U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,394,760 times

Advertisements

61 here and sunny. Was outside in my tshirt

Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Dusting here in Fountain/Security/Widefield also - pretty chilly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The funny thing is yesterday Pueblo had a record high of 71 and now today it was snowing and in the teens all morning barely low 20's now. Typical Colorado weather lol.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 AM

13,290 posts, read 25,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here in the Northeast (Mass.) it's been zero and below at night, and I'm watching the temps on the Western Slope and it's bizarre. Can people ski at Telluride? I don't think skiers come from all over to ski with a snow-making machine. They can get that in Vermont all too often. Are businesses hurting from this weather?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,394,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Here in the Northeast (Mass.) it's been zero and below at night, and I'm watching the temps on the Western Slope and it's bizarre. Can people ski at Telluride? I don't think skiers come from all over to ski with a snow-making machine. They can get that in Vermont all too often. Are businesses hurting from this weather?
T-Ride has 3 slopes open I think. Powderhorn one.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:32 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
The odd 2 snow storms Pueblo had was caused by the power plants.

This was from the national weather service in Pueblo:

This event was definitely an interesting one. I believe that those regions had snowfall was because of the enhancement of water vapor in the air due to the power plants. The upslope flow up the Arkansas River Valley provided enough "lift" for that air to continuously condense and precipitation since the low levels were saturated from the power plants. If the power plants weren't there, those areas would have likely not seen the snow.

Where I live, we still almost have around half inch on the ground. Crazy!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,165,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The odd 2 snow storms Pueblo had was caused by the power plants.

This was from the national weather service in Pueblo:

This event was definitely an interesting one. I believe that those regions had snowfall was because of the enhancement of water vapor in the air due to the power plants. The upslope flow up the Arkansas River Valley provided enough "lift" for that air to continuously condense and precipitation since the low levels were saturated from the power plants. If the power plants weren't there, those areas would have likely not seen the snow.

Where I live, we still almost have around half inch on the ground. Crazy!
Amazing - we had snow here too in the Fountain Valley but it is all long gone.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM

16,505 posts, read 20,899,000 times
The 5 day forecast is promising--barely. A system is rolling in sometime Saturday with possibly 4 to 6 inches up on the Grand Mesa. Temps have been 10 to 12 degrees above normal for pretty much all of last month and the last few days of this month. Only one snow in GJ area for the season, just enough to cover the ground, was gone in 2 hours. On some of the ski bases, Powderhorn up on the Grand Mesa is now open only 3 days a week. Wolf Creek is reporting an 18" ski base. Not good, I remember past seasons where they come in with an 80-90 inch base in the first month of January.

While this is making for a cheaper utility bill, the downside is obvious. AFAIC one word fits here-worrisome.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,586,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The funny thing is yesterday Pueblo had a record high of 71 and now today it was snowing and in the teens all morning barely low 20's now. Typical Colorado weather lol.
Wife and I remember, when we lived in Parker, it got warm enough one week for the floating docks to be put out at the Boat Launch by the dam. I believe this was in either April or early May. Anyway, the following Sunday night a Cold Front hit along with a snowstorm. We got around six or so inches. The following Wednesday, that Front was gone and High Pressure sit in with temps in the high 70's. All of the snow melted and by the weekend, there were sailboats and powerboats on Chatfield and CC lake/reservoirs.

I remember another time, I got home (Parker) from work in downtown Denver and turned on the tv. It was 4:15PM. Local news stated that snow was falling like crazy in Denver, but in Parker/at our house, the sun was completely out, like the middle of summer. Very odd, but true.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 AM

2,019 posts, read 4,322,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The 5 day forecast is promising--barely. A system is rolling in sometime Saturday with possibly 4 to 6 inches up on the Grand Mesa. Temps have been 10 to 12 degrees above normal for pretty much all of last month and the last few days of this month. Only one snow in GJ area for the season, just enough to cover the ground, was gone in 2 hours. On some of the ski bases, Powderhorn up on the Grand Mesa is now open only 3 days a week. Wolf Creek is reporting an 18" ski base. Not good, I remember past seasons where they come in with an 80-90 inch base in the first month of January.
While this is making for a cheaper utility bill, the downside is obvious. AFAIC one word fits here-worrisome.

(can't rep you again yet.)
Colorado Snowpack Tied For Worst Start In 33 Years CBS Denver
But not as bad as January 1977: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/loca...as-even-worse/

Old 01-05-2018, 10:59 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I note on the Pikes Peak Cams that there's NO snow on top, should be lots of snow up there in January.
- Railway cam is here.
- City cam is here, with views in 8 directions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or