U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 16,297 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Colorodo springs interested to see the dark sky / stargazing from Westcliffe - Jack Observatory, Bluff Park.

Can i drive into the Westcliffe town(from colorado springs) around night after 10pm just to see the night sky and drive back after few hours.

Are there any restrictions to driving into the town during night time considering the towns are recognized as Dark Sky communities.

How is the night sky during half-moon days? Any suggestions and tips. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 AM

4,756 posts, read 4,870,025 times
I'd recommend not driving in rural areas at night. I think the risk of hitting a deer and getting your car damaged is too high. Deer really are stupid animals and they can and will jump in front of your car at night.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM

3,035 posts, read 2,057,743 times
There are no restrictions with driving at night in Westcliffe that I've ever seen. Restrictions are predominately with buildings and commercial lighting.

Driving in the mountains at night does require some extra attention as Vision points out, and Westcliffe is in a mountain valley.

More info:
http://cliffhangersguide.com/
Dark Skies, Inc. of the Wet Mountain Valley, Westcliffe, Colorado, Homepage

Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,120,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner14 View Post
I am visiting Colorodo springs interested to see the dark sky / stargazing from Westcliffe - Jack Observatory, Bluff Park.

Can i drive into the Westcliffe town(from colorado springs) around night after 10pm just to see the night sky and drive back after few hours.

Are there any restrictions to driving into the town during night time considering the towns are recognized as Dark Sky communities.

You might want to consider staying overnight in Pueblo or Canon City. Both are on the way to Westcliffe (depending on the route you take) and that way you could already be halfway there in the daylight and not have the longer drive home at night over unfamiliar roads.

Just a thought. Not sure where you're coming from but driving at night in Colorado can be a different experience than what you may be used to.

Canon City is the prettier drive; and you might be interested in seeing the Royal Gorge (Top Colorado Springs Attractions | Royal Gorge Bridge & Park) before heading to Westcliffe.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM

4,858 posts, read 9,589,428 times
Gunner, I agree that driving back from Westcliffe to CS is not a good idea for anyone not familiar with the roads. Even Pueblo is over 50 miles. Why not just spend the night in Westcliffe? It's a cute little town.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM

4,618 posts, read 1,305,927 times
If you have a day or so, I'd stay in Westcliffe and explore that beautiful area a bit. The Sangre de Cristo trails right there are spectacular and the town itself is a quaint place to enjoy for half a day or so. Driving across the Wet Mountains at night would be pretty dangerous.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM

5,280 posts, read 2,726,476 times
Half moon is still pretty bright. The closer to the new moon date, the better the stargazing.

I have never heard of any municipality outlawing night driving. That's just not going to happen in this country.

Recently, I wanted to do some stargazing at a good place only about 11 miles from home. I also didn't want to add to the plethora of deerkill, skunk kill, raccoon kill, muskrat kill, etc that have plastered our roads during the entire summer. I got a nice campsite during the afternoon, enjoyed a wonderful hike, stargazed, and did another fine hike the next morning. All with the benefit of hot showers, bathrooms with flush toilets, and beautiful surroundings.

Highly recommend making your jaunt a micro-vacation!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Half moon is still pretty bright. The closer to the new moon date, the better the stargazing.

I have never heard of any municipality outlawing night driving. That's just not going to happen in this country.

Recently, I wanted to do some stargazing at a good place only about 11 miles from home. I also didn't want to add to the plethora of deerkill, skunk kill, raccoon kill, muskrat kill, etc that have plastered our roads during the entire summer. I got a nice campsite during the afternoon, enjoyed a wonderful hike, stargazed, and did another fine hike the next morning. All with the benefit of hot showers, bathrooms with flush toilets, and beautiful surroundings.

Highly recommend making your jaunt a micro-vacation!
I was going to suggest camping, because there's a great campground in Westcliffe with sites that afford great views of the valley (with mysterious lights at night to boot). But I didn't because usually if someone is a camper, they'll mention it in their post.

OP, if you're into camping, you might want to check this out as another option: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psic...a/?recid=12703

Old 09-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,334 posts, read 39,604,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner14 View Post

Can i drive into the Westcliffe town(from colorado springs) around night after 10pm just to see the night sky and drive back after few hours....
Night driving in CO is delightful (with a few risks).

I did 7 yrs OTR truck driving (100% at night) in WY, CO, SD, NE (in each state daily 3x / week ) Lots of Open Range, no deer strikes (yet)...

LOVE night driving on the Prairie, but Mtns OK too!

DARK nights, tough to see / drive = PNW Rain / overcast (200+ nights / yr) w/ 300' tall trees lining the roadway But... if you get out this way... Goldendale observatory 2 hrs east of RAIN!
http://www.goldendaleobservatory.com/visit.html

NZ beats the 'night light', it was superb star gazing and a different hemisphere for new sights!
We had a lot of Mtn Campgrounds that you wanted to stay up all night watching the sky.That is OK cuz nights (in DEC and JAN) are very short! 11PM till 4 AM

Yes, don't miss stargazing! The drive is nothing. (Be careful) Sleepy / distracted drivers are a WORSE threat...(24x7)

Old 09-28-2017, 10:09 PM

Like Elvis ... the OP has left the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or