U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 AM

838 posts, read 523,837 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I dont go out much, work 40 - 50 hour weeks, so the times that I do go out I want to drive around some nice scenery? maybe some towns? drive around a cool lake even!

But just looking for something safe. Ive heard rampart reservoir is pretty nice drive; esp the oct/nov months.

any other recommendations? I drove and BBQd in the stand by 11 mile river? That was neat! ALso ATVd and took my BBQ pit to dankan road by rainbow falls. I really like that also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 AM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
There are three nice drives that go up 24/Ute Pass, head south on 67 - then you take either Phantom Canyon, High Drive, or Shelf Road down into the Canon City area and come back up 115 or I-25 if you prefer. You could also drive up Old Stage Road/Gold Camp Road to 67 and back down 24 or vice versa. You could also just stay on 24 into South Park and then go north or south however far you want and come back. It can also be fun to head east sometimes - 24 or 94 and take some of the back roads - go to Elbert, Calhan, Ramah, Peyton, Ellicott, Edison, Hanover, etc. - get a road atlas and plan a route. For a longer drive - going down to Pueblo and heading out US 50 and/or 96 has lots of cool little towns.....

Old 09-27-2017, 04:02 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Bishop Castle near Rye, Lake Isabel, driving thru and poking around the Wet Mountains would be a flexible, not too far out option. Cripple Creek & outskirts. Browns Canyon outside Salida. Garden of Gods. Grand Lake before winter hits. Same for Red Feather Lakes northeast of Fort Collins.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM

826 posts, read 1,605,476 times
Since you mention Rampart Range Road (a beautiful and interesting road) I will assume you are looking for drives near Colorado Springs.

Phantom Canyon Road from Victor down to US 50 near Florence is one of my favorites. Just to the west is the Shelf Road running from Cripple Creek to Canon City. Four wheel drive is usually recommended; at the minimum you want a vehicle with some clearance.

In the post above there is reference to the "High Drive". I assume they meant the High Park Road within the Gold Belt Scenic Tour route. See High Park Road - Gold Belt Byway . For an interesting town, deviate a bit to go through Guffey. I find the drive up Highway 9 through South Park to be interesting, but it is not as spectacular as some other roads.

67 is a great drive almost anywhere. You can loop from Woodland Park south to Victor then back up to Cripple Creek, then Teller 1 back to US 24. Or go north from Woodland Park through Deckers and up to Sedalia.

Another favorite is 77 from Lake George up through the ghost town of Tarryall, then on up to US285.

The loop south from Florence on 67 to 96 then over to Silver Cliff/Westcliff is about as good as it gets. You can take 69 back north to US 50.

I love the drive along the Arkansas River from Canon City over to Salida. Every road from there north, south, or west is worth seeing.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:12 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Bishop Castle near Rye, Lake Isabel, driving thru and poking around the Wet Mountains would be a flexible, not too far out option. Cripple Creek & outskirts. Browns Canyon outside Salida. Garden of Gods. Grand Lake before winter hits. Same for Red Feather Lakes northeast of Fort Collins.
Oh yeah the Rye/Lake Isabel area is a nice drive!

Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Alpine Loop - Colorado Scenic Byway: Alpine Loop | Colorado.com

Hwy 65 over the Grand Mesa, HWY 133 through Paonia Crawford, HWY 90 from Montrose to the Uncompahgre Plateau, Owl Creek Pass from Ridgway to Silverjack Reservoir

Old 09-27-2017, 04:55 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,901,271 times
Where do you start your drive?

How far do you want to go?

Which day of week?

Old 10-02-2017, 09:47 AM

838 posts, read 523,837 times
Ahh sorry, I should have put more details. So, I start in Colorado Springs. Far out... Probably 2 3 hours out max; unless I am staying the area.

I appreciate all of your inputs.

Any cool ghost towns thats safe besides st elmo? I would like to do the alpine loop, but Not sure if its safe for a full size truck. My big concern is safety. (unless I am by myself with my ATV; then I am pretty wild ha ha)

Actually, in case anyone is interested. Hidden vally road is pretty cool up rainbow falls. Has some small ponds. I mean, just dont take the wrong turn or you will end up in a technical spot! haha! pretty nice drive, and get a tiny feel of offroading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado