspen (I think the average sale price in town is $800,000 or $900,000), two world-class ski resorts in town (Deer Valley has no snowboarders) and many other ski resorts within a short drive.

40 minutes from SLC International Airport that very very seldom is impacted by weather.

The mountains are definitely not as beautiful / rugged as the Rockies, but still a good community with skiing, mountain biking, hiking, hunting, golf, boating on the Jordanelle Reservoir (although the season is relatively short), lots of Youth and school activities also, including your typical football basketball, great high school lacrosse team and ski team.

There's definitely the touristy aspect and the seldom-used 2nd 3rd or 4th home but also semi normal people who have moved from all over the World for the winter and summer activities. Not a huge Mormon influence like other parts of Utah.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:06 AM

I believe the views in park city would be similar to steamboat. No giant dramatic peaks to enjoy every day. Correct?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,803,688 times
Quote:
I believe the views in park city would be similar to steamboat. No giant dramatic peaks to enjoy every day. Correct?
I'd say the views from town are better in Park City, but no where near as nice as the Aspen area.

Park City's advantages are price and 30-40 mins to a large metro. If you have to travel for work or the family likes/needs a lot of shopping options PC is great.

btw, ranking views is tough. Generally places close to the slopes are so close you can't see a lot of mountain peaks. Plus, when you live in Colorado you love the views, but they aren't rare anymore.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 13,683 times
Agree with the other posters, it really depends on what your ultimate goals are with living in these communities. Durango is an amazing suggestion however it is vastly different than Aspen/Snowmass, Avon, and Steamboat. Personally I LOVE Snowmass and have a few associates that raised families up there and were happy with their experiences in the school system. If skiing is important to you then Vail, Avon, and Snowmass are really amazing. While you will be able to beat out some of the crowds by skiing midweek, it is such a ski destination that there will always be people out. Yet, since it's further in I find it doesn't get as much overcrowding as some of the other resorts I go to. Also I love how much there is to explore in the summertime near Snowmass!

Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Update! We have booked a year lease in Snowmass Village starting Jan 1. Beyond excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or