U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:35 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times

Advertisements

My co-traveler just "talked to somebody" and we're getting ready to go.

I am following the leader here but I will not go as fast!

Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 PM

311 posts, read 143,463 times
Is there an upside to these winter storms? In other words, though one storm doesn't make a forecast, it would seem that the more moisture that falls and is absorbed the better, considering the dangerous fire risk in 2018. I know . . . this one storm isn't state wide, and overall it can't make up for the catastrophically-low amount of snow that fell this past winter. But better late that never.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My co-traveler just "talked to somebody" and we're getting ready to go.

I am following the leader here but I will not go as fast!
Best of luck to you!

Which route did you end up taking?

Old 04-21-2018, 04:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
This hazardous weather outlook is for eastern Utah and western
Colorado.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Areas of moderate snowfall will decrease this morning in the
mountains of Colorado as a storm move out of the area and into the
plains states. Weather conditions will steadily improve this
afternoon and tonight from west to east.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday

Dry weather is expected Sunday with a slight chance of showers
over the northern and central Colorado and Utah mountains Sunday
night.

A storm approaching from the northwest will bring a chance of
showers to the mountains of the Continental Divide Monday through
Tuesday night.

A cold front will bring another chance of showers to the
Continental Divide Thursday.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,906,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Jim, is there a way to go from Limon to Montrose that skips Monarch Pass?
Take U.s. Hwy 24 out of Limon to Colorado Springs. When you get to the Springs get on Academy Blvd. southbound. It winds its way around east Colorado Springs and goes by Fort Carson. Look for Colorado state highway 115 as it will take you to Canon City. Mostly a two laner, but some passing lanes have helped with traffic. It's a good road. And 115 dead ends at U.S. Highway 50, turn right on 50 and go into Canon City. Stay on 50 all the way to Montrose BDL, and I know ya know the way to your place from there!

Been on the road non stop the last 12 hours-- will give everyone a road/storm report as I was in Denver early this morning, Colorado Springs at 9 this morning, Salida at noon, Montrose at 3 this afternoon. For now----

Well, AFAIC the big up slope storm that the Denver stations predicted kind of went pffftt! Left Englewood at 6 this morning, no snow on the ground but the skies were mixing light snow and rain to Castle Rock. From there to Monument was a disapointment and actually north Colorado Springs had an inch or two on the ground as I went through. Roads were wet until I got about ten miles from Canon City and about an inch or snow was on the ground on both sides of town and ran out of rain when I got past Parkdale. Dry and partly cloudy was the word pretty much all the way to Salida. Snow kicked in when you go past the boarded up Monarch ski lodge. (God it depresses me to see that thing empty--sad!) Road up and over Monarch Pass was wet but fine, not slushy, not icy. Didn't see any CDot trucks except at their workyards. and not on the Pass itself.

Very little traffic in each lane on 50, I like that a bunch-lately 70 from Vail to Eagle gets on my nerves and there WILL be lots of guardrail repair, rock remediation, and paving starting next month--count on it! Back to 50--road dry from State hwy 114 turn off to the old Cochetopa Pass and dry all the way past Blue Mesa Reservoir. Water level is down, not surprising. What IS surprising is when I got to the bottom of Monarch there was little snow on the ground from Sargents all the way to Parlin. Then when you got to the bottom of the hill and go thru that itty bitty mini canyon just west of Morrow Point Dam, I ran into a little snow for a few minutes and that was it for snow. Dry all the way to Mesa County.

Not much of a storm to my eyes and its sad. Then again, when I left early this morning the tv weather guys were emphasizing a winter weather advisory, not a winter storm warning. Well, at least the eastern plains, Kansas and Oklahoma are getting a soaking, I hope.

Not good.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-21-2018 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Is there an upside to these winter storms? In other words, though one storm doesn't make a forecast, it would seem that the more moisture that falls and is absorbed the better, considering the dangerous fire risk in 2018. I know . . . this one storm isn't state wide, and overall it can't make up for the catastrophically-low amount of snow that fell this past winter. But better late that never.
There is an upside to every snowflake that falls. It’s all stored water.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,534 times
Just posting here for grins...
Indeed DoubleH last week's storm definitely went "pffftt". Our forecast was for 8-10" and we got 4.
Forecast for today was 1-3", just measured 9". We'll take it!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 PM

32mph wind and blowing dust near Montrose. So much for winter.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
32mph wind and blowing dust near Montrose. So much for winter.
No bueno

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.o...-for-snowmelt/

Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM

^ Well if I did have snow it would look bad but all we have here is dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or