U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,504,991 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to plan a late October Trip from the 25th-29th and are possibly interested in Colorado. We've always wanted to visit Estes Park, but from what I'm reading, late October might not be the best time (please correct me if I'm wrong). We will be flying in from San Francisco, and will have a rental vehicle as well.

We don't mind cooler temperatures at night, but would like the daytime to be warm enough to be outside, hike, etc... (preferably 50s at the minimum, Mid-High 40s doable as well ). We would also love somewhere "scenic", and if fall colors are still around that'd be a huge plus. We basically want somewhere nice to relax, hike, and enjoy our anniversary. Also, for accommodations, we will be renting a Cabin, or getting a nice hotel (upscale, resort, spa, etc...).

Any and all help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
Fall colors are usually over at high elevations by that date, and mostly at low elevations too. Peak was probably a few days ago here. It is not unlikely that some of the roads in RMNP will be closed at that time. Estes Park is nice year round, though - just depends on your expectations and what you want to do.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Fall colors are usually over at high elevations by that date, and mostly at low elevations too. Peak was probably a few days ago here. It is not unlikely that some of the roads in RMNP will be closed at that time. Estes Park is nice year round, though - just depends on your expectations and what you want to do.
If place are open & accessible, that's the main thing. Like I said, hiking would be a huge plus as well. RMNP looks awesome, so some access would be good

I expected the fall colors to be gone, but worth an ask!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Likely a bit late for fall colors, but really depends on wind / snow.

Estes is often very beautiful and mild in Oct (That can change...)

We honeymooned on Fall River road; west-side of Estes Park. And will someday return to that creekside cabin (High above creek, (so not flooded...) but very quiet and secluded. Built in 1950's with stone fireplace and loft. (Been 40 yrs... don't remember the name))

I am gonna guess it was "Pine Haven"
Black Bear / or Daniel Boone cabin (whatever is on the River with fireplace and loft)
There are several lodges / vintage stays nearby.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
See this: Colorado fall colors guide: where and when to see the best fall foliage | 9news.com

And this: 20 Colorado hikes for spectacular fall color — The Know from The Denver Post

The state parks around Denver/Boulder, e.g. Roxborough, Golden Gate Canyon, and Eldorado Canyon may still have some color left by then.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:55 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Greg, you can also check the TripAdvisor Colorado forum. There are quite a few threads discussing your very same question.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Greg, you can also check the TripAdvisor Colorado forum. There are quite a few threads discussing your very same question.
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 PM

826 posts, read 1,605,476 times
Probably no fall colors, the pass may be closed, but it should be very beautiful nonetheless. Temperatures are likely to be very pleasant and there should be many hiking opportunities. Many miles of roads will be open and there will be few to share them with. Much of the wildlife will be active. There may well be fresh snow on the peaks. I'd make tentative plans to go.

But! Check the weather and have alternate destinations just in case.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Probably no fall colors, the pass may be closed, but it should be very beautiful nonetheless. Temperatures are likely to be very pleasant and there should be many hiking opportunities. Many miles of roads will be open and there will be few to share them with. Much of the wildlife will be active. There may well be fresh snow on the peaks. I'd make tentative plans to go.

But! Check the weather and have alternate destinations just in case.
Thanks for the info/heads up!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Only a vague guess at this point but this forecast https://m.accuweather.com/en/us/este.../332231?page=2 for those days is mainly highs of mid to upper 50s. Freezing for the low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado